Reality Check | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Reality Check

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The players I mentioned from the PAC-12 are all having a better year than MW. And they are all better players than MW, whether they were playing in UCONN's system, or, their current system. Hard to compare numbers when they all play in different systems. And you would have to decide which stats matter? It is purely an individual's judgment. I have watched MW play in nearly every UCONN game that I can get on the west coast. And, have seen nearly all the PAC-12 games of the players I mentioned. I would take every one of these 2017 PAC-12 players on my team before MW. My 1st thought was when I read the original post, is this a joke? There are so many excellent players across the country from the 2017 class. Not to say MW won't be the best of the 2017 class by the time she finishes her career at UCONN.
Megan Walker has actually suited up against some Pac 12 teams and some of the players you mentioned -Cal 2X, UCLA, Stanford. If you picked those others players over Megan in those games chances are your team lost because Megan played better. Wait, what am I saying? Those Pac 12 teams did lose!

Reaction Score
Megan Walker has actually suited up against some Pac 12 teams and some of the players you mentioned -Cal 2X, UCLA, Stanford. If you picked those others players over Megan in those games chances are your team lost because Megan played better. Wait, what am I saying? Those Pac 12 teams did lose!
They didn't lose because of MW. BTW, I'm not bagging on MW. I'm responding to the statement you made about MW. I have no idea why you would make such a statement about MW, when it cannot be substantiated, just as my views about the 2017 PAC-12 players cannot be substantiated.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They didn't lose because of MW.
UCLA & Cori Close would disagree with you.
MW stepped into a void vacated by KLS foot injury and put up double figures in scoring. Listen to Cori she knows what she is talking about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How many women's championships have Uconn won without Lobo,Bird, Taurausi, Moore, or Stewart on the team

Wow. What a silly question. You've picked five players who represent 18 years of UConn history. So little chance that most, if not all, of our championships include our best players (by the way, you forgot Charles). And you could perform the same exercise for every other team in WCBB. Except you wouldn't need to name five players. Usually one or two would do.

Reaction Score
so you're honestly saying that Walker is having more of a positive impact for UConn then Westbrook is for Tennessee this season? I'm really hoping your just pulling my chain..

Apples and oranges. They are being asked to fill different roles. And if Westbrook was on UConn, who would you sit? CW or Crystal? Because we are small enough as it is without adding a third guard to the lineup.

Reaction Score
I just hope Geno isn't mean to the team. It's not like they wanted to lose. One can't help but think the outcome might have been different if they flip-flopped this game with Sunday's game.
Mean to the team? Ok I've heard it all now.

Reaction Score
UCLA & Cori Close would disagree with you.
MW stepped into a void vacated by KLS foot injury and put up double figures in scoring. Listen to Cori she knows what she is talking about.
I'm just going to respectfully disagree with your original statement re: MW.

Reaction Score
Bagger: Lou Gehrig is my favorite baseball player of all time but the truth of the matter is that Lou Gehrig was a member of six World Series champion Yankee teams, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936-1938. Ruth was on the first three of those teams and DiMaggio was on the last three of those teams. Gehrig did not win a single World Series without one of Ruth or DiMaggio.
How many years did he play without one or the other?

Reaction Score
I am definitely a homer. Flip that around, would Evina Westbrook or Carter be averaging Megan's numbers playing at UCONN? Before you answer that, both players lead their teams in turnovers by a wide wide margin, that would never work at UCONN. It's a question of efficiency. Carter is shooting 40% on the season and has more than twice as many shot attempts as Megan. 40% shooting would put you 2nd to last on the UCONN team and get you a seat on the bench.
Correct. And IMO, if Carter had gotten in the door at UConn, she might have been out as fast as AEH was.

Reaction Score
How many world series have the Yankees won without Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Jackson & Jeter on the team?

How many NBA titles have the Celtics won without Russell, Bird and Pierce on the team?

How many NBA titles have the Lakers won without Mikan, West, Johnson, and Bryant on the team?

Now let's take Super Bowls: how many Super Bowls have the Steelers won without Bradshaw and Roethlisberger on the team?

How many Super Bowls have the Dallas Cowboys won without Staubach and Aikman on the team?

How many Super Bowls have the Patriots won without Brady on the team?

And your point is??

The Celtics have only one title In the past 32 years. During the Larry Bird era there were three titles. One lone title since Bird retired.

The Yankees dynasty is over. The Cowboys and Steelers dynasties ended.

All dynasties eventually come to an end. The UConn dynasty will some day come to an end. Enjoy the winning while you can.

Reaction Score
Correct. And IMO, if Carter had gotten in the door at UConn, she might have been out as fast as AEH was.
Carter is far more talented offensively, but not sure she is better than any of the 2017 players that have been mentioned thus far, when evaluating a "complete" team player. Carter was an absolute liability in their game last night. Of the coaches I respect and follow, Carter probably wouldn't last in their system, or, would be riding the pine.

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges. They are being asked to fill different roles. And if Westbrook was on UConn, who would you sit? CW or Crystal? Because we are small enough as it is without adding a third guard to the lineup.

the question was who in the 2017 recruiting class was having a better season then Megan Walker..............whether you like or hate Tennessee, whether you like or dislike Westbrook's game, to say that she wasn't having a better season and having more of a positive impact on her team then MW would be absolutely absurd.........

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I agree with pretty much everything said here. But we must recognize it was also, an "off game" for this UCONN team. It was clear, from the outset, that UCONN would have to demonstrate its ability to score from the outside. Something this team usually does well. Against Baylor, however, Katie started cold as
ice ( which she has done in 2 or 3 of the last few games ). Megan did the same. And when Megan misses open shots, she loses confidence. Usually, she gets " back in the game" with easy baskets underneath, or on fast break. Against Baylor, however, there was no " underneath." And when she missed two free throws near the end of the first half, it was over for her, and we all worried she might not be be the superstar we need. It was a miracle that Katy nailed the rebound and put-back to make it a one point game.

This also left us with the delusion that UCONN was going to get it together in the second half and win the game. There was no reason on earth it should have been a one point deficit, given how terribly UCONN was shooting. A twenty year record, I am informed.

Williams was not in the game at all in the first half. The player who starred at Notre Dame had been left somewhere else, between Xmas holiday and Waco. She dished it off as quickly as she could, recognizing early that her classic drives to the basket for scores were not going to happen. Then, she put up an air ball, and that was it until too late in the game to matter. Geno saw this right away, hence the appearance of Coombs. But Coombs cannot score from the outside and cannot drive against Baylor's size. So she was never going to add anything, other than to give Coach time to talk with Williams and send Williams a message. Sadly, the message is; "we have no one who can help if you are not in the game."

Dangerfield did some good work early, and then Baylor's defense made her force her shots a bit, which were just off the mark. Pheesa had no chance inside...none. Brown is so big that even Collier's classic " fade back" jumper was blocked. And Pheesa is inconsistent from deep. ONO simply doesn't exist yet. And on it goes. Batouly is a wrecking ball who creates some damage, but knocks the china off the shelves in the process ( three fouls in how many minutes?).

So now what? On to the the AAC league games and more self-delusion. We do have some more tests in Louisville and South Carolina, I think. But there is no one with the size of Baylor. And, as I said, this was a record lousy game for UCONN, with the opponent having a lot to do with that.

So what does the future hold:

1. Williams will find the player who said " I was born for this." Against ND, it seemed that UCONN had found another superstar. And we need that desperately to win at the Big Dance. Come back, Chrystal !
2. The core three will be their usual AA selves. Worn out, maybe. But champions nonetheless.
3. Megan....I just don't know. Is she just out there because our bench is so lean? Is she playing because ...somehow...she was credentialed as the best HS player a few years ago? Is there a top player in Megan yearning to break free? If she is nothing more than she appears, we are in trouble. She does not seem a sharp shooter; she does not appear fast; she is a decent rebounder when not out-sized; she is okay at lay-ups but misses more than she should; we don't see anything of Gabby or Kia in her on defense; and if she misses free throws.
4. Olivia.....one wonders how far and how fast she can become a force. The next round of competition can create false impressions, due to the lack of quality. We have had " bigs" before who blossomed in the second year, and thereafter, but not before. If she remains where she is...2-4 minutes of nothing...this team will be vulnerable.
5. The rest of the bench ....there is no one who can be expected to " break-out" and help the team. No one who can push anyone for a starting role. Each can give starters a "breather," but no one will advance the team in a game.
6. Signing one top 40 recruit ( top 30? top 20? ) for next year is foreboding. Geno is not worried but we are.

And that is because we do not want the UCONN era to be over. We do not want this to be a window into the end of UCONN women hoops dominance. Are we seeing in Stores, Ct. what happened to the the UCLA mens Basketball program? Will the fans stay loyal if we are 15-15, and don't get invited to the NCAA in a few years time?
Man, I feel like I should be looking for chicken little today and tomorrow.

Reaction Score
the question was who in the 2017 recruiting class was having a better season then Megan Walker....whether you like or hate Tennessee, whether you like or dislike Westbrook's game, to say that she wasn't having a better season and having more of a positive impact on her team then MW would be absolutely absurd....

I feel bad for Megan Walker just because her shots weren’t falling in just like everyone else’s she’s become the target of ridicule from the fans. I’m pretty sure she didn’t like the way she played and here we are, “...players who are better than Megan Walker” bit

When are we going to stop eating our youngs?

Just FYI guys, recruit and their family reads the boneyard. As of right now, it’s become a scary place to be because the sky seems to be falling.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
For all the negativity over one game, let me make a few predictions, for this year and going forward. First, this team will make the elite 8 and there is a good possibility in my view the top 4. Any further, and it will be because of my next prediction.
Megan will regain her confidence before the tournaments, and due to league play, 1 or 2 bench players will also gain confidence and contribute more than just a couple minutes at the end of games.
Since I am sure some will think I am funny or out to lunch, I will predict now that Megan will be a prime time player by her junior and senior years. Seldom have I ever come across a number one player out of high school fail to be an impact player her final two years. Just give her a break and let her gain confidence in her abilities over the next section of the schedule. You may be surprised.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For all the negativity over one game, let me make a few predictions, for this year and going forward. First, this team will make the elite 8 and there is a good possibility in my view the top 4. Any further, and it will be because of my next prediction.
Megan will regain her confidence before the tournaments, and due to league play, 1 or 2 bench players will also gain confidence and contribute more than just a couple minutes at the end of games.
Since I am sure some will think I am funny or out to lunch, I will predict now that Megan will be a prime time player by her junior and senior years. Seldom have I ever come across a number one player out of high school fail to be an impact player her final two years. Just give her a break and let her gain confidence in her abilities over the next section of the schedule. You may be surprised.
Ironically, after the ND game, many of the same posters declared UConn a world beater. The team is only as good as it’s last game.

As that great sage Janet Jackson once sang, “What have you done for me lately?”.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
There are a bunch of pac 12 players for the 2017 class having very good season. Williams & Dotson at Stanford, Owenyere at UCLA, Dotson at Horvat at UCLA....Smith at Cal...Sabally at Oregon. The criteria though was having a better season than Megan Walker and none are. This is not a statistical argument it an efficiency and impact argument.

Here are Sabally's current stats: 16.0 pts./game (rounded up slightly), 55% from the field overall and 36.5% from three. Her free throw percentage is 90% and she averages 4.9 rebounds/game. In my view that qualifies as efficient in about 25 minutes on the court. "Impact" is obviously more subjective, but I think that up to this point in the season she can certainly hold her own with MW in that area.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Megan Walker just because her shots weren’t falling in just like everyone else’s she’s become the target of ridicule from the fans. I’m pretty sure she didn’t like the way she played and here we are, “...players who are better than Megan Walker” bit

When are we going to stop eating our youngs?

Just FYI guys, recruit and their family reads the boneyard. As of right now, it’s become a scary place to be because the sky seems to be falling.

I'm not criticizing MW at all....................I have been one of her biggest boosters from way back in high school (although I didn't like her marketing tactics) and defended her to the BYers who criticized her slow start.............she's definitely a much better player then last year and I expect her to take another dramatic jump next season..............that said, when someone says that she is having the best season of any of the 2017 recruits in the country I have to point out that this is simply not the case...............that doesn't at all diminish MW's abilities.

Reaction Score
Ironically, after the ND game, many of the same posters declared UConn a world beater. The team is only as good as it’s last game.

As that great sage Janet Jackson once sang, “What have you done for me lately?”.

We’re a bunch of shi**y fans sometimes. We don’t know how great we’ve got it that a little drizzle can look like a monsoon to some.

Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing MW at all.....I have been one of her biggest boosters from way back in high school (although I didn't like her marketing tactics) and defended her to the BYers who criticized her slow start...she's definitely a much better player then last year and I expect her to take another dramatic jump next season....that said, when someone says that she is having the best season of any of the 2017 recruits in the country I have to point out that this is simply not the case.....that doesn't at all diminish MW's abilities.

Not necessary you, if it seemed like it was pointed at you, it wasn’t my intent. All of the bashing of player/players after a loss just gets old sometimes.

Reaction Score
I watched the Baylor game a few times and it just confirmed what I've felt about this group post Stewie and Uconn's prospects for next year. First of all Baylor is not a great team, they have a great coach with solid players and some good height. That said they are by no means a great team. We played the worst first half ive seen us play in years and we wehed tre only down by one?
We are going to have to face it, this group post BS are very very mortal. As good as Lou and NC are they just do NOT take charge and will the team to win. This game is a glimpse into what next year is going to hold, only next year is going to be worse. I don't know if Geno has what it takes at his age to rebuild this, and this is a complete rebuild when Lou and Phese graduate. I hate to break the news to all of you guys but were going to have two players that can play at a high level coming into next year. We have CD and CW as the only premium talent. MW is not what we hoped for when she committed. She's a nice player but not a super star, not worthy of a number one recruit out of high school. Our recruiting has become flawed, maybe lazy! Sure our freshman class looks promising, but only 2 kids committed? Our incoming class is a class of 1? REALLY? I can almost guarantee you she's not a generational talent. Next year we are a top 25 team and can GENO handle it? More importantly at his age does he have the gusto to turn this around? IDK.
I've reached the same conclusion. Next year's team will be nothing more than above average. Until they recruit a much, much better crop of young'uns, we are in for some dry seasons. However flawed the current team is, folks, enjoy it while we have them, because it's not gonna get better for at least a year and maybe two years or more.

Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing MW at all.....I have been one of her biggest boosters from way back in high school (although I didn't like her marketing tactics) and defended her to the BYers who criticized her slow start...she's definitely a much better player then last year and I expect her to take another dramatic jump next season....that said, when someone says that she is having the best season of any of the 2017 recruits in the country I have to point out that this is simply not the case.....that doesn't at all diminish MW's abilities.

2017 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100

Westbrook and Carter are PGs, maybe harder to compare. How about looking at next couple of Wings on list...

Dodson 11th ranked, stats:
(PDF) - Stanford University Athletics

Davis 12th ranked, stats:
2018-2019 Women's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - University of Tennessee Athletics

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here are Sabally's current stats: 16.0 pts./game (rounded up slightly), 55% from the field overall and 36.5% from three. Her free throw percentage is 90% and she averages 4.9 rebounds/game. In my view that qualifies as efficient in about 25 minutes on the court. "Impact" is obviously more subjective, but I think that up to this point in the season she can certainly hold her own with MW in that area.
Impressive numbers indeed . Two factors that speaks to both efficiency and impact though is the Oregon schedule. Specifically Sabally was not very impactful against Syracuse (1 for 7) Mississippi State (1 for 3) or Michigan State (5 of 12). So that average is greatly padded by performances against teams like North Dakota state ( 27 points) and Alaska Fairbanks 21 points. Do you really think that Megan couldn't drop 27 points on the Jack Rabbits?

Reaction Score
Agree. They keyed on stopping Lou and to a lesser extent Pheese. MW was the only one consistently getting open looks at close range. I don't know how many she missed, but it was a lot. Not what we had expected from her.
She shot better than most, believe it or not. Stats don’t lie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom