Rebounding | The Boneyard

Rebounding

Reaction Score
Okay so we were concerned about rebounding vs. them and frankly vs anyone right? Well 46-32 last night was a tremendous and exciting outcome without a doubt. But what was there most exciting about that particular stat? The fact we saw so many rebounds which hit the floor and we chased down. And many of those were so good because it was obvious people had their butts in Orange bodies boxing them out like we've been asking for years. Jalen Adams and Cobb were always hitting people first when the shots went up, as were Vital, Smith and Yakwe.

Love the coaching we've seen and the growth of some. Cobb 29 minutes? Who would've ever thunk that LOL. I know it's one game but he has what we saw and has always had it but it never emerged. If Hurley just grabbed that out of him I will be so impressed. So many things I see from each guy and the hard work is already showing up so fun to watch.

Still the key is to see that same passion tonight as I said before. I am so interested to see how they come out tonight, if I see what I hope my excitement will be crazy. I'm guessing they won't go 12-21 from 3 so they will need to gut one out against a solid Iowa team if they do, wow!

Reaction Score
I will be pleasantly surprised if we are as hot from 3 as we were last night. I feel like tonight will involve more run-outs and less 3 point attempts, although Iowa did settle into a zone quite a bit last night, they don't rely on it and don't play it like the fruit. It will be interesting to see how they react tonight and how effective Hurley is at getting them to focus after such a high last night.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Okay so we were concerned about rebounding vs. them and frankly vs anyone right? Well 46-32 last night was a tremendous and exciting outcome without a doubt. But what was there most exciting about that particular stat? The fact we saw so many rebounds which hit the floor and we chased down. And many of those were so good because it was obvious people had their butts in Orange bodies boxing them out like we've been asking for years. Jalen Adams and Cobb were always hitting people first when the shots went up, as were Vital, Smith and Yakwe.

Love the coaching we've seen and the growth of some. Cobb 29 minutes? Who would've ever thunk that LOL. I know it's one game but he has what we saw and has always had it but it never emerged. If Hurley just grabbed that out of him I will be so impressed. So many things I see from each guy and the hard work is already showing up so fun to watch.

Still the key is to see that same passion tonight as I said before. I am so interested to see how they come out tonight, if I see what I hope my excitement will be crazy. I'm guessing they won't go 12-21 from 3 so they will need to gut one out against a solid Iowa team if they do, wow!

Great post. Rebounding is so important to Chief and the more people tell Chief it’s not so important - we find out in combat it is. Coach Calhoun always took great pride in so often leading the nation in rebounding , and deservedly so. It’s good to see it’s a top priority of Coach Hurley and while it’s a team effort let’s give the Bigs Coach some credit too. As you know, it use to drive Chief crazy that a former Bigs coach did NOT make it a priority.

Reaction Score
Totally agree mau. It was SO obvious when a shot went up you saw the guards getting a body on someone and going for the ball. Simple stuff but it works and it wasn't happening the past few years. Such a pleasure to see the basics being coached.

Reaction Score
Something recent teams failed to realize is that just because you are positioned close to the basket doesn't make it good rebounding position. Guys would be standing under the basket only to have an offensive player run in and seal them under the basket after the shot went up. In the UMKC game, I noticed Cobb literally looking around in the lane for someone to put a body on. That's clearly coaching. Some of our big men aren't natural rebounders (where as someone like Vitale is), but we are going to be fundamentally strong.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Great post. Rebounding is so important to Chief and the more people tell Chief it’s not so important - we find out in combat it is. Coach Calhoun always took great pride in so often leading the nation in rebounding , and deservedly so. It’s good to see it’s a top priority of Coach Hurley and while it’s a team effort let’s give the Bigs Coach some credit too. As you know, it use to drive Chief crazy that a former Bigs coach did NOT make it a priority.

Does anybody say this? Anybody at all?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
With AG now, Jalen doesn't have to hang back to guard against the break. Allowing him to do his best Shabazz little guy rebounding impression.

A healthy AG is going to be the best thing that ever happened to Jalen.

C

Chief00

Does anybody say this? Anybody at all?
Yes, they do! How Polley can spread the floor as a 4 power forward and so on. How rebounds go further out due to so many 3’s that guards can get the rebounds. Therefore, the boxing out close to the basket stuff is outdated. While there is some truth to that - rebounding seems so correlated with winning. Yesterday, we got rebounds in the paint and won.

Reaction Score
Yes, they do! How Polley can spread the floor as a 4 power forward and so on. How rebounds go further out due to so many 3’s that guards can get the rebounds. Therefore, the boxing out close to the basket stuff is outdated. While there is some truth to that - rebounding seems so correlated with winning. Yesterday, we got rebounds in the paint and won.

Have to say out rebounding them by 14 while losing the turnover stat by a good margin shows how important rebounding is have to agree.

C

Chief00

Chief takes some good natured kidding about being so old school rebound focused and seeing the value in Cobb even after a tough early game that even Chief was disappointed in him.
Do I feel some vindication after criticizing the extremely complicated zone rebound schemes of a former Bigs Coach at UConn? Of course, I do. It’s so much easier to play man and when the ball goes up, find his body and hit it so that you are between the ball and him. That why I sympathize with Enoch for looking slow despite being athletic. Simple fundamentals are key. You don’t need to over think it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Chief takes some good natured kidding about being so old school rebound focused and seeing the value in Cobb even after a tough early game that even Chief was disappointed in him.
Do I feel some vindication after criticizing the extremely complicated zone rebound schemes of a former Bigs Coach at UConn? Of course, I do. It’s so much easier to play man and when the ball goes up, find his body and hit it so that you are between the ball and him. That why I sympathize with Enoch for looking slow despite being athletic. Simple fundamentals are key. You don’t need to over think it.

Well even out of the zone Enoch didn't look too good and didn't box out like he should. Sorry but while I hope he does well and he wasn't coached well here obviously, he still didn't play hard and knew that boxing out was important. He didn't do it because no one told him to? Not - he just didn't pay hard here. Shouldn't need the coach to be good at that sorry.

KO was awful nonetheless, good to have some UConn heart back in the system thanks Dan!

Reaction Score
A healthy AG is going to be the best thing that ever happened to Jalen.
Totally agree. AG plus Smith should take pressure off JA to be “the man” and feel like he has to force his offense. Would like to see JA settle down just a bit and let the flow come to him. With his talent, thinking he may be even more of an offensive weapon if he would.

C

Chief00

Well even out of the zone Enoch didn't look too good and didn't box out like he should. Sorry but while I hope he does well and he wasn't coached well here obviously, he still didn't play hard and knew that boxing out was important. He didn't do it because no one told him to? Not - he just didn't pay hard here. Shouldn't need the coach to be good at that sorry.

KO was awful nonetheless, good to have some UConn heart back in the system thanks Dan!

I really don’t see it as a situation much different than Cobb. You can’t go by the results of the last couple seasons - especially if someone has some tools to work with.
I know it’s hard to do - but just disregard it and take a fresh look.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Boxing out and rebounding are not the same thing. I honestly know not one basketball fan who thinks rebounding is unimportant.

Reaction Score
Boxing out and rebounding are not the same thing. I honestly know not one basketball fan who thinks rebounding is unimportant.

Boxing out leads to rebounding so it’s pretty much the same thing or impacts the desired result.

Reaction Score
Cobb was great but I want the coaches to show him how to put back a 2 footer without bouncing his defender into the first row. They called 2 of those yesterday.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Boxing out leads to rebounding so it’s pretty much the same thing or impacts the desired result.
The first and third parts of your statement are true. The second is not.

Go back to 2014. Napier led the team in rebounds, but I recall him rarely boxing out. While the front court put a bum on their man, he would scoop up the loose ball or he would catch it coming off the back of the rim.

Be that as it may, I have a feeling that Chief is too proud to admit he mis-typed.

Reaction Score
The first and third parts of your statement are true. The second is not.

Go back to 2014. Napier led the team in rebounds, but I recall him rarely boxing out. While the front court put a bum on their man, he would scoop up the loose ball or he would catch it coming off the back of the rim.

Be that as it may, I have a feeling that Chief is too proud to admit he mis-typed.

If I recall Bazz always/usually sealed off the shooter if he was defending.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Cobb was great but I want the coaches to show him how to put back a 2 footer without bouncing his defender into the first row. They called 2 of those yesterday.

100% agree but it was nice to be the muscle for once.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom