Rebecca Drop Kicks The Bully Smear | The Boneyard

Rebecca Drop Kicks The Bully Smear

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can't keep up and doubtlessly this is a duplicate and will get merged or obliterated, but I'll get better now that I finished my taxes! Oy vey.

"Do I think (Auriemma) bullies anybody? No. I thought that was an incendiary word," Lobo said. "I played for him. Been around him and I've covered him for a long time. I would never in a million years use the word bully to describe how he deals with his players, other people's players, other coaches or the officials. Ever.

"And to the bigger argument of men coaching women, I can't think of a person who's had a bigger positive impact on women and girls than coach Auriemma. I'm not talking just about the women who have played for him. I'm talking about the fans that watch women's basketball that wouldn't have except for what he's done in Connecticut. I'm talking about the boys and the men who come to the UConn games and see all these extraordinary women doing what they're doing.

"I think that changes their perception of women and girls and their relationships with women because they watch what his women are doing on the court. This is where I can get defensive about it. I think he's done more for women than any male or female I have encountered in sports. He's done it the right way, treating them like human beings and challenging them to be the best versions of themselves. He never thinks not to challenge them because they're women. He challenges them because they're human beings — and maybe because they're women they're going to have to overcome things other people don't. He prepares them for that. And never in a bullying way. In a challenging way? Yes. Were there times when I went back to my room and cried? Yes. That was because I didn't know how to handle it yet not because he wasn't handing it the right way.

"If Muffet wants to only hire women, great. Give women opportunities? I'm all for that. Geno only hires women, too. He's giving them opportunities. But I do think we have to be careful of our language. I don't want people seeing people in women's basketball male bashing. We're not. Please, men: watch these women play. Sure, it can be hard. You get the idiots on social media with 'stay in the kitchen' and that nonsense. We're never going to get that guy (to watch). But let's welcome all the others who are enlightened enough to see the beauty in all this."

We've heard the good ... and bad ... from Muffet in same week

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you watched Rebecca’s moving tribute to Geno during her HOF induction speech, you know how much she loves Geno for all he’s done for her. You also have to know how much MM’s baseless attack on Geno must have deeply hurt Rebecca.

Rebecca did exactly what I would hope any person of character would do when someone they love and respect is the object of an untruthful and mean spirited attack.

Reaction Score
Wow am I glad Rebecca Lobo is in her position. I love this response and I’m glad she’s using her platform in a positive way. I hope more women break into the world of coaching men’s sports. Gender doesn’t make a coach good or bad; it’s all about how they connect with their players. Geno is masterful at that and that’s why all of his players constantly say he put them through the ringer, but they wouldn’t have had it any other way. All of Geno’s former players have high praises for him and his staff in general.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Did anyone ever post the actual article where MM supposedly called Geno a “bully”? I know the press conference question mentioned it but I couldn’t find the article. I want to see the context that MM used as it seems very bizarre to me. I am not saying she didn’t say it, I just want to read it for myself before I comment.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Here's the original story that contained the bully remark (from about a week ago, prior to all the final four press conference comments) and the context leading up to it:

"No matter the puzzle the NCAA women's basketball selection committee spits out, you can typically count on one thing in the NCAA tournament: Notre Dame facing Connecticut. It has happened in six of the past eight tournaments, twice for the championship.

The rivalry is one based on respect and fierce competitiveness. McGraw and Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma have known each other for more than 40 years. But given McGraw's competitiveness, directness and fight for female coaches, it's no surprise that she and the button-pushing Auriemma have traded barbs over the years.

"I just think he likes to have somebody to bully," McGraw says. "It was Pat for a while. I don't back down from him. And he is always right. That's what he does. He's part of the old boys' network that is pretty strong. They get away with more from the officials, they can say things to the players that they would never take from a female coach. That's just the way it is."

Before the 2014 national championship game, which both teams entered undefeated, Auriemma explained the tension in his relationship with McGraw is a byproduct of the women's game: "We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains in, try to win a national championship and compete like hell, Muffet and Geno. And then we're supposed to get together afterwards and go have a bottle of wine?" he said. "That s--- is just not going to happen."

I also think her comment got twisted to be one about Geno bullying players. I think what Muffet meant was that he likes to have another team to bully. As in, another team to kind of put down and out-compete. In that sense, I'm not even sure I think that's an entirely negative comment. Per Geno's own remarks, if ND is coming for him and his 11 championships, of course he's not going to take it warmly.

Great, eloquent comments from Lobo. I love this:

"If Muffet wants to only hire women, great. Give women opportunities? I'm all for that. Geno only hires women, too. He's giving them opportunities. But I do think we have to be careful of our language. I don't want people seeing people in women's basketball male bashing. We're not. Please, men: watch these women play. Sure, it can be hard. You get the idiots on social media with 'stay in the kitchen' and that nonsense. We're never going to get that guy (to watch). But let's welcome all the others who are enlightened enough to see the beauty in all this."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Note that Rebecca defended Geno w/out saying anything negative about Muffet. The easy thing to do would be to say something unpleasant about the ND coach, and there's plenty to say. Too bad she had to use Geno as emblematic of her issues with men. Underneath I have always suspected that Muffet was envious of Geno's success: why else to take opportunities to strike out at him. He's the best thing wcbb has experienced. Why not acknowledge that? I think it's safe to say that Muffet isn't a fun person.

Reaction Score

Here's the original story that contained the bully remark (from about a week ago, prior to all the final four press conference comments) and the context leading up to it:
And a bitter Muffet is usually on the losing end. If not for UConn MM could have 8 NC's by now. Tell me she does not have a enormous chip on her shoulders.

Reaction Score
I

"Do I think (Auriemma) bullies anybody? No. I thought that was an incendiary word," Lobo said. "I played for him. Been around him and I've covered him for a long time. I would never in a million years use the word bully to describe how he deals with his players, other people's players, other coaches or the officials. Ever.

ROCK: On target as always from you. Re your thread title,, "Rebecca drop kicks the bully smear," I'd also say Lobo "drop -kicked" McGraw right off her wobbly tuffet with her nifty reply.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And a bitter Muffet is usually on the losing end. If not for UConn MM could have 8 NC's by now. Tell me she does not have a enormous chip on her shoulders.
If not for two senior UConn AA missing when ND won its first, chances are UConn wins and who knows if any recruits think ND is anything special. McGraw really is an envious person toward UConn.

Rebecca didn’t mention that Geno is open to just about any coach visiting UConn practices and sharing ideas. I don’t think he’s jealous of others winning. I think he likes a broader group of good programs.

Reaction Score
Did anyone ever post the actual article where MM supposedly called Geno a “bully”? I know the press conference question mentioned it but I couldn’t find the article. I want to see the context that MM used as it seems very bizarre to me. I am not saying she didn’t say it, I just want to read it for myself before I comment.
Yes it was posted. Here is a link to the story: Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw's stress test
The part about Geno being a bully is towards the end.

Reaction Score
This is b
I can't keep up and doubtlessly this is a duplicate and will get merged or obliterated, but I'll get better now that I finished my taxes! Oy vey.

"And to the bigger argument of men coaching women, I can't think of a person who's had a bigger positive impact on women and girls than coach Auriemma. I'm not talking just about the women who have played for him. I'm talking about the fans that watch women's basketball that wouldn't have except for what he's done in Connecticut. I'm talking about the boys and the men who come to the UConn games and see all these extraordinary women doing what they're doing.

"I think that changes their perception of women and girls and their relationships with women because they watch what his women are doing on the court. This is where I can get defensive about it. I think he's done more for women than any male or female I have encountered in sports. He's done it the right way, treating them like human beings and challenging them to be the best versions of themselves. He never thinks not to challenge them because they're women. He challenges them because they're human beings — and maybe because they're women they're going to have to overcome things other people don't. He prepares them for that. And never in a bullying way. In a challenging way? Yes. Were there times when I went back to my room and cried? Yes. That was because I didn't know how to handle it yet not because he wasn't handing it the right way.

We've heard the good ... and bad ... from Muffet in same week
This is brilliant. Rebecca is well respected and this should be heard as much, or more, than Muffet’s tirade. I will say, aside from her views on men in the coaching world, Muffet’s speech about the ERA and women in general in society was spot on. Hate me if you must for agreeing with aspects of her presser, but as a woman, I’ve experienced a lot of it first hand.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For all our edification here’s the 2 paragraph quote.
The rivalry is one based on respect and fierce competitiveness. McGraw and Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma have known each other for more than 40 years. But given McGraw's competitiveness, directness and fight for female coaches, it's no surprise that she and the button-pushing Auriemma have traded barbs over the years.

"I just think he likes to have somebody to bully," McGraw says. "It was Pat for a while. I don't back down from him. And he is always right. That's what he does. He's part of the old boys' network that is pretty strong. They get away with more from the officials, they can say things to the players that they would never take from a female coach. That's just the way it is."

The word “bully” should be replaced with either “argue”, “debate” or in today’s vernacular “troll”

The bigger is to me is her insinuation of the Old Boys Network in reference to Geno is patently wrong considering all he’s done for WCBB, for USA BB and for UConn, all as Rebecca noted.

Just another drop in the swimming pool of reasons I don’t like MM. Yuk, just yuk!

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Notre Dame coach Muffet McGraw's stress test

Muffet wants to be a female Gandhi for the women's game. She cannot stand that when Geno (a man) talks, people listen.

Reaction Score
The bigger is to me is her insinuation of the Old Boys Network in reference to Geno is patently wrong considering all he’s done for WCBB, for USA BB and for UConn, all as Rebecca noted.
Which is why during the press conference yesterday you could tell he was genuinely insulted by Muffet's accusation. Geno and UConn have bent over backwards trying to help grow the game, and help improve the conferences they have been in, sometimes to the detriment of themselves as Geno mentioned.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

"No matter the puzzle the NCAA women's basketball selection committee spits out, you can typically count on one thing in the NCAA tournament: Notre Dame facing Connecticut. It has happened in six of the past eight tournaments, twice for the championship.

Before the 2014 national championship game, which both teams entered undefeated, Auriemma explained the tension in his relationship with McGraw is a byproduct of the women's game: "We're supposed to play each other, try to beat each other's brains in, try to win a national championship and compete like hell, Muffet and Geno. And then we're supposed to get together afterwards and go have a bottle of wine?" he said. "That s--- is just not going to happen."

I also think her comment got twisted to be one about Geno bullying players. I think what Muffet meant was that he likes to have another team to bully. As in, another team to kind of put down and out-compete. In that sense, I'm not even sure I think that's an entirely negative comment. Per Geno's own remarks, if ND is coming for him and his 11 championships, of course he's not going to take it warmly.

Is it me or does MM only go after Geno in the post season? I remember her 2014 rant about Geno. She was dead serious. It made great fodder for the media (which they eagerly slurped up). Does she also attack other coaches, or just Geno? What’s really going on here?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is b

This is brilliant. Rebecca is well respected and this should be heard as much, or more, than Muffet’s tirade. I will say, aside from her views on men in the coaching world, Muffet’s speech about the ERA and women in general in society was spot on. Hate me if you must for agreeing with aspects of her presser, but as a woman, I’ve experienced a lot of it first hand.

I want to get back to basketball and send waves of positive fan energy washing over our players. The reasons why the ERA "has lanquished" are complex and subject to debate. See:https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Americas-Equal-Rights-Amendment-not-ratified A big reason is Title VII and other federal and state legislation barring discrimination on the basis of sex. Her impassioned plea for discrimination against men until women have 50% of everything in the job market is recklessly discriminatory and unlawful; I'm surprised how many in the public eye have given her kudos for espousing such a discriminatory agenda, however laudatory the end result might seem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want to get back to basketball and send waves of positive fan energy washing over out players. The reasons why the ERA "has lanquished" are complex and subject to debate. See:https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Americas-Equal-Rights-Amendment-not-ratified A big reason is Title VII and other federal and state legislation barring discrimination on the basis of sex. Her impassioned plea for discrimination against men until women have 50% of everything in the job market is recklessly discriminatory and unlawful; I'm surprised how many in the public eye have given her kudos for espousing such a discriminatory agenda, however laudatory the end result might seem.
I'm not trying to start anything..just simply commenting on the words and what was shown in the press. I would MUCH rather talk basketball and the games that will be played tonight. However, this was posted and I commented on it.

Reaction Score
Is it me or does MM only go after Geno in the post season? I remember her 2014 rant about Geno. She was dead serious. It made great fodder for the media (which they eagerly slurped up). Does she also attack other coaches, or just Geno? What’s really going on here?
I remember her making a big deal about Durr getting ACC POY last year and refusing to acknowledge her. She just has a bad all around attitude. I love how Geno talks up and praises other teams, coaches, and players every chance he gets. He would never intentionally refer to a great player as #23 or "that other player." I like how during the hand shake line, he often stops it to have a moment with the opponent's seniors to congratulate them on a fine career. Geno also has his team on the court during an opponent's senior day instead of snubbing them by hiding out in the locker room until tip off. Geno gets respect from everyone (except Irish and Vol nation) because he gives it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not trying to start anything..just simply commenting on the words and what was shown in the press. I would MUCH rather talk basketball and the games that will be played tonight. However, this was posted and I commented on it.

I wasn't trying to be critical of you, but the topic on the eve of the final 4. I respect your comment, but do believe Muffet's claimed agenda is misquided and ultimately counterproductive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom