Ray Reid's status | The Boneyard

Ray Reid's status

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the deal with Ray Reid's contract going forward? There was some talk on here about the team under performing and that the poor finish this year would place him squarely on the hot seat. I believe there was also an article in the Daily Campus recommending his ouster. Has there been any comment from the AD or info regarding his future status?

Thanks

Reaction Score
Second time you've asked this question, but the silence speaks volumes. I haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming Ray Reid will still be with UConn until we hear news to the contrary. I'm not a Ray Reid fan, but I think it is fair to say that Reid has never got much love on these boards even when his teams were consistently making the NCAA tournament. He may have been on the hot seat with many posters here, but that is not quite being REALLY on the hot seat. UConn remains one of the top attendance draws in men's soccer. I've said it before, but I suspect he will remain coach until the new soccer facility comes on line. After that, it wouldn't surprise me if he retires.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Second time you've asked this question, but the silence speaks volumes. I haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming Ray Reid will still be with UConn until we hear news to the contrary. I'm not a Ray Reid fan, but I think it is fair to say that Reid has never got much love on these boards even when his teams were consistently making the NCAA tournament. He may have been on the hot seat with many posters here, but that is not quite being REALLY on the hot seat. UConn remains one of the top attendance draws in men's soccer. I've said it before, but I suspect he will remain coach until the new soccer facility comes on line. After that, it wouldn't surprise me if he retires.
Thanks for the reply. I asked the question twice because it was buried at the bottom of the soccer 2017 thread. The end of the season was so unfortunate after a hopeful stretch. I didn’t know if others might have more insight regarding his status.

Reaction Score
UConn has enough on it's plate where I think Reid is pretty safe. They need to hire a women's soccer coach. And the 2 main sports right now, football and men's hoop, are both in a precarious state.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ray still has enough "pull" to be OK (plus he has Geno in his court) but I think that he is gaining on that teetering point
He is well respected among those in the soccer community, not only in college ranks but professionally also.
I tend to think he will be coaching at least one year in the new facility

Reaction Score
If the attendance numbers are good it's hard to argue him being replaced.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm going to be very interested to see how next year's team performs. They were a very young team this year. Next year, with Thiam back for his senior year and with an extra year under the young players' belts, I'm hoping Reid shows us a little more than we saw this year...

Reaction Score
I'm going to be very interested to see how next year's team performs. They were a very young team this year. Next year, with Thiam back for his senior year and with an extra year under the young players' belts, I'm hoping Reid shows us a little more than we saw this year...

Agreed, with this talented young group UConn should be looking at getting back into the NCAA tournament next season, but that sort of thing has been said before. Levene, Coly, and Geres are the only seniors on the team that saw significant playing time. Replacing the goalkeeper can always make for an interesting transition, but the other losses should be manageable considering the bevy of talented players that should be coming back next season.

Reaction Score
UConn has enough on it's plate where I think Reid is pretty safe. They need to hire a women's soccer coach. And the 2 main sports right now, football and men's hoop, are both in a precarious state.

These are good points, and you're probably right. I do note that Reid's salary is wildly high - OK, not high by basketball or football standards, but high by soccer standards - and with UConn looking for cuts to make, the Administration might see a new young and hungry msoc coach as a way to save $150k per year or more.

Reaction Score
These are good points, and you're probably right. I do note that Reid's salary is wildly high - OK, not high by basketball or football standards, but high by soccer standards - and with UConn looking for cuts to make, the Administration might see a new young and hungry msoc coach as a way to save $150k per year or more.

Part of the reason I expect that Reid will be around until the new soccer facility comes on line is because of Reid's involvement with the project, financially or otherwise. I doubt anyone connected with UConn athletics wants to upset that apple cart when the goal of a new soccer stadium is finally in reach.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ray Reid deserves to coach in the new stadium.

He’s done everything but mix the concrete to get it built....and I’m not even sure he won’t be mixing the concrete.

Right is right.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
School can't really afford to fire the guy who has pledged six figures to a stadium that's about to be built.

Reaction Score
School can't really afford to fire the guy who has pledged six figures to a stadium that's about to be built.
This is Reid's brilliance. He pledges $250K and he still nets $100K or so. I'd do it too.

Reaction Score
This is Reid's brilliance. He pledges $250K and he still nets $100K or so. I'd do it too.

I agree. Every underperforming 5th-year assistant professor should take note and call the UConn Foundation to see if something can be arranged.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
So who's replacing Len on the women's side? Anything coming soon?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom