Realistic Expectations | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Realistic Expectations

Reaction Score
Right. But we were way outmatched in most of those WVU games. Anyone that thinks we should have played most of those games close were looking through homer glasses.

You guys are right. I misread the part about the exceptions. Bottom line is, and most agree, RE 1.0 rarely lost a game we should have won. I expect that and even more.

I don't think we realize what kind of staff Randy has this time. I expect year 2 to be pretty special. I also expect year one to be competitive with some growing pains.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I went with I believe 8 wins last year and was thoroughly disappointed, as we all were. Seeing how we have even more question marks in personnel and now coaches I can't set my sights higher then 3-4 wins. We don't have a QB. We have a bunch of promise in 3 frosh, a clunker with a shot to improve in DW, and maybe BS? I can't pin hopes on that when we lost our best offensive weapon.

So I'm going low with 3-4 wins this year. I said last year I just want to be competitive in games, even if we lose. That goes again for next season but I wanna see that our Offense is given some freedom to let loose and modernize. No more RRP for me please.

Reaction Score
We don't have a QB. We have a bunch of promise in 3 frosh, a clunker with a shot to improve in DW, and maybe BS?

Just a point of clarification - JUCO QB transfer David Pindell comes is as a Junior.

Reaction Score
The secret sauce is that you only need to win 2 OOC games (at least 1 is a gimme), and split your conference slate to be bowl eligible. Losing to Navy, BC, and Cuse was the difference. That should not that too big a bridge to cross. It gets smaller if you can beat the Tulanes and UCF's of the world.

I hope we can look back at the end of the year and say to BD and PP, "See, it wasn't that hard now was it?"

Is that the same UCF that beat Baylor a few seasons back?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just a point of clarification - JUCO QB transfer David Pindell comes is as a Junior.
Thx I knew that but I still consider him just as unknown as the two frosh.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Is that the same UCF that beat Baylor a few seasons back?

Same one that also went winless the next season and haven't done much since Leary left.

Reaction Score
We miss Navy and Houston this year. So that's good.
True. Glad not to have to face Navy's offense for a couple years.

As for UH, I think picking up Tulsa and dropping Houston will turn out to be an even swap, or Tulsa will probably be the better team in '17. Tulsa is starting to get it going under Montgomery (an Art Briles protege, without all the "stink" on him), and year 3 for him could be big. He inherited a team that had won 5 games combined over the 2 prior seasons, and got them to 6-7 year one, to 10-3 last season, and , and is returning their QB, 2 of the 3 top WR's, top 2 RB's,, but I am not sure how much of the OL will be new starters.... I predict Tulsa will be competing for the AAC championship, a NY6 bowl, and you will hear Montgomerie's name being thrown around for P5 openings by seasons end.

Reaction Score
Doesn't he have 3 to play 2?

He has two seasons of eligibility remaining so if he redshirts this year - he can be reclassified if that occurs (or appropriate classification thereafter).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope people don't expect too much from the start. Realistically I expect a slow start and a gradual improvement throughout the season. I think the staff will learn a lot more about what individual players can do once the real games start as opposed to preseason practices. They will continue to make personal adjustments and scheme adjustments off of what they learn in the actual games. Some players are better practice players than they are game players and vice versa. There is a learning curve involved here.

Reaction Score
Taking into account that RE2 and staff do not have the time or players they want, anything less than 5-7 is a disappointment. I think last year fiasco was due to BD losing control of team and players. I would expect lots more positives this year!!!

Reaction Score
Taking into account that RE2 and staff do not have the time or players they want, anything less than 5-7 is a disappointment. I think last year fiasco was due to BD losing control of team and players. I would expect lots more positives this year!!!
Anything less than 6-6 and a bowl is a disappointment any year including 2017 and it isn't very encouraging for Edsall to make a statement about the O-line needing the most work and that he "hopes" somebody steps up from that group. Everyone knew the O-line was a train wreck. It's been a train wreck ever since he left. He was brought in here to fix that wreck. It should be fun to see how he does it but on day one of Spring practice word comes that he loses a lineman due to loss of......something, faith, desire, whatever. Mamma Mia I hope they are turning over stones looking for a JUCO or Grad replacement.

Reaction Score
4 or 5 wins. I'd be over the moon with 6 wins but I highly doubt that will happen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We had Navy beat last year and left several other wins on the table. Since Diaco was awful, good coaching this year should get us to a bowl game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom