OT: - Realignment? | Page 42 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
There is only one Northeast state where you see big fanbase statewide like you see in the south or the Midwest. And that’s Pennsylvania. Connecticut might be like that too or close to it someday. New England’s teams are the Pats and the Red Sox.
I guess you have never been to southern CT !!!!!!

Reaction Score
Cal could be in serious trouble thanks to UCLA. I don't hear people talking about Cal going to the B1G with Stanford.

• Cal’s current Stadium Debt and the commitments it made to capital programs (outside of Memorial Stadium), coaches' salaries, etc could be as high as $1B. The repayment of which is based on the future revenues that come from Football.
  • It’s almost impossible to imagine that a reconstituted Pac 12 without the LA Schools would be able to come close to the revenue needed to support the current department.
  • Without a seat at College Football’s biggest table, there’s an almost near certainty of Cal needing to cut many of its current sports. Though the largest implication may well be the material and long-term loss of alumni support for the University as a whole. Season ticket holders, ESP donors, Championship Caliber Fund supporters, and potential NIL funders are likely to dissipate quickly

Reaction Score
Former Georgia head coach...Jim Donnan

“Miami, Florida State, Clemson, and North Carolina are going to be in the SEC pretty quick," Donnan said. "North Carolina's basketball helps them a lot along those lines but those four teams are going to be coming in here to go along with maybe a couple more from the west coast.”

Reaction Score
Braden Keith is not a notable source...but he could have picked up someting...or is just repeating rumor.
Negotiating in this kind of climate is not a surprise. I wonder if instead of Va. the fourth team is Miami

Reaction Score
Negotiating in this kind of climate is not a surprise. I wonder if instead of Va. the fourth team is Miami
One of the more believable parts of the tweet is it named Virginia as the 4th. There was alway a media-driven notion that UNC was tied to Duke and that SEC would search out football/branding superstars. But Virginia is UNC’s closest friend in the ACC. The fact they were the one’s mentioned made me sit up and notice.

Reaction Score
Rumor on this UVA-linked podcast that if the conferences break up, Duke, UVA and UNC apparently have agreed to go to B10.

Reaction Score
They have Maryland. Why wouldn't they get UVA and UNC? Duke I find hard to believe, seems too small for Big 10.
UNC is likely a school that both SEC & B1G will target as an addition.

Good enough in football with a large alumni base and huge T-shirt fanbase.

Highly ranked in USNWR ratings and an AAU school

Add in the the huge growth happening in the Triangle region and they become a valuable target

Reaction Score
They have Maryland. Why wouldn't they get UVA and UNC? Duke I find hard to believe, seems too small for Big 10.
Although we think basketball doesn't matter, ratings for Duke games, especially UNC/Duke are very high. Last year, the UNC/Duke games were 4.2 million for each of their 2 games which would be a very large number for college football. The women's national championship game between UConn and South Carolina had an average viewership of 4.85 million which is the highest of any men's or women's basketball game on ESPN since 2008. People want to watch brands which is why Duke and UConn are valuable properties even though they are not very good in football right now.

Reaction Score
Although we think basketball doesn't matter, ratings for Duke games, especially UNC/Duke are very high. Last year, the UNC/Duke games were 4.2 million for each of their 2 games which would be a very large number for college football. The women's national championship game between UConn and South Carolina had an average viewership of 4.85 million which is the highest of any men's or women's basketball game on ESPN since 2008. People want to watch brands which is why Duke and UConn are valuable properties even though they are not very good in football right now.

Sure. And that’s why we had to fight off so many offers from P5 conferences. Duke is not happening.

Reaction Score
Miami isn’t what it once was. They’ve been in decline for a long time.

But...Miami still brings viewers....

I wanted a big sample size, so I logged 1,516 regular-season games with available viewership data from the five-year span of 2015-19 (I left out 2020 for obvious reasons). That includes every televised game involving Notre Dame, BYU, Army or a team from the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, AAC or Mountain West.

Miami #23..

Run It Back With Zack

Reaction Score

I wanted a big sample size, so I logged 1,516 regular-season games with available viewership data from the five-year span of 2015-19 (I left out 2020 for obvious reasons). That includes every televised game involving Notre Dame, BYU, Army or a team from the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, AAC or Mountain West.

Miami #23..

Run It Back With Zack
Do you have the full list? That would be interesting to see.

Reaction Score

Miami #23..

Run It Back With Zack
Miami only draws viewers when they are playing schools like FSU/Florida/Alabama/Notre Dame/LSU or they are in a prime spot like Labor Day weekend with no other games conflicting. They are not the main attraction. I just looked at their TV ratings over the last few years and they support this. Look at 2019. Miami played Duke and attracted 454k viewers. Alabama played Duke and attracted 4.64 million viewers.

Here are some other ratings for Miami:

Miami/NC St. = 675k
App State/Miami = 395k
Louisville/Miami = 330k
VT/Miami = 893k
Pitt/Miami = 1.08 million
Akron/Miami = too low to measure
Miami/GT = 551k
Miami/UVA = 870k
Miami/FIU = 345k
Miami/UNC = 1.007 million

Reaction Score
Do you have the full list? That would be interesting to see.

google Run it back with Zach Miller....but you do have to have a "medium" account or sign up to see his stuff...

Reaction Score
It’s out there, but that same list claims that Washington State has the 39th most viewership better than a significant number of P5 teams and all of the 4 corners group. Those viewership numbers are highly matchup/network/convenience dependent and don’t by themselves provide a good read into the programs value to a tv deal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom