RB Ja’kevious Vickers to Transfer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RB Ja’kevious Vickers to Transfer?

Reaction Score
So the working premise here is he was offered only on a school/family produced Hudl and nobody on staff saw him on a field in Texas in person?
wasn't he a last minute offer? I wouldn't be surprised if no one saw him. we were his only offer

Reaction Score
It’s still a talent rich school/league and there had to be plenty of other film on him other than that Hudl. He was a December commit after a Storrs visit.

Any thing is possible w/ previous staff but...
I'm sure there were other films but nothing would surprise me anymore. Like I said, there are other possibilities. It clearly looks sped up though, whether that was intentional or there was an issue when uploading it.

Reaction Score
It’s still a talent rich school/league and there had to be plenty of other film on him other than that Hudl. He was a December commit after a Storrs visit.

Any thing is possible w/ previous staff but...
I agree with your point. But we reached a point this year where Newsome, and Hopkins were both hurt and this kid could not get a whiff. I mean it's hard to fathom why this kid couldn't get some game reps.

Reaction Score
He was in Edsall’s doghouse all year due to his practice habits.

“[He won’t play] this week,” Edsall said adamantly. “No [he’s not injured]. It’s called ‘head coach’s decision.’ Well, you know what it is? It’s not a head coach’s decision, it’s a player’s decision. You watch players work and watch players practice. Both these guys were on the scout team. He [O’Reilly] didn’t become eligible until Friday of last week, but what I saw and the effort that guys were giving down on the scout team, if I’m going to move somebody up, I’m going to move the guy up that I think has been busting his butt and giving the effort and doing the things you need to do. Whereas, if another guy is down there just going through the motions and not pushing himself? In the NFL, if a guy comes in on the practice squad, he doesn’t get it done and isn’t working hard, guess what? He gets cut and you bring in another guy. I can’t do that, sometimes I wish I could. I wish there was a waiver wire, but you can’t do that. If I’m true to the team and I’m true to the word that I tell those guys, the guys who work the hardest, I don’t care, freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, scholarship or non-scholarship, if I stand up in front of them, say things to them and then I don’t follow through, then I don’t do right by those kids. He’s earned that right to be up over the other guy.”

PRESS CONF NOTES: Senior Day, Jamar Summers Discipline, Injury News & More | This is UConn Country

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just rewatched his senior hudl tape. Back then he claimed 4.33 speed.

Must have been for 35 yards. Honestly, some of the stuff on those sites is pure fiction.............or fantacy.

Reaction Score
can't say it wasn't expected. We really need another back on the roster. Grad transfer or new recruit.

You’re 100% right... brain lock on my part. (So nobody saw him play on a field in Texas OR Florida? ;)).

I remember one of the coaches commenting about him at signing day. The word amoung Southeast Florida high school coaches was that Vickers was a sleeper and one of the best backs they faced. I also remember UCONN players saying he had some hops and that long run he had in the Spring game two years ago. Like most, I had higher expectations. I wish the kid well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed. We're paper thin there. What do we have now, two scholarship backs with him transferring and Newsome and Thompson graduating? Also no RB commits as of yet...

I hope we can sign a big fast back like AJ Dillon of BC. 6:00 240 with moves and quickness. Hopefully Hopkins can get stronger and put on a few pounds without effecting his speed. We need a ground and pound type of back to help Red Zone scoring.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My point exactly. That speaks to laziness more than anything else.
I remember Edsall saying something about it late in the season...

Here it is:
"O’Reilly is ahead of Ja'Kevious Vickers, a redshirt freshman scholarship player from Belle Glade, Fla. “You watch players work and watch them practice. I don't care -- freshman, sophomore, junior or senior, scholarship or non-scholarship,” Edsall said, noting that O’Reilly tried out for the team before the season and wasn’t eligible to play until last week. … "

Says more about Vickers than it does O'Reilly.

Reaction Score
I remember Edsall saying something about it late in the season...

Here it is:
"O’Reilly is ahead of Ja'Kevious Vickers, a redshirt freshman scholarship player from Belle Glade, Fla. “You watch players work and watch them practice. I don't care -- freshman, sophomore, junior or senior, scholarship or non-scholarship,” Edsall said, noting that O’Reilly tried out for the team before the season and wasn’t eligible to play until last week. … "

Says more about Vickers than it does O'Reilly.

it also says he's a kid and still maturing.. Wish him nothing but the best... he's seen the blueprint... Now's his time to adjust grow and push forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom