Readjusting the team's strategy | The Boneyard

Readjusting the team's strategy

Reaction Score
Geno has been quoted recently as having to readjust the team' strategies to compensate for the multitude of injuries. I suggest we fans should do the same thing. Could we stop being hypercritical of every bad play? Could we stop whining that the game was not pretty? (I miss that too.) If the team goes undefeated for the season from now on and wins number 12, but every game is decided by 3 or fewer points, wouldn't you be ecstatic?
I am going to enjoy the ride for as far as it goes and, in the end, thank the team for its efforts.

Reaction Score
If the team goes undefeated for the season from now on and wins number 12...
Uh, that's not going to happen. But I agree that regardless of how it goes from here on in, we could try to do a better job of just riding with the punches.

Reaction Score
I think that readjusting strategy and readjusting expectations are two different things. For example, given its injuries, UConn could use more pick and roll, utilizing Paige and Edwards, their two best players. With the two of them on one side of the floor, a couple of shooters could be on the opposite side of the floor if the defense over commits to stop the Paige/Edwards isolation. That would be an example of a new strategy and a significant departure from UConn’s typical ball movement offense.

Reaction Score
I think that readjusting strategy and readjusting expectations are two different things. For example, given its injuries, UConn could use more pick and roll, utilizing Paige and Edwards, their two best players. With the two of them on one side of the floor, a couple of shooters could be on the opposite side of the floor if the defense over commits to stop the Paige/Edwards isolation. That would be an example of a new strategy and a significant departure from UConn’s typical ball movement offense.
With the week of practice between Kansas & Texas, I am looking forward to an arsenal plays that highlight the athleticism and energy that the "Four Freshman of the Apocalypse" [KK, AS, QS & Ice] will bring with the assistance of the four Seniors [AE, PB, NM, & AG], as I think it will be an eight woman rotation vs. Texas on Sunday in Austin.

Reaction Score
I hope they are shooting the ball (like a thousand shots per practice) and the rest will fall into place.

Reaction Score
For example, given its injuries, UConn could use more pick and roll, utilizing Paige and Edwards, their two best players. With the two of them on one side of the floor, a couple of shooters could be on the opposite side of the floor if the defense over commits to stop the Paige/Edwards isolation. That would be an example of a new strategy and a significant departure from UConn’s typical ball movement offense.
I don't think this strategy is any better unless you mean have Paige and Aaliyah shoot more. IMO the players have already been open in a non-pick-and-roll. So, running the same thing and passing - would be the same result. -- Some games they are hot - some games they are not.

And another way of saying this- the team is better overall when Paige shoots the ball. They are overall not better when she passes it.

Reaction Score
I don't think this strategy is any better unless you mean have Paige and Aaliyah shoot more. IMO the players have already been open in a non-pick-and-roll. So, running the same thing and passing - would be the same result. -- Some games they are hot - some games they are not.

And another way of saying this- the team is better overall when Paige shoots the ball. They are overall not better when she passes it.

A pick and roll focused offense presupposes the ball being in Paige’s hands more with the goal of getting Paige and Edwards in mismatches. The comment about shooters in the other side concerns an outlet when a team attempts to double one or both of the players in the pick and roll.

Reaction Score
A pick and roll focused offense presupposes the ball being in Paige’s hands more with the goal of getting Paige and Edwards in mismatches. The comment about shooters in the other side concerns an outlet when a team attempts to double one or both of the players in the pick and roll.
Correct! But, to be effective we must have an outlet capable of scoring consistently from the other side and so far that has been lacking unfortunately. Hopefully in time it will come, I'm just not sure who it will come from?

Reaction Score
We can all agree that a two big player combination is essential at times. If ICE can grow into that role as the season progresses it is our best option against certain teams.

Reaction Score
With the week of practice between Kansas & Texas, I am looking forward to an arsenal plays that highlight the athleticism and energy that the "Four Freshman of the Apocalypse" [KK, AS, QS & Ice] will bring with the assistance of the four Seniors [AE, PB, NM, & AG], as I think it will be an eight woman rotation vs. Texas on Sunday in Austin.
I agree that AG in particular should only shoot during practice. She's got the dribble drive down. A mid-range jumper could open up the paint for a variety of offense. I've ranted on this, asking our surplus of coaches to focus on this dynamic to propel AG to an All American performer.

Reaction Score
I hope they are shooting the ball (like a thousand shots per practice) and the rest will fall into place.
To me the shot selection has been off more than the shooting. UConn is working the clock down to a point where the shot seems forced even if it is a shot they should usually make.

Reaction Score
I would imagine this week was all about finding the right combination for the floor and deciding who will be coming off the bench to rest players. I expect a totally different look for the starters and offense stacked on the reserves when they enter the game. UConn has several players that are good enough to contribute, maybe just not against fresh starters.

How do they win number 12? They most get something out of Amari. The players they have playing post are good solid bodies but they don't jump well and teams are taking advantage of that. AE has been controlled in every loss and most of that has been because she gets the ball and turns to the basket just to run into a couple trees. They also MUST do a better job of finishing on easy baskets. They have missed a bunch of them and if you miss lay ups you don't beat good teams.

Reaction Score
Yes. My point is the shooters are already open in the sets that they run. So, there is no difference now or with the pick and roll.

Reaction Score
You can't seriously be suggesting that as possibility this season? They are going to have a difficult time just winning the Big East. So lets keep it real please.
In the summer they were talking about playing 12 deep this year so yes my expectation is they still compete for a title. The still have two All Americans and the best defender in the Big East 2 years running. The issue right now is they are getting zero out of CD, AD and Ice and those players are good enough to make meaningful contributions to this team. Aubrey needs to be more consistent and all of them need to play with urgency and focus which shows up in how many lay ups they miss.

This team is every bit as good as any other but the coaches are going to have to earn their money and the players are going to have to show why they were recruited by UConn in the first place.

Reaction Score
In the summer they were talking about playing 12 deep this year so yes my expectation is they still compete for a title. The still have two All Americans and the best defender in the Big East 2 years running. The issue right now is they are getting zero out of CD, AD and Ice and those players are good enough to make meaningful contributions to this team. Aubrey needs to be more consistent and all of them need to play with urgency and focus which shows up in how many lay ups they miss.

This team is every bit as good as any other but the coaches are going to have to earn their money and the players are going to have to show why they were recruited by UConn in the first place.
I'd like some of what you're smokin'. :)

Reaction Score
That’s a little harsh
So u miss layups due to lack of urgency and focus
Wow
And the players are going to have to show why they really threw it in the first place
I just wonder if some of these comments from people actually watch the games

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Ines get more PT as she looked really good in the European Games for Portugal this summer!
And at this stage of the game it couldn't hurt more than our situation already does!

Reaction Score
Geno has been quoted recently as having to readjust the team' strategies to compensate for the multitude of injuries. I suggest we fans should do the same thing. Could we stop being hypercritical of every bad play? Could we stop whining that the game was not pretty? (I miss that too.) If the team goes undefeated for the season from now on and wins number 12, but every game is decided by 3 or fewer points, wouldn't you be ecstatic?
I am going to enjoy the ride for as far as it goes and, in the end, thank the team for its efforts.
Can you please publish the address that you use to thank the team??

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Ines get more PT as she looked really good in the European Games for Portugal this summer!
And at this stage of the game it couldn't hurt more than our situation already does!
Coach--I'd like to see at least 3 others getting more PT. Sometimes you have to choose your poison---and Geno right now is upt to his ears in unplayable players. How do you win games with inexperienced players--I bet you had this problem once

Reaction Score
That’s a little harsh
So u miss layups due to lack of urgency and focus
Wow
And the players are going to have to show why they really threw it in the first place
I just wonder if some of these comments from people actually watch the games
Shots are missed for dozens of reasons ---but mostly because some girl on the other team doesn't what you to make it. However Concentration during the act of shooting is ultimately important. Yes Focusing i.e. concentrating on the rim is necessary if you expect to be hit. \
The memory of AFTER GAME fans is extremely short---most comments ignore another team is on the floor with Uconn.

Reaction Score
Uh, that's not going to happen. But I agree that regardless of how it goes from here on in, we could try to do a better job of just riding with the punches.
I've watched Geno for 35 or so years. In his early days I learned to believe. His team would be down by 15 at the half and he'd win by 10. He played many season using 7 player or 8 sometime. If not an NC the FF happened. I know what you say is logical--but logic doesn't consider the wins this guy has won.

Reaction Score
How many losses does Uconn have? How many losses excludes Uconn from the NC run? I assume we learn that in March?

Reaction Score
I would imagine this week was all about finding the right combination for the floor and deciding who will be coming off the bench to rest players. I expect a totally different look for the starters and offense stacked on the reserves when they enter the game. UConn has several players that are good enough to contribute, maybe just not against fresh starters.

How do they win number 12? They most get something out of Amari. The players they have playing post are good solid bodies but they don't jump well and teams are taking advantage of that. AE has been controlled in every loss and most of that has been because she gets the ball and turns to the basket just to run into a couple trees. They also MUST do a better job of finishing on easy baskets. They have missed a bunch of them and if you miss lay ups you don't beat good teams.
I hope I am wrong, but I just don’t see Geno making any significant changes, particularly with Amari or Ines. His coaching DNA is hard-coded. He will play 6 maybe 7 person rotation and ride that as far as it takes them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom