Ranking UConn non-USA Players | The Boneyard

Ranking UConn non-USA Players

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
With UConn seemingly heavily recruiting non USA talent, I’m curious about how people would rate UConn foreign players. This is from memory so I’m
likely forgetting some. This for players with more or less meaningful minutes. My list in order of best first
Abrosimova
Edwards
Juhasz
Nurse
Muhl
Lopez-Senechal - harder to rank and arguably higher
Schumacher
Rigby
Grossman - ancient history
Makurat
There were a few others who hardly played.

Reaction Score
With UConn seemingly heavily recruiting non USA talent, I’m curious about how people would rate UConn foreign players. This is from memory so I’m
likely forgetting some. This for players with more or less meaningful minutes. My list in order of best first
Abrosimova
Edwards
Juhasz
Nurse
Muhl
Lopez-Senechal - harder to rank and arguably higher
Schumacher
Rigby
Grossman - ancient history
Makurat
There were a few others who hardly played.
I might rank Makurat above Big Rig. Anna didn't stay for long, but the year she played we really needed her.
I confess I do not remember Grossman.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Kelly Schumacher was an American citizen who merely lived in Canada for several years before she came to UConn. As I recall, she was born in Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
Kelly Schumacher was an American citizen who merely lived in Canada for several years before she came to UConn. As I recall, she was born in Cincinnati.

True she is an American citizen, but she lived most of her life in Canada before coming to UConn. She is also reportedly a Canadian citizen as well as an American.

Reaction Score
I don't know who the best is but Nika is surely the least appreciated. Dorka to me falls behind AE and Nika and and players from the Svetlana era are hard for me to assess since the level of competition has improved so much since then. With that said I would go.

1. Edwards
2. Muhl
3. Abrosimova
4. Nurse
5. Juhasz

All the others are could be any order.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't know who the best is but Nika is surely the least appreciated. Dorka to me falls behind AE and Nika and and players from the Svetlana era are hard for me to assess since the level of competition has improved so much since then. With that said I would go.

1. Edwards
2. Muhl
3. Abrosimova
4. Nurse
5. Juhasz

All the others are could be any order.
That’s why opinions are interesting. Svetlana had crazy skills. Muhl has a great impact but not in Svetlana’s universe. Of course just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Love Dorka but Kia 3rd maybe second as I’m not that high on Edwards
So a player with this resume is mediocre?
  • 6th player Big East of the year as a freshman
  • 3rd Team All American
  • 2022-2023 season finalist for the Wade trophy
  • Current finalist for the Naismith trophy
  • Consistent double-double player who has continued to improve every season
  • The most durable player out of the 2020 class that was ranked #1 in the country
Seriously? What games are you watching?
Honestly, I don't know.

Where she ranks all time, I don't know because my knowledge of UConn isn't as vast as others on this board. But come on, she's done a heck of a lot during her time here.

Reaction Score
That’s why opinions are interesting. Svetlana had crazy skills. Muhl has a great impact but not in Svetlana’s universe. Of course just my opinion.
I love Nika but she’s not in the same conversation with Svetlana Who imo would be at the top of the list! I would probably put Aaliyah next, then Lou, Kia, Nika, Dorka….. (some will downgrade Lou because of the shortness of her contribution but I ….would not!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I love Nika but she’s not in the same conversation with Svetlana Who imo would be at the top of the list! I would probably put Aaliyah next, then Lou, Kia, Nika, Dorka….. (some will downgrade Lou because of the shortness of her contribution but I ….would not!
Why i said Lou is in my viewx the hardest to place No real argument with any view

Reaction Score
Maybe, but Lou was the key to the entire offense last year.

Sveta was a 3x All-American. She has to be #1.
Key to an offense that ended UConn’s Final Four run. Don’t get me wrong; Lou was wonderful, but Kia was an invaluable member of the team for four years.
I would put her second on the list, with Edwards third, Nika fourth, Dorka fifth and Lou sixth. All one has to do is look at this year’s team to see how valuable Dorka was.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Key to an offense that ended UConn’s Final Four run. Don’t get me wrong; Lou was wonderful, but Kia was an invaluable member of the team for four years.
I would put her second on the list, with Edwards third, Nika fourth, Dorka fifth and Lou sixth. All one has to do is look at this year’s team to see how valuable Dorka was.

We didn't lose to Ohio State because of Lou. She was our best player in that game.

Given all the injuries, I thought Lou was our key player last year, except maybe Liya. Lou was the player all the opposing teams game-planned for and tried to beat up.

Kia's highlight was being NDPOY. Liya was 3rd team All-American.

I'm not questioning Dorka's value. I just put some others ahead of her.

Reaction Score
We didn't lose to Ohio State because of Lou. She was our best player in that game.

Given all the injuries, I thought Lou was our key player last year, except maybe Liya. Lou was the player all the opposing teams game-planned for and tried to beat up.

Kia's highlight was being NDPOY. Liya was 3rd team All-American.

I'm not questioning Dorka's value. I just put some others ahead of her.
I have no problem with your logic. I just feel that is difficult to rate a one-year player ahead of others. I could see flipping Lou and Dorka, but ranking either of them ahead of someone who could be our career assists leader doesn’t seem to make sense.

Reaction Score
No matters the top 10, Svetlana Abrosimova is way ahead every others
I agree. I can't imagine putting anyone else in front of Svet. She's not on UConn's Mt. Rushmore but she's real high up in the foothills. How about we say Svet is #1 and everyone else is tied for #2?

OK, stirring up semi-dead brain cells here, but I think at one point in time Svet held the UConn record for the fastest player to reach 500 points in her freshman year. I imagine, if no one else, Paige broke that record.

Reaction Score
I agree. I can't imagine putting anyone else in front of Svet. She's not on UConn's Mt. Rushmore but she's real high up in the foothills. How about we say Svet is #1 and everyone else is tied for #2?

OK, stirring up semi-dead brain cells here, but I think at one point in time Svet held the UConn record for the fastest player to reach 500 points in her freshman year. I imagine, if no one else, Paige broke that record.

She’s also on the wall, correct?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have no problem with your logic. I just feel that is difficult to rate a one-year player ahead of others. I could see flipping Lou and Dorka, but ranking either of them ahead of someone who could be our career assists leader doesn’t seem to make sense.

I agree with the challenge of comparing a 4-year player with a 1-year or 2-year player.

After the season, I might move Nika up. She's not there yet. If she is the NDPOY, that matches Kia. If she passes Mo's assist record, that factors in too.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I might rank Makurat above Big Rig. Anna didn't stay for long, but the year she played we really needed her.
I confess I do not remember Grossman.
Grossman is Israeli and played with Bascomb when UConn first made the FF. Decent contributor. .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom