Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel "Arms Race" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel "Arms Race"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not being argumentative here, because I really don't know. But let me query the assessment of "renaissance": what exactly does that mean? How much and how sustained? Did it tend to be one-time gift (principle needs to be spent out) or endowment (only interest is spent)? How much of that went strictly to athletics and not to the general funds? how much of those private donations allowed the state to reduce its share? how much went into new building for which there wasn't also put aside money for maintenance (such as Gampel's roof currently)? Funding a relatively large public university is like funding a medium size city, with all the complexity and competing needs. Like increased revenue to cities (usually, taxes) money may come into a university, but it doesn't always go where intended nor even in the end really move the needle. Development offices (now called Advancement) love to trumpet their success with big, big numbers. But the complexity of an institution like UConn usually means that these figures are highly exaggerated in relationship to direct and lasting impact.

These are the funding projects since the 1st men's and women's championships:

UCONN 2000: 112 projects totaling $2.9 billion in bonds have been authorized • $2.6 billion in construction-related contracts issued from all fund sources – 62% of funds to Connecticut contractors, 20% to set-aside contractors • In excess of 4 million square feet of new space added, as well as a significant amount of renovated space.

Next Generation Connecticut: $1.5 billion capital investment over 10 years includes construction, renovations, infrastructure, and equipment.

Bioscience Connecticut: $864 million investment in genomics and personalized medicine.​

It is my understanding that none or virtually none of this money has been used for athletics - but I did not specifically look it up.

Gampel cost $28 million, I'm not sure of the funding.
Rentschler Field cost 91 million. It is not owned by UConn.

Shenkman/Burton football training and Werth family basketball center were all built by private contribution.

I'd say that 5.3B + constitutes a renaissance but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These are the funding projects since the 1st men's and women's championships:
UCONN 2000: 112 projects totaling $2.9 billion in bonds have been authorized • $2.6 billion in construction-related contracts issued from all fund sources – 62% of funds to Connecticut contractors, 20% to set-aside contractors • In excess of 4 million square feet of new space added, as well as a significant amount of renovated space.
Next Generation Connecticut: $1.5 billion capital investment over 10 years includes construction, renovations, infrastructure, and equipment
Bioscience Connecticut: $864 million investment in genomics and personalized medicine​
I'd say that 5.3 + constitutes a renaissance but maybe that's just me.

Thanks, CL82: that's awesome information you gathered. Of course, you really can't count the $2.9B raised from issuing bonds as part of fundraising. Schools do that sort of thing all the time when interest rates are advantageous and it has nothing to do with sports success. They have to pay that money back.

And I know this also sounds argumentative (I do appreciate our conversation), but what you supplied are the data since 2000. We don't know whether it's significantly greater than pre-2000 data (and we'd need to factor in pre- and post- 2000 inflation etc).

To be sure, UConn is a very impressive campus, and I certainly agree that it is an institution on the move. But my original point was that winning sports teams don't necessarily correlate with significant increases in alumni contributions. We'd have to do a longitudinal study and exclude other variables.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Thanks, CL82: that's awesome information you gathered. Of course, you really can't count the $2.9B raised from issuing bonds as part of fundraising. Schools do that sort of thing all the time when interest rates are advantageous and it has nothing to do with sports success. They have to pay that money back.

And I know this also sounds argumentative (I do appreciate our conversation), but what you supplied are the data since 2000. We don't know whether it's significantly greater than pre-2000 data (and we'd need to factor in pre- and post- 2000 inflation etc).

To be sure, UConn is a very impressive campus, and I certainly agree that it is an institution on the move. But my original point was that winning sports teams don't necessarily correlate with significant increases in alumni contributions. We'd have to do a longitudinal study and exclude other variables.

I think you are drifting a bit. Your original question was: But let me query the assessment of "renaissance": what exactly does that mean? How much and how sustained? The answer is in excess of $5 billion.

The growth since 2000 has been formidable. It is a quantum leap over any other period in the university's history. If you want to validate and or dispute that, feel free to research it and post it. Until, then, these are the numbers.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I can promise you that it is a huge increase in infrastructure investment and that it probably dwarfs any previous 10/15 year period except the huge expansion of the late 40s-early 60s as a result of the GI bill and an large expansion in enrollment and about 50 percent of the buildings that existed through the seventies at least.
That statement only refers to the Storrs campus - not sure exactly when and how quickly the Medical school in Farmington was developed and expanded.

On the issuing of bonds which needs state approval - it is a way to get the money in hand and spread the repayment out so it becomes a line item in the general operating budget for the next 20+ years and much of the budget is funded by the state.

Reaction Score
I think you are drifting a bit. Your original question was: But let me query the assessment of "renaissance": what exactly does that mean? How much and how sustained? The answer is in excess of $5 billion.

The growth since 2000 has been formidable. It is a quantum leap over any other period in the university's history. If you want to validate and or dispute that, feel free to research it and post it. Until, then, these are the numbers.
No, go back to the beginning of this thread. This was my point: the lack of correlation with sports success.
And UcMiami, I don't doubt you. But I'm trying to rely on numbers not impressions, and acknowledge other variables.

All moot at this point, since the research has been done and shows some, but not huge, correlation.
Anyway, who cares? We've got Azura!
Great blogging with you all.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I expect the expansion of the 50s translated in 2000 dollars would be equal to this expansion - but that is probably the only other time period dating back to the founding of the school.

CL82

Reaction Score
No, go back to the beginning of this thread. This was my point: the lack of correlation with sports success.
And UcMiami, I don't doubt you. But I'm trying to rely on numbers not impressions, and acknowledge other variables.

All moot at this point, since the research has been done and shows some, but not huge, correlation.
Anyway, who cares? We've got Azura!
Great blogging with you all.
Except here's the thing, you haven't provided any numbers, just impressions. Every school may not see an huge influx of state investment due to the success of it sports programs, but UConn did.

Reaction Score
UC & Bags - If you go back and read my original post I have numerous questions. Even the few declarative statements finished with a question. The purpose of my post was not to specifically choose a side. I wanted to bring up issues that were not clear or were controversial.
I don't know what the answer is. I asked questions to see how others see the issue and to listen to their solutions or reasoning.
IMO - Asking a question means I need more info and I am not locked into a certain side or mindset. Also, questions kind of pokes the bear to see what will happen.
PhillyCoach---As you know I enjoy reading your contributions--I look for them. There is another poster who uses PhillyConn which, in my speed reading ventures, I mistakenly think it's you. I prefer the Coach, other guy is ok but he just isn't coach.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Except here's the thing, you haven't provided any numbers, just impressions. Every school may not see an huge influx of state investment due to the success of it sports programs, but UConn did.
OK, I'm not going to get involved, but I don't think that state investment was the center of any of the initial conversation.

Rather, does sports success drive alumni (and other) donations. Likewise, it could be asked how sports success translates into interest in the school by prospective students.

Reaction Score
I expect the expansion of the 50s translated in 2000 dollars would be equal to this expansion - but that is probably the only other time period dating back to the founding of the school.
I tend to use a multiplier of about 25 when bringing those dollars to reflect what the would be today. But it depends if you are speaking wages, homes cost, gasoline. I use the following for 1960's pricing
Homes run about a 15 multiplier
Gasoline 10 to 20
Wages about 15-20 depending on the occupation
There is a formulae that uses e to the negative power T for time/ current inflation--but the exact formulae escapes my feeble brain at the moment--but I'm sure a math major/engineer will provide it handily.
But my rough (why isn't that ruff) multipliers have worked for me.
I use it when people say--back in the day gas only cost 25 cents look at it today 205 cents--yes but adjusted for inflation it would be 250 to 350/gal you are getting a good deal!! 13 ears of corn in Ellington were 1 dollar--to day they should be 15 dollars adjusting for inflation..

CL82

Reaction Score
OK, I'm not going to get involved, but I don't think that state investment was the center of any of the initial conversation.

Rather, does sports success drive alumni (and other) donations. Likewise, it could be asked how sports success translates into interest in the school by prospective students.
Shaddup Jersey!

Reaction Score

From a personal perspective: Yes success makes the college more in your mind--gives you an elated feeling that transforms to more open pocketbook.
Also it has to do with the amount of LIQUID assets you have and how long you expect to live (speaking for old farts)--if you truly believe, as I do, that I cannot out live my assets--then you tend to be more generous. Once tight purses open up. From experience--once more cautious with spending --changes when you have fewer worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom