Reason for non-call on final play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reason for non-call on final play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One last point.
Even if the foul was called, that would not have been a guarantee for a Baylor win.
Carrington would have to make BOTH free throws and then UConn would still have gotten the ball back with a few seconds left.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My feeling is that the referees were (subconsciously) affected by

1) Carrington let the clock run down to much while doing very little so her last move was a bit frantic with open team mates waiting
2) Both Liv and Aaliyah read it well and were in good position as a pair
3) Both reacted the same way making it look like good team defense

The only problem (a big one I admit ) is that they both broke verticality but it did not seem blatant in real time.

My guess is that Geno will EMPHASIZE not breaking verticality. They are 6' 3" and 6' 5"

Reaction Score
Real time the play doesn't look as bad as it does in slow motion. No other person reacted to a non call. That includes Baylor coaches and Bench. The announcer didn't mention until they went to the monitor. Only person to react was Carrington.

Reaction Score
It's perfectly OK to dissect the last play of the game while leaving everything else in the game unlooked at? UCONN being better at women's basketball for decades now routinely gets screwed by the refs. For the most part Geno stands there unbelieving. That Baylor coach should rewatch all of the game's fouls before she runs her mouth. No class.

Reaction Score
Carrington was clearly feeling herself and trying to draw fouls and made the last minutes about her not the team. She actually got bailed out on the shot prior to the last one because I thought AE made a better play on that than she did on the final play. On that play Carrington ignored Smith and drove at two defenders and you can clearly see Smith pounding the floor in frustration of not getting the ball. The refs are human and this might have been a case of well you (Carrington) tried this last time and we gave you the call we not going to bail you out again.
She even kicked her right leg out to make it look worse and also ensure she fell when landing (which often gets the foul call).

Reaction Score
Hey, there’s always good old-fashioned swallowing the whistle down the stretch too. I remember playing for a playground championship that was play to 50. At about 40, it turned into tackle basketball, but the toughest survived. Refs swallow their whistle in many sports down the stretch. It was pretty chippy the whole game, especially near the end. Who can survive despite those constraints? Toughness is what usually perseveres, unless you can skate or dribble around like Gretzky.
Didn't know Wayne Gretzky was a great dribbler with the puck. Would have loved to have seen that.

Reaction Score
Neither player needed to lean in and foul, just needed to stand straight up and force a bad shot. But, both leaned in and fouled the shooter.

No foul was called, so UConn caught a break, which is nice to get lucky for a change at the end of a huge game. Hasn’t happened much in the last 6 years.

Good for UConn.

Reaction Score
Oh good, another thread on the foul ?
ESPN could have highlighted this game as a promotion for women's basketball at its best. And how two highly talented, competitive teams can match the drama of any men's game. If they wanted "after the fact" controversy, they could have questioned why these teams weren't meeting in the final four. Instead, they obsess over a controversial call with a bunch of their usual "experts" chiming in about the incompetence of the refs. Despite all of their preaching & lecturing, ESPN is not not a great promoter of women's sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How do you know the 3rd ref had a clear view? For all you know, the 3rd ref could’ve been looking at something else.
1617150180045.png
1617150296987.png

How you doing?

Reaction Score
Speaking of palming- Evina's call was probably due to a bump, which was hidden by the camera angle, The announcer claimed she palmed because she was "anticipating' a hit by the Baylor player-sure!

Reaction Score
“After further review....”
Baylor coach decided their best path to winning was to physically intimidate the young UConn Squad.
Didn’t work.
Very resilient, tight young team.
Not intimidated.
While they did waiver slightly in 3rd quarter of previous game- they learned.
They grew.
Not this time.
Baylor coach failed to call timely time out on 19-0 run.
Coaching blunder.
Injury?
UConn minus one starter.
No excuses.
UConn wins a hell of a game.
Stymie-out.

Reaction Score
I don't believe, by the TV view,
that there was any UConn foul made on Carrington, which was called, when she drove baseline at 33 seconds-- looks like she just fell down between the two Huskies..after shooting ....
That call on a drive, above, may have actually been at 0:49 seconds, not 0:33;
And the call at the very end, you see very little, or almost no protest from the shooter herself-- no animated or aggresive response at all, which would be expected if the contact was that bad-- just sitting on the floor.........
And she's good at falling- (like also at, I think, 49 seconds..)

Reaction Score
Missed calls are part of the game.
What about the time Paige got clobbered by two defenders on an attempted layup?
The critics pulling their hair out would say lost points early in the game don't mean as much to the final score as lost points late in the game. It's either a kind of new math or sour grapes.

Reaction Score
A game that is well reffed that is a foul 100% the way Baylor was mugging Paige all game and flopping like Lebron James it was a great no call .. I’m just glad UConn doesn’t play that style of ball I mean football ..

Reaction Score
Actually, having now seen the play from a completely different angle I would have to agree you are correct. But here's where Karma stepped in. The non-calls for fouls against UCOINN players, Paige being tackled and nothing called for one, were far more egregious than the one committed against the Baylor player at the end of the game, which would been a ticky-tack call in comparison. This non-call was consistent with the way the game had been called all along, however shoddy. No apologies for the victory then, as the Universe stepped in to make things right. Social media is quieting down now. In today's world you can only hold the public's attention for so long.

Reaction Score
The No call was consistent with the entire game. I am sorry Baylor you can't move the bar the entire game with aggressive ( actually excessive) physicality and then expect the call at crucial time. From my view she actually initiated the contact as part of her drive . Not denying Uconn then had some contact but given flow of entire game, deciding moment that is and should have been a play on .

Reaction Score
It was a foul, but still photos make it look worse. She faded away and Edwards made clean contact on the ball first. As she kept her hand on the ball, a little bit of contact was made on the follow through, but that never gets called after you get ball. ONO hit her on the elbow, though, which should be a foul - my homer glasses might say that once AE made contact with the ball, the elbow contact becomes more inconsequential since the shot has already been snuffed out, but I’m wise enough to know that if that was Paige’s elbow, I’d be saying it’s a clear foul.

Although I will say this - Chong was clearly undercut with 10 seconds left by William trying to draw a charge (and failing), and they swallowed the whistles. It was definitely a foul. I’ve never complained, though, largely since it was a bad decision to drive that early, but also because you can’t hope for a call there after getting the intentional when you know the refs aren’t going to be doing you any favors. Carrington got calls on 3 straight possessions (a rebound foul where she flopped like a fish, and then 4-4 at the line when fouled on jump shots). But didn’t get a fourth.

The thing with the Baylor controversy is that CW was clearly raked across the wrist out in the open on a fast break with a minute to go and no call. Pointing out missed calls on first half fouls or fouls with 5 minutes left aren’t the same, but in the last minute, they have similar late-game importance. Give us that one and if she makes a FT (she missed 2 later on — but that one would have had less pressure), we go up 6 and Baylor probably shoots a 3 next possession, or goes for two to cut it to four and then fouls instead of playing straight up D, and the whole last minute is different.

Reaction Score
It's always tough when you put your fate in the officials. The NCAA tournament upset that gave me so much joy was Louisville beating Baylor back when Stewart was a freshman. The bears stormed back, but the officials called a foul on a Reid layup attempt with a few seconds left, allowing Louisville to go from down 1 to up 1. This was a similar scenario. If they call the foul, does Carrington hit two FTs to win the game? Nobody will ever know. I just wish the refs were more consistent. They should have called a lot more during the game, and they probably should have called this a foul. Sometimes they swallow the whistle at the end, other times they call game deciding fouls. It's just a part of the game I guess.

Reaction Score
The elephant-in-the-room reason is: it wasn't obviously a foul! Not in real time anyway, in slow motion and after seeing replays, it still isn't obvious. If there was contact, it took place after the ball had been blocked by Edwards. The refs let much worse go without calling a foul throughout the game especially for Baylor. On this play, there were two UConn defenders standing their ground against a solo Baylor player hoping for a miracle or to get bailed out by a call. Most people saying it was a foul are reaching that conclusion from still photos & not from watching the actual play when it happened. In real time, it certainly wasn't obviously a foul, and I'm glad it wasn't called. UConn played better and should have won by a larger margin, but Baylor got away with tons of contact that wasn't called. You want to say that Baylor is aggressive? Then how come Baylor can be aggressive but UConn can't be? C'mon, accept defeat gracefully, and give UConn some credit for playing well against a tough opponent.
Why was this play drawn up by Baylor? Even with a shot clock winding down, a second cleaner option should have been available. Why did the Baylor player drive into our best defensive bigs???? Perhaps not the wisest call by the bench but crazy thing happen in the last minute.

Reaction Score
WOW! Unlike the UCONN supporters to spend so much time justifying why it wasn't a foul.

Reaction Score
My feeling is that the referees were (subconsciously) affected by

1) Carrington let the clock run down to much while doing very little so her last move was a bit frantic with open team mates waiting
2) Both Liv and Aaliyah read it well and were in good position as a pair
3) Both reacted the same way making it look like good team defense

The only problem (a big one I admit ) is that they both broke verticality but it did not seem blatant in real time.

My guess is that Geno will EMPHASIZE not breaking verticality. They are 6' 3" and 6' 5"
Verticality, Shmerticality - Carrington drove at full speed into AE/ONO. Carrington had been called at least twice, of a charge, at 9:04 & 7:24 in the 19 point run, that I saw, & was consistently guilty of rough play throughout. Baylor is a roughhouse team, who lives by the sword, & died by the sword.

Reaction Score
It's always tough when you put your fate in the officials. The NCAA tournament upset that gave me so much joy was Louisville beating Baylor back when Stewart was a freshman. The bears stormed back, but the officials called a foul on a Reid layup attempt with a few seconds left, allowing Louisville to go from down 1 to up 1. This was a similar scenario. If they call the foul, does Carrington hit two FTs to win the game? Nobody will ever know. I just wish the refs were more consistent. They should have called a lot more during the game, and they probably should have called this a foul. Sometimes they swallow the whistle at the end, other times they call game deciding fouls. It's just a part of the game I guess.
But in that game- by the way, the most exciting women’s game I’ve ever seen- the Louisville player, Monique Reid?, was clobbered with no doubt whatsoever, it didn’t depend on countless reviews or still photos & she didn’t initiate contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom