Really great comment on men's and women's success since 1999... | The Boneyard

Really great comment on men's and women's success since 1999...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In the press conference after UCONN women's victory over Tex AM, Geno was asked to reflect on the fact that since 1999, the men and women combined have been to 17 final 4's. This is what he had to say...

"You know, I'm always amazed when people bring up those kinds of numbers, maybe because we are constantly looking ahead that we don't have a chance to look back. Someone told me the other day that we've won 35 games 10 times, and that the rest of the country has done it 12 times - combined. So when people tell me that, I go 'wow, really'? That's really good for a long time. And now when you tell me that... and not like in the history of the program - you're telling me since 1999? Those are just staggering numbers.

You mentioned Duke. Mention how many iconic basketball schools out there that haven't been able to do that - that have all the things that people think you need to have to be great. You know, you need to have the right conference. You need to have the right football program. You need to have the right facilities.

All these things that people say are important, and what we've had at Connecticut - we had a hell of a men's coach who did a hell of a job with a group of guys through the years - s0me pros, and some not, and then you have a young coach - where the jury was out on how do you replace a legendary coach with just any guy that has never coached... what's happened and what he's doing is just nothing short of remarkable.

I think probably the only people who don't celebrate it enough are the people in Connecticut. Us, you know? We at times take this stuff for granted - that yeah we are UCONN and we are supposed to be there. And I like that - don't get me wrong, but I think that every once in a while we should look back, and go back and appreciate that what we've done is absolutely remarkable. When you think about what we have to work with and what we have compared to other people, it's just remarkable."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That was great!

I heard this morning that this is the fourth time (which I knew) that we've made it to both men's and women's final four in the same year. No other school has done this more than once (I believe Louisville, Duke & Maryland are the only other schools to do this. UNC may have as well but I am not sure about that one).

Reaction Score
Wow. Geno sounded normal for once. I always have found it a bit awkward they way he speaks. This time it was wonderful

Reaction Score
You are so freaking annoying.

Oh man, I'm so hurt!

Geno is indeed an awkward speaker. I'm not the first or the last one that mentions it. Nonetheless, it was a great comment.

U

UCONNfan1

Good stuff and I'm glad we got both of them. Not sure about the Geno being awkward thing - the guy is funny and blunt and honest. Sometimes I wish he'd dial back the sarcasm, but that's who he is. Anyone who really thinks he's an awkward speaker probably needs to take some high school English comprehension courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
That was great!

I heard this morning that this is the fourth time (which I knew) that we've made it to both men's and women's final four in the same year. No other school has done this more than once (I believe Louisville, Duke & Maryland are the only other schools to do this. UNC may have as well but I am not sure about that one).

And the only school in Division I to have the men's and women's teams cut down the nets in the same year (2004). And a chance to do it again this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Oh man, I'm so hurt!

Geno is indeed an awkward speaker. I'm not the first or the last one that mentions it. Nonetheless, it was a great comment.

He's generally known as phenomal public speaker. Smooth as can be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"we had a hell of a men's coach who did a hell of a job with a group of guys through the years - s0me pros, and some not, and then you have a young coach - where the jury was out on how do you replace a legendary coach with just any guy that has never coached... what's happened and what he's doing is just nothing short of remarkable."

Its not as remarkable as Squid leading a bunch of freshmen to the final four according to BSPN.:confused:

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
"we had a hell of a men's coach who did a hell of a job with a group of guys through the years - s0me pros, and some not, and then you have a young coach - where the jury was out on how do you replace a legendary coach with just any guy that has never coached... what's happened and what he's doing is just nothing short of remarkable."

Its not as remarkable as Squid leading a bunch of freshmen to the final four according to BSPN.:confused:
Nobody could have seen the preseason number one team in the country making the final four at the end of the year! Nobody!

Reaction Score
Oh man, I'm so hurt!

Just curious -- who else has called him an "awkward speaker"? Muffet McGraw? Cappie Pondexter?

You're making it sound as if this is a universal truth. I've never heard it before and I'm not buying it.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
That was great!

Georgia did it first in 1983, Louisville did it last year, and Dook, OK, TX, MSU, and LSU have also done it, but only UConn has done it more than once.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04...nn-men-women-both-in-final-four-for-4th-time/

Reaction Score
In the press conference after UCONN women's victory over Tex AM, Geno was asked to reflect on the fact that since 1999, the men and women combined have been to 17 final 4's. This is what he had to say...

"You know, I'm always amazed when people bring up those kinds of numbers, maybe because we are constantly looking ahead that we don't have a chance to look back. Someone told me the other day that we've won 35 games 10 times, and that the rest of the country has done it 12 times - combined. So when people tell me that, I go 'wow, really'? That's really good for a long time. And now when you tell me that... and not like in the history of the program - you're telling me since 1999? Those are just staggering numbers.

You mentioned Duke. Mention how many iconic basketball schools out there that haven't been able to do that - that have all the things that people think you need to have to be great. You know, you need to have the right conference. You need to have the right football program. You need to have the right facilities.

All these things that people say are important, and what we've had at Connecticut - we had a hell of a men's coach who did a hell of a job with a group of guys through the years - s0me pros, and some not, and then you have a young coach - where the jury was out on how do you replace a legendary coach with just any guy that has never coached... what's happened and what he's doing is just nothing short of remarkable.

I think probably the only people who don't celebrate it enough are the people in Connecticut. Us, you know? We at times take this stuff for granted - that yeah we are UCONN and we are supposed to be there. And I like that - don't get me wrong, but I think that every once in a while we should look back, and go back and appreciate that what we've done is absolutely remarkable. When you think about what we have to work with and what we have compared to other people, it's just remarkable."
great catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog