Rebecca Lobo takes care of business | The Boneyard

Rebecca Lobo takes care of business

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Yes folks, after the awesome Quinnipiac win (sweet!) Rebecca Lobo set it straight in the studio and to people everywhere listening: it's QUINNipiac and she says everyone will have it straight now that they are sweet 16 bound.

Plus, she says she has our back out here in Connecticut ;)

THANKS REBECCA :):):)

CBear01

Reaction Score
Wait... how were people pronouncing it? Lol

They are putting the stress on the "pee" so they say quin-i-PEE-ac instead of us locals knowing the stress is on the first part of the word.

I still get a little ticked when I hear anyone outside of New Haven putting the emphasis on the "New" instead of the "Haven"...

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
When I was traveling in the mid south, especially TN, I noticed that everyone emphasized the first syllable for words that everyone in MO or IL, for example, emphasized that last syllable. The word "halloween" comes to mind. In TN it was pronounced HALloween and farther north it's pronounced halloWEEN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
During the UCONN Albany game the announcer seem to be saying New Albany every time.
Is that a real thing?
Is that short for NY State University @Albany?
Did I even hear him correctly?

Reaction Score
During the UCONN Albany game the announcer seem to be saying New Albany every time.
Is that a real thing?
Is that short for NY State University @Albany?
Did I even hear him correctly?
Actually they were saying "U Albany"... i.e., University of Albany... rather than just "Albany". I thought it was a bit odd as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually they were saying "U Albany"... i.e., University of Albany... rather than just "Albany". I thought it was a bit odd as well.
Yeah, it took me several times to understand that Eric was saying "U Albany" and not "New Albany."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ok that makes more sense, but still odd.

Reaction Score
Yes folks, after the awesome Quinnipiac win (sweet!) Rebecca Lobo set it straight in the studio and to people everywhere listening: it's QUINNipiac and she says everyone will have it straight now that they are sweet 16 bound.

Plus, she says she has our back out here in Connecticut ;)

THANKS REBECCA :):):)

I find it very hard to say that way. I can put the emphasis on any of the other three syllables with no problem, but that first one is a bear. It only comes out of my mouth correctly about 20% of the time. :)

Reaction Score
They are putting the stress on the "pee" so they say quin-i-PEE-ac instead of us locals knowing the stress is on the first part of the word.

I still get a little ticked when I hear anyone outside of New Haven putting the emphasis on the "New" instead of the "Haven"...

It's New HAVEN? Wow, I never knew that.

CBear01

Reaction Score
It's New HAVEN? Wow, I never knew that.

Stress always on the second word:

New YORK
New HAVEN
New JERSEY
New GUINEA

Etc, etc, etc (a la king and I)

Reaction Score
Stress always on the second word:

New YORK
New HAVEN
New JERSEY
New GUINEA

Etc, etc, etc (a la king and I)

Good point. Yet, even on nearby Long Island, where I grew up, I remember it being pronounced NEW Haven. I have a niece who grew up in the Atlanta area and works at Yale, I'll have to see how she pronounces it. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you recorded the Albany game, go back and look. Their jerseys say UALBANY on the front.
Albany..jpg

CBear01

Reaction Score
Good point. Yet, even on nearby Long Island, where I grew up, I remember it being pronounced NEW Haven. I have a niece who grew up in the Atlanta area and works at Yale, I'll have to see how she pronounces it. :)

I had a roommate from the island, thick accent, he lived with me in New Haven for a few years (he went to QUINNipiac lol) and even tho he lived there he always put the emphasis on NEW. I'd imagine your niece being from the south might still do the same thing.

I've also been told everywhere I go that I have an accent that sounds very much "New York" but it seems to be a local New Haven Italian accent. Us Italians all talk exactly alike. When I went to Storrs for school I was from CT just like 7 out of 10 students and people from my own state said I talk funny and I have a wierd accent for being from CT. It's an Italian thing

And could you believe it....St. Joe's day rolls around and there's not a single zeppole in Los Angeles to be found!

Reaction Score
I find it very hard to say that way. I can put the emphasis on any of the other three syllables with no problem, but that first one is a bear. It only comes out of my mouth correctly about 20% of the time. :)

Try saying it real fast- works better that way. :p

Reaction Score
I had a roommate from the island, thick accent, he lived with me in New Haven for a few years (he went to QUINNipiac lol) and even tho he lived there he always put the emphasis on NEW. I'd imagine your niece being from the south might still do the same thing.

I've also been told everywhere I go that I have an accent that sounds very much "New York" but it seems to be a local New Haven Italian accent. Us Italians all talk exactly alike. When I went to Storrs for school I was from CT just like 7 out of 10 students and people from my own state said I talk funny and I have a wierd accent for being from CT. It's an Italian thing

And could you believe it....St. Joe's day rolls around and there's not a single zeppole in Los Angeles to be found!

You guys start telling me it's Hart-FORD or Water-BURY and I'm going to need a drink.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom