Re: Diaco channeling Belicheck thread | The Boneyard

Re: Diaco channeling Belicheck thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In response to the Diaco channeling Belichek thread I have a few things to say. First, for those hoping for a turnaround in yr 2 are a little unrealistic. Unfortunately what you guys don't seem to understand is that UConn doesn't sit in a hotbed for HS football, and that UConn doesn't have the history in football to make a turnaround in yr 2 realistic (improvement, yes - would say a 5 win season next yr would be great). What are you expecting next yr with a bunch of freshman - and a bunch of kids that should have been redshirted but have been thrown in the Fire earlier than normal due to the horrendous situation?
Also, people are giving him crap for not being able to stop the read option - think about it, if it were that easy to stop no team would run the read option cus all you would have to do is plan for it a wk in advance and assign a linebacker to stop it (when you get to the pros the read option is rather innefective but the college level is a different story - and no I'm not saying Army is a good football team). Also, look what happened to Michigan State this wkd and they have one of the best defenses in the country and one of the, if not the best defensive coordinator in college.
Lastly, with regards to him calling the team still bad but not as bad - I don't have a problem with it and to a degree respect it. As a society we have become a bunch of "wusses" with everyone too concerned about being politically correct and nice and no one willing to 'call a spade a spade' which is what he is doing. I think what's promoted him to make that comment and correctly so is that we will play well against a Boise St, ECU and UCF (the tougher teams we have played) and play horrendous against bad teams (we are not playing how we should be playing against bad teams-and the coaching isn't changing much from game to game to put it solely on the coaches). I also believe that when he says we are a bad team right now but not as bad-he is saying they have a lot of work to do and that he is including the coaches as part of the team. As a head coach I don't believe he's found his effective way of getting the message across to players - everyone has a different way of getting their message across, some encourage (Ollie) and some yell and scream (Calhoun) - I think he tried the Ollie route and it hasn't worked so now he's going the Calhoun route.

Reaction Score
I think his game preparation and scheme planning has started out very bad and is still very bad. Good to see that the team is improving more than his coaching.
If the read option was so hard to stop all the teams would be running it.

Reaction Score
analogy: husky foosball is in Europa Theatre Operations and in dire straits vs trois panzer divisions

husky has ample ammo and manpower for dee firefight to defend Camp Lucky Strike,ETO Hdqts USA

husky need Ike to set the battle plan of operations because only total victory is acceptable to maintain the timetable for taking out Berlin

demhuskygotsmajorlyprobs

demhuskygotsonlyamajor in Mr B Pit and he pretty and all but he only was forced to attend basic boot camp at FtDix Boogie by producer of big show and even wit dat major achievement he still only pretty boy wit slight big game vocab and tough guy facade of smoke and mirrors

continue on dis path and all bone fossils only have vocab guten tag, auf viedersen,fraulein

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh Ohio State can run an offense so ignore what happens against Army... got it.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
In response to the Diaco channeling Belichek thread I have a few things to say. First, for those hoping for a turnaround in yr 2 are a little unrealistic. Unfortunately what you guys don't seem to understand is that UConn doesn't sit in a hotbed for HS football, and that UConn doesn't have the history in football to make a turnaround in yr 2 realistic (improvement, yes - would say a 5 win season next yr would be great). What are you expecting next yr with a bunch of freshman - and a bunch of kids that should have been redshirted but have been thrown in the Fire earlier than normal due to the horrendous situation?
I expected competitiveness and extremely good coaching from a Broyles Award Winner - the team has talent and you can win and be competitive with 2 and 3 star recruits - the cup board IS NOT bare. I did not expect what seems like complete undecisiveness on personnel packages, questionable use of time outs, a no passing game plan at USF and what seems like no killer instinct. We need WINS as a program and I am not seeing the process of killer instinct to win a game - and his rah rah at the start was nice, his press conferences and quotes are at this point head scratching.
I expected 5-7 wins this year - PP was able to do that - even TJ was able to run off 3 straight at the end of last year.

I am not off the bandwagon but...

My expectation next year is a bowl game - there are only about 13 seniors on this squad and there are a TON of returning players with game experience coming back - most likely.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Agree. We've reached a stage where a bowl game next year against another weak schedule is a red line must.

You can't be doing it right and miss 5 straight years.

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice that the OP has the worst Post to Like ratio in the history of the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I expected competitiveness and extremely good coaching from a Broyles Award Winner - the team has talent and you can win and be competitive with 2 and 3 star recruits - the cup board IS NOT bare. I did not expect what seems like complete undecisiveness on personnel packages, questionable use of time outs, a no passing game plan at USF and what seems like no killer instinct. We need WINS as a program and I am not seeing the process of killer instinct to win a game - and his rah rah at the start was nice, his press conferences and quotes are at this point head scratching.
I expected 5-7 wins this year - PP was able to do that - even TJ was able to run off 3 straight at the end of last year.

I am not off the bandwagon but...

My expectation next year is a bowl game - there are only about 13 seniors on this squad and there are a TON of returning players with game experience coming back - most likely.
There are some talented players on the roster but as a team the talent level is rather low (not to mention the lack of a QB). Also, I thought Weist did a fine job but you're looking too much into those 3 wins against opponents who had a total of 7 wins between all of them on the season. He's a first yr coach, he's gonna have a learning curve and it takes a while to turn a team around - PP inherited an 8 win team with 4 defensive players drafted (and I believe 2 players on offense that made the league) and went 5-7 in consecutive yrs then when he lost Edsalls players started 0-4 before being canned. But enlighten me with all the talent and 3 star players that Diaco inherited.

Reaction Score
with someone trying to prove
Someone pointed out that the inability to stop Army was completely on coaching and that with time to prepare we shoulda been able to stop Army's spread offense - I was making the point that one of the best defensive teams with one of if not the best defensive coordinator in the country was unable to stop Ohio States spread offense. Ohio State and Army are not in the same league nor am I implying that they are-just pointing out its easy to Monday morning coach while blaming the Head Coach/DC for everything.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
There are some talented players on the roster but as a team the talent level is rather low (not to mention the lack of a QB). Also, I thought Weist did a fine job but you're looking too much into those 3 wins against opponents who had a total of 7 wins between all of them on the season. He's a first yr coach, he's gonna have a learning curve and it takes a while to turn a team around - PP inherited an 8 win team with 4 defensive players drafted (and I believe 2 players on offense that made the league) and went 5-7 in consecutive yrs then when he lost Edsalls players started 0-4 before being canned. But enlighten me with all the talent and 3 star players that Diaco inherited.
I dont have the time to go through the entire roster however this is the BEST WR group this university has ever had - no QB includes the CT Hero TB as he seems to not be able to unseat CW yet he suffered with a Florida and BC offer - a transfer LB from Florida, his talents were so good he got an SEC offer, and BD claiming the best safety he ever coached who was getting repeatedly beat in the first 5 weeks of the season, in his defense now he is playing much better. To me there are some talented players on this team - like I stated the in my above post.

To your point of looking too much into the 3 wins against opponents who had a total of 7 wins between them about coach Weist - Army USF and Tulane have a combined 9 wins - take away the 3 UConn wins those teams have and that is a total combined wins of 6 - I wont get carried away with the TJ Weist wins if you dont get carried away with a learning curve that Diaco needs that Weist didnt and the loses against bad teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom