Rayah Marshall (UConn lean?) | The Boneyard

Rayah Marshall (UConn lean?)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Any update on her recruitment?
Nothing official but I would suspect when Saylor committed her chances with UCONN went down. They are very similar players. I also didn't like what I say in her last video- see was definitely playing down to the competition and coasting at times.

Reaction Score
I believe that is one of the problems involved when you are recruiting the "cream of the crop." Any player worth their salt is going to want as much playing time as possible and to furthur aggravate the situation the players Uconn recruits are not bench players or even "first one off the bench." When they see one player recruited to their position the immediate thought is probably, "I can beat her." When two or three players sign on I'm sure a warning bell goes off and if there is a coach whispering in their ear that they will not only play immediately but are seen as impact players, their eyes probably get a little bigger. I am not privy to Geno or his staff but I somehow don't think they recruit that way.

Reaction Score
“Come to our school and we will build the program around you”. “ You don’t want to be part of a legendary tradition and hang your name/number in the rafters amongst the greats, you want to be on a team that might could possibly maybe on a good day when we play our A+ game and the refs help out and part of their team misses the bus and the starting point guard has the flu, we just might beat them”
Signed
Coach I.B Beggin

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
“Come to our school and we will build the program around you”. “ You don’t want to be part of a legendary tradition and hang your name/number in the rafters amongst the greats, you want to be on a team that might could possibly maybe on a good day when we play our A+ game and the refs help out and part of their team misses the bus and the starting point guard has the flu, we just might beat them”
Signed
Coach I.B Beggin
Hey I think that's the coach of the team whose AD is highly nervous fellow, worried if his sports will ever make it to the NCAA Final Four-Willie Makeit and whose Chancellor is Betty Wont...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Signed
Coach I.B Beggin
I do not think that it is possible anymore for one great player to carry a team close to a national championship on her back, Even in the past, only D did it. Griner couldn't do it even with a very good guard.

There is way too much talent coming out of high school that are filling up the top tier of teams. And there are too many top players off comparable talent.

All the top teams have excellent players in every position- and strong players coming off the bench.

That is what has hurt UConn over the last few years is the lack of real centers and power forwards. That has caused players to play out of position- forwards against centers and wings and even guards against power forwards.

That situation is being rectified in the incoming classes of recruits..

Reaction Score
I do not think that it is possible anymore for one great player to carry a team close to a national championship on her back, Even in the past, only D did it. Griner couldn't do it even with a very good guard.

There is way too much talent coming out of high school that are filling up the top tier of teams. And there are too many top players off comparable talent.

All the top teams have excellent players in every position- and strong players coming off the bench.

That is what has hurt UConn over the last few years is the lack of real centers and power forwards. That has caused players to play out of position- forwards against centers and wings and even guards against power forwards.

I totally agree and to add on it's also a circumstance of flexibility to give an opponent a different look with in a game. As I was watching the 11 NC games and thinking back on different teams, UConn was also particularly deadly when they could easily move between a big girl line up and a small ball press line up at will. We've been one dimensional in my opinion the last few years.....

Reaction Score

How come they were able to use 3 6'2" front court players? You know there were games where they were outsized.

Reaction Score

I think you have a point there, the reason for no NC the past 2 years (2018, 2019) was lack of quality depth. There appeared to be a tendency for younger players to take a back seat to a few older players. This past season it was the Meg & CD show and the other players deferring to them. The previous season it was the Pheese and Lou show and even Meg was submissive to that. That’s on Geno and I think mm figured out that was his Achilles heel. His “not being able to trust younger players” resulted in a short bench. It certainly was the difference in the 2019 semi.

Reaction Score
How come they were able to use 3 6'2" front court players? You know there were games where they were outsized.
??Have followed UConn for many years and don't recognize the team that you refer to.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think you have a point there, the reason for no NC the past 2 years (2018, 2019) was lack of quality depth. There appeared to be a tendency for younger players to take a back seat to a few older players. This past season it was the Meg & CD show and the other players deferring to them. The previous season it was the Pheese and Lou show and even Meg was submissive to that. That’s on Geno and I think mm figured out that was his Achilles heel. His “not being able to trust younger players” resulted in a short bench. It certainly was the difference in the 2019 semi.
Wait a minute, if you want to talk about a short bench, ND was very short, 5 players. The difference was the ability of the players on the court to hit key shots at that key time. We were in all of the games and Morgan William played the game of her life to beat us. Soniya Chong had a major brain cramp as a senior with what she did to give Morgan the chance to win it. It happens. Same with Arike making the shot she made. Against great teams, you want all 5 of your starters to step up and frankly that did not happen for UConn. Why, how or what are sort of irrelevant-would a freshman Crystal Dangerfield helped? Maybe she could have against William but she didn't earn the playing time-is that on Geno/CD or is it on Crystal Dangerfield? We shall see with this incoming class.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
How many NC's has UConn won without a superstar? Taurasi 3, Moore 2, Stewart 4. That's 9 of 11.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We were in all of the games and Morgan William played the game of her life to beat us.

Don't want to sidetrack the thread that really isn't geared to any subject anyway, but William was 6-17 for 13 points and 6 assists in that game. UConn really beat themselves with turnovers, missed free throws, and poor rebounding against a bigger team.

Reaction Score
DefenseBB, all I know is Saniya saw a lane to the hole that was bigger than Delaware. The elevator doors were not totally closed in the paint, and someone (William) got through to disrupt/defend the drive. Yeah, she should have tried the called play or at least took more time off the clock. She was a senior and she tried to make a play. That I remember, not the missed shot.

Reaction Score
Don't want to sidetrack the thread that really isn't geared to any subject anyway, but William was 6-17 for 13 points and 6 assists in that game. UConn really beat themselves with turnovers, missed free throws, and poor rebounding against a bigger team.
Tempo is where she helped.

Reaction Score
DefenseBB, all I know is Saniya saw a lane to the hole that was bigger than Delaware. The elevator doors were not totally closed in the paint, and someone (William) got through to disrupt/defend the drive. Yeah, she should have tried the called play or at least took more time off the clock. She was a senior and she tried to make a play. That I remember, not the missed shot.
Airball at 10'. She should have ran the play. They all lost the game not that one play.

Reaction Score
How many NC's has UConn won without a superstar? Taurasi 3, Moore 2, Stewart 4. That's 9 of 11.
Lobo was the super star of her time...so 10/11. That 2000 team was just stacked and not sure there was a superstar.

Reaction Score
Lobo was the super star of her time...so 10/11. That 2000 team was just stacked and not sure there was a superstar.
But not in the Class of the other 3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom