Rebecca Previews UConn vs ND | The Boneyard

Rebecca Previews UConn vs ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ESPN - Link

Have not compared teams stats. Rebecca states ND has shot 230 FT while UConn has only shot 138. If that trend continues in this game, ND will be able to keep the game close.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
ESPN - Link

Have not compared teams stats. Rebecca states ND has shot 230 FT while UConn has only shot 138. If that trend continues in this game, ND will be able to keep the game close.

"The contests have been close and there is always something at stake. And when you add the players' and coaches' distaste for one another, the game becomes even juicier."

Really?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
coaches' distaste for one another

Not in Rebecca's piece (above, technicolor)
Would you be kind enough to clarify Biff...
My previous take was that the two Philly expats respected, even liked one another.

Reaction Score
I didn't understand that statement when I read the article last night either. Have never heard anything that would lead me to believe that's the case. If I had to label it I would say that maybe it's gotten a little "chilly". The comment about 11' F4 & Bruiser wasn't well received because GA and MM had a private discussion about it several months prior to it being mentioned again by GA to the local UConn press. Then when it appeared that there were some discrepancies as to what was reported or said then it blew up a little but nothing major. The comments after UConn/Pitt game fell into the category of "why are you even talking about a game between ND and another team in the press" especially when it didn't appear to be all that accurate either. MM only public comment was that she thought Geno was having a difficult time with reversal of fortunes last year. That was after she was asked for her reaction to his recent comments. I always thought it was mainly fans of both teams that didn't appreciate the others actions or comments.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
coaches' distaste for one another

Not in Rebecca's piece (above, technicolor)
Would you be kind enough to clarify Biff...
My previous take was that the two Philly expats respected, even liked one another.

I don't understand your point. The sentence quoted by Biff is in the 1st paragraph of Rebecca's piece.

I would like to hear Rebecca explain what she wrote about the "coaches' distaste for one another." It's news to me.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
mea culpa...thanks Cat, I was looking at the bottom, missed the top.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I wonder... did Rebecca misread Geno's comments about the Catholic schools as a comment on McGraw? Did something happen since the Final Four?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
ESPN - Link

I did not realize the drive and flop offense lives on despite the departures of Novosel and Bruiser.

Reaction Score
I did not realize the drive and flop offense lives on despite the departures of Novosel and Bruiser.
I didn't realize it either. I guess it is now SOP for Muffet's teams. It has been very successful in the past by generating points and getting opposing players in foul trouble. I am concerned about BS and I bet ND goes right at her from the get go.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
"The contests have been close and there is always something at stake. And when you add the players' and coaches' distaste for one another, the game becomes even juicier."

Really?

I think that it was a mistake to highlight only the reference to the coaches because Geno and Muffet have a long history of mutual respect for one another. No personal animosity at all.

I believe that it would have been more accurate to highlight "players' and coaches' distaste for one another" since this is consistent with Rebecca's statement in her concluding paragraph to the effect that "These teams don't like each other." This places the focus on the intensity of the rivalry, not some perceived (and, in my view, mistaken) impression that the two coaches bear ill-will to one another on a personal basis.

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." - Mark Twain

Both teams -- including players, coaches, and fan base -- just want especially to win this game. And the one in March in South Bend. And absolutely any others that may be played in Hartford (Big East) or wherever (NCAA).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Really?
Agree. As far as I know, Geno & Muffet are really good friends and have been for over 30 years.

From this article from March of this year:

"I've known Geno for a long time," McGraw said. "I think we understand each other, where we're coming from. He likes to engage and try to get in people's heads, but I don't. I just really try to stay away from that. And we continue to have a pretty good relationship."

"I've had a great relationship with Muffet all this time, and that hasn't changed one bit," Auriemma said. "My relationship with the University of Notre Dame, that's a different story. I was a kid going to Catholic school all my life. And not being able to get into Notre Dame probably ticked me off and it just escalated from there.

"I don't think I've every consciously tried to get under Muffet's skin — I do that privately, where we have fun with it. If she wasn't at Notre Dame I probably wouldn't try as hard to get under her skin, but the fact that she's at Notre Dame makes it easy."

Reaction Score
Why do I get the sense that ESPN has suggested to Rebecca

A) Hype up the game because Stanford/UConn was a bust (yes I know the game is on CBS)

and

B) Take an anti-UConn (well at least not pro) stance to prove you are an "impartial" journalist.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I think that it was a mistake to highlight only the reference to the coaches because Geno and Muffet have a long history of mutual respect for one another. No personal animosity at all.

I believe that it would have been more accurate to highlight "players' and coaches' distaste for one another" since this is consistent with Rebecca's statement in her concluding paragraph to the effect that "These teams don't like each other." This places the focus on the intensity of the rivalry, not some perceived (and, in my view, mistaken) impression that the two coaches bear ill-will to one another on a personal basis.

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." - Mark Twain

Both teams -- including players, coaches, and fan base -- just want especially to win this game. And the one in March in South Bend. And absolutely any others that may be played in Hartford (Big East) or wherever (NCAA).

Well I disagree that was a "mistake" to highlight the text I did. The sentence structure and the specific words leaves one to interpret that the coaches have a distaste for one another. To me that is a remarkable revelation if true but as you state is so inconsistent with the public history between the two coaches that it is "questionable". Thus the highlight of the suspicious text and my question "Really?"

Why would it be a mistake to question a surprising and questionable (to me) statement in the article?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Well I disagree that was a "mistake" to highlight the text I did. The sentence structure and the specific words leaves one to interpret that the coaches have a distaste for one another. To me that is a remarkable revelation if true but as you state is so inconsistent with the public history between the two coaches that it is "questionable". Thus the highlight of the suspicious text and my question "Really?"

Why would it be a mistake to question a surprising and questionable (to me) statement in the article?

Touche'!

Your one word comment ("Really?") did the job much more effectively than my laborious monologue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom