Reality Check | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Reality Check

Reaction Score
Megan Walker had a bad game last night but can we please stop with this crap about her Not being a #1 recruit or not a starter. Name a player from the class of 2017 that is playing better basketball?

Wait Walker many bad games last year which we gave her a pass as a freshman. Walker this year has certainly has improved from bad games to ok games... I don't see a number one impact player so far, heck I don't even see flashes of that. She starts cause were so thin and there are no better options.

Reaction Score
I blame Justine. Seems everytime we lose, she's not around on the sideline reporting. Hmmmm?

I was thinking the same thing. I hate to say it BUT i felt that the commentating was less obnoxious than usual.. I actually found them with some insightful things to say about the actual game. Now I fully understand UCONN was losing most of the game and kinda getting killed the last 5 minutes so they were slap happy and into things....

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Megan Walker just because her shots weren’t falling in just like everyone else’s she’s become the target of ridicule from the fans. I’m pretty sure she didn’t like the way she played and here we are, “...players who are better than Megan Walker” bit

When are we going to stop eating our youngs?

Just FYI guys, recruit and their family reads the boneyard. As of right now, it’s become a scary place to be because the sky seems to be falling.

We can make this place a fairy tale land full of cadbury eggs and rainbows or we can talk about this team, the good and the bad. Its a team board for gosh sake! If we can wax poetic about Lou and phese etc we have to point out the players that aren't performing or the current or future state of the team for better or worse. If we criticize a player its not personal. I bet MW is a wonderful human being and representative of the student body. That being said if she can't hit a jump shot that has to be discussed too....

Reaction Score
I've reached the same conclusion. Next year's team will be nothing more than above average. Until they recruit a much, much better crop of young'uns, we are in for some dry seasons. However flawed the current team is, folks, enjoy it while we have them, because it's not gonna get better for at least a year and maybe two years or more.

Tom Cat- Those that are in reality like us can clearly see whats going on. Of course we will still go to the games and root for the girls but next year is going to be very very tough unless theres some miracle off shore recruits coming in here. The biggest question is can a 65 year old Great Coach rebuild the empire in the current WCBB landscape? Stay tuned...

Reaction Score
Tom Cat- Those that are in reality like us can clearly see whats going on. Of course we will still go to the games and root for the girls but next year is going to be very very tough unless theres some miracle off shore recruits coming in here. The biggest question is can a 65 year old Great Coach rebuild the empire in the current WCBB landscape? Stay tuned...
The empire is in decline, but from The Big Three that's really the only direction you could go. When you reach the summit of a mountain, the only way to go is down. But, remember how old Coach Calhoun was when he was able to put together one last team that Coach Ollie used to win a title? Geno can do that too before riding off into the sunset with an even dozen championships under his belt. The dynasty phase of the program is probably over, but everyone should have recognized that when Stewie left town.

Reaction Score
When are we going to stop eating our young?

Just FYI guys, recruit and their family reads the boneyard. As of right now, it’s become a scary place to be because the sky seems to be falling.
When they start playing like the champions they're supposed to be. How about we get some recruits who can read this stuff and laugh it off because they have the confidence that they'll get it done.

BTW I wish the criteria for WOH was a 5-person AA team, not the wussy 10-player WBCA team. WOH is overpopulated with players who weren't 'real' first-team AA's and didn't lead their teams to NCs.

That said, I think KLS and Pheesa have what it takes to get it done - but they may have to get a little more demanding on what they expect out of the rest of the team. If they win the NC this year I will celebrate their WOH induction at least as hard as everyone else.

Reaction Score
I've reached the same conclusion. Next year's team will be nothing more than above average. Until they recruit a much, much better crop of young'uns, we are in for some dry seasons. However flawed the current team is, folks, enjoy it while we have them, because it's not gonna get better for at least a year and maybe two years or more.

next year's team will be anywhere from good to really good depending on the growth of ONO, CW and MW and an injury free season....................if UConn can somehow get Bueckers, and a couple of other top talents from the 2020 recruiting class any talk of doom and gloom will very quickly be a thing of the past................if UConn swings and misses on the 2020 class as they almost did with 2019 (thank you AG!!).................well enough said..............

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm late to this, but to me Onyenwere and Sabally are both EASILY having better seasons than Walker thus far. It's not even close. Not sure about the other Pac 12 players. Williams from Stanford has been a bit disappointing to me. Dodson is still more about potential than what she's actually done. I really like the way Goodman is playing for OSU, but she's more of a role player. Corosdale is a bit disappointing to me as well. Her offense is almost entirely limited to spot up 3's. I'd like to see her do a lot more on the interior. She's only averaging 6.3 ppg. I'm a homer too, but there's no way you can make the case she's having a better season.

Reaction Score
BTW I wish the criteria for WOH was a 5-person AA team, not the wussy 10-player WBCA team. WOH is overpopulated with players who weren't 'real' first-team AA's and didn't lead their teams to NCs.

What are you drinking? Wall of Honor is "overpopulated?" As far as I know, it has the most demanding criteria of any such wall. Kia Nurse, a four year starter, two time national champion, and defensive player of the year doesn't even qualify. I won't ask who you think should be removed, as I don't want to go down that rabbit hole, but out of all the silly and uninformed posts over the past two days, this one has got to take the prize.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The empire is in decline, but from The Big Three that's really the only direction you could go. When you reach the summit of a mountain, the only way to go is down. But, remember how old Coach Calhoun was when he was able to put together one last team that Coach Ollie used to win a title? Geno can do that too before riding off into the sunset with an even dozen championships under his belt. The dynasty phase of the program is probably over, but everyone should have recognized that when Stewie left town.
They lost ONE GAME. Jeepers crow

Reaction Score
Justine, great post and commentery .... I agree with you 100%.... I love the team, Geno, coaches, university, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be critical ( realistic) when warranted....MW has to play like a #1 pick for the next 2 1/2 years ... so far, though, she’s a disappointment. Next year’s senior class will have only 1starter and a bunch of bench players; the incoming freshman class only has one recruit... no height... ONO hopefully develops fast... she still will need help... maybe Geno can get some transfers with height. Regardless, I will continue to follow this team... Go lady Huskies!!!!-

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I feel bad for Megan Walker just because her shots weren’t falling in just like everyone else’s she’s become the target of ridicule from the fans. I’m pretty sure she didn’t like the way she played and here we are, “...players who are better than Megan Walker” bit

When are we going to stop eating our youngs?

Hang in there, Lucky. The silent majority is fully on your side.

Reaction Score
1) What are you drinking?

2) Wall of Honor is "overpopulated?" As far as I know, it has the most demanding criteria of any such wall. Kia Nurse, a four year starter, two time national champion, and defensive player of the year doesn't even qualify. I won't ask who you think should be removed, as I don't want to go down that rabbit hole, but out of all the silly and uninformed posts over the past two days, this one has got to take the prize.
1) Lagunitas Super Cluster Ale (but just one)

2) Someone posted a while back that what Kia and Gabby accomplished as seniors was to preside over two FF chokes. I thought that was a little harsh. But true. I really really hope that Lou and Pheesa don't end up on THAT wall with them. I honestly think they have what it takes, but soon it will be time to put up or shut up. Let's see if they are really wall-worthy.

Reaction Score
One stat that stood out to me was that Christyn only attempted 6 shots. She played so much differently than in the ND game. Alas, freshman inconsistency has reared its ugly head.
She only took 6 shots because Baylor played tough D on her. She hit those two three's late because someone forgot about her and she had open looks. ND guards play weak D. KLS was faced with the same problem Didi Richards played in her back pocket. KLS worked hard to get free but to no avail. Richards was faster. KLS did her scoring when they put Cox on her in the second quarter. Williams can be stopped by a good hard nosed defender. She thrives on open looks and screens.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1) Lagunitas Super Cluster Ale (but just one)

2) Someone posted a while back that what Kia and Gabby accomplished as seniors was to preside over two FF chokes. I thought that was a little harsh. But true. I really really hope that Lou and Pheesa don't end up on THAT wall with them. I honestly think they have what it takes, but soon it will be time to put up or shut up. Let's see if they are really wall-worthy.
Geez, Maya “presided” over a loss to ND in the Final Four of her senior year. Maybe her name should come down.

Reaction Score

Absolutely he can.

Reaction Score
Your Kidding right? A ridiculous comment. I am a UCONN graduate, donate to the school, support the girls team with my attendance at some home games and watch every game thats televised. I was past friends with former Uconn players and competed against former uconn players in the field house. You don't need to check my uconn credentials. If you disagree with my post just let me know whats so off base.

No attack here for sure, I still feel for your loss of Justine. Your gushing was always palpable and sincere.
As to your question here can you really be serious??? Head bang
Our recruiting has become flawed, maybe lazy!
Next year we are a top 25 team and can GENO handle it? More importantly at his age does he have the gusto to turn this around? IDK.

My guess is some would find it off base to second guess the coaching and recruiting that has brought the UConn women's basketball program to heights never dreamed of for a couple of decades. I am sure your cred from the old field house has you proud as it should. Can you say at that time you ever thought you would see the day you had to pay to see a women's game???
Just sad they can't have a couple of actual loosing seasons before the so called diehards jump of the band wagon. Some only need to see the first loss in 126 regular season games....:confused: .... :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geez, Maya “presided” over a loss to ND in the Final Four of her senior year. Maybe her name should come down.
I don't have season tickets, as I live 2500 miles from CT now (I do travel to see UConn away games when I can). But it seems like rescinding season tickets would just create more empty seats. ?? For much of the time I lived in CT (ending in 2004, before Stubhub) I couldn't get tickets to many home games because they were sold out.

All I'm saying is to me "First Team AA" should mean "First Team", as in 5 players. Not a fan of participation trophies after age 6. JMO

Reaction Score
They lost ONE GAME. Jeepers crow
This has been my opinion for years now. Absolutely nothing to do with the loss to Baylor. I pointed out many times in 2016 that people really needed to take in the greatness of that season because that was it. The pinnacle of UConn WCBB. My point then is as it is today: the program's best days are behind it, and not ahead.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I would say they have a good coach, who is a great recruiter. I would also say they have ELITE height and size. That can be UConn's kryptonite when they are defended aggressively and don't shoot well.

That was supposed to be a reason why UConn would lose to ND earlier this year, but their size didn't stop us. I haven't watched the Baylor game replay yet, but I'm eager to see what Baylor did with its superior height that ND didn't. With a different game plan and better execution, I don't see why we can't beat Baylor, we're a faster, more athletic, and more agile team. Their superior height can be a weakness, too, if it slows them down against a fast team that can penetrate (draw fouls) and hit outside shots.

Reaction Score
That was supposed to be a reason why UConn would lose to ND earlier this year, but their size didn't stop us. I haven't watched the Baylor game replay yet, but I'm eager to see what Baylor did with its superior height that ND didn't. With a different game plan and better execution, I don't see why we can't beat Baylor, we're a faster, more athletic, and more agile team. Their superior height can be a weakness, too, if it slows them down against a fast team that can penetrate (draw fouls) and hit outside shots.
It ain't just "height." Baylor's bigs are BIG - especially Brown. "Aircraft Carrier" is not an exaggeration.

Reaction Score
It ain't just "height." Baylor's bigs are BIG - especially Brown. "Aircraft Carrier" is not an exaggeration.
Yep. I think people often forget that. There's a difference between being big and being tall. Brown is big. Stef was big. ONO is just tall (for now).

Last edited:

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score

You know the saying, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall." In another game, it can all change. I can see the headlines next time, "Baylor's Bigs a Liability as UConn Speeds to Victory." Baylor may have used its height effectively in this game, but Baylor is not unbeatable.

Reaction Score
Yep. I think people often forget that. There's a difference between being big and being tall. Brown is big. ONO is tall.
People are saying ONO needs to "bulk up." I think ONO will be great, but she will never by "bulky." Stewie didn't bulk up. She got stronger, but never "big."

Reaction Score
Yep. I think people often forget that. There's a difference between being big and being tall. Brown is big. Stef was big. ONO is just tall (for now).
Stewie isn't big, but a good rebounder, her team-mate Howard is also a decent rebounder. Position and desire make good rebounder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom