Randy Edsall will get UConn to a bowl game — this year (The Comeback) | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall will get UConn to a bowl game — this year (The Comeback)

Reaction Score
Not impossible - the AAC is seems like its going to have a down year.

Reaction Score
Well, I hope it happens. But if I'm honest, I don't expect it.

The 2 most important people in the program this year might be Grimes and the QB. Both are complete unknowns at this point.

Grimes is far from an unknown. If I am not mistaken I read somewhere that more than 50 lineman coached by him have played in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Don't measure last year on the record only. The last three games were managed by a inept oc an inexperienced qb. The scores were not representative. In addition the team seems to have quit. That said I can see a 500 team this season

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
While I expect to take a major step forward this year, I don't know if that will necessarily translate to many more wins. Part of my reluctance to think about anything more than 5 wins is that I'm not sure any teams in the AAC are going backwards. Who is the AAC will regress in 2017? Temple with a new coach and qb and so many players lost to the draft? Houston maybe w/o Herman? After that, I don't know who is going to take our place at the bottom of the conf.

Reaction Score
Grimes is far from an unknown. If I am not mistaken I read somewhere that more than 50 lineman coached by him have played in the NFL.

Auburn's Greg Robinson has one-of-a-kind skill set, coach says

"J.B. Grimes has been an offensive line coach for more than 30 years, but he has special praise for Auburn left tackle Greg Robinson.

"I've not had one like him," Grimes said. "I've had some really, really good players, probably coached somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 guys that have gone on to either play in the NFL or at least gotten into camps, but I've never had one with the skill set he has got."

Reaction Score
Thee's no reason why we shouldn't go to a bowl. There are so many today that it's almost impossible for a decent team to not go.

Reaction Score

I should rephrase that. What's unknown is whether or not Grimes can do anything with this group or if there really is a talent issue there. I know we like to blame everything on the coaching while absolving the players but that's not always the reality. FWIW I have some faith in Grimes that he can get the line to play much better than we've seen the last few years. But I'm a show me type of guy.

Reaction Score
If somebody, anybody can teach these guys how to block and I'm not just talking about the linemen but also the RB's, TE's and WR's you should see more sustained drives, keeping UConn's D off the field for longer periods thus fresher legs in the latter half of the game. If that happens and the kicking game improves 6 wins or better "should" be possible. Returning punts and kickoffs would be a pleasant surprise also.

Reaction Score
They will be markedly better than anything we've seen in a long while and they will get better as the season progresses.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The new offense will minimize the offensive line issues. Why? Because the ball will be snapped quickly and the defense will be have to react. That gives the O line a chance. Grimes will do what he can with what he has, but the new offense by design will not look to grind out 80 yard drives in 15 running plays.

Reaction Score
Well, I hope it happens. But if I'm honest, I don't expect it.

The 2 most important people in the program this year might be Grimes and the QB. Both are complete unknowns at this point.
I think some of our freshman redshirts are better than advertised, as well as one true freshman. They will have an impact.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They will be markedly better than anything we've seen in a long while and they will get better as the season progresses.
I agree. A solid game plan and very good defense are the keys. The adults are in charge, and each of them will develop better players.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I should rephrase that. What's unknown is whether or not Grimes can do anything with this group or if there really is a talent issue there. I know we like to blame everything on the coaching while absolving the players but that's not always the reality. FWIW I have some faith in Grimes that he can get the line to play much better than we've seen the last few years. But I'm a show me type of guy.
There is talent. Not enough of it yet (may take a few recruiting cycles to get there), some of it needs another year or more in the weight room and most of it needs a lot more experience.

I'll go on record today predicting that barring significant injury, at least three (Peart, Leone and one of the incoming freshman) will be drafted after their time here is done. Unfortunately, that will be three, four and five years from now.

It likely will take all of this upcoming season to build so e cohesion and consistency in the line (the most important aspects but also what requires the most time to build). Where we can draw some confidence that it can be fixed is with the coaching staff. We once again have a head coach who knows what this school needs to do to properly fill a roster with offensive lineman. Unlike P and D, Edsall will bring in four to five kids with potential to be built up (realizing we won't bit on all of them) instead of two or three who are expected to somehow become multi-year starters just because. Additionally, we again have an offensive line coach who is both willing and able to teach kids how to block (as opposed to placing an emphasis on size alone and expecting the kids to be fully skilled the day they set foot on campus).

There are good times ahead for our offensive line. There will however be some growing pains.

Reaction Score
I'll go on record today predicting that barring significant injury, at least three (Peart, Leone and one of the incoming freshman) will be drafted after their time here is done.

Omar Fortt, Tyler Coyle, Kieyon Dixon, and a couple others. Of course it remains to be seen but these kids are talented. What's very nice to see is the three here I mentioned are in state recruits.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Omar Fortt, Tyler Coyle, Kieyon Dixon, and a couple others. Of course it remains to be seen but these kids are talented. What's very nice to see is the three here I mentioned are in state recruits.
I would wager heavily that none of the three you mentioned would have a shot at starting, much less put themselves in position to be drafted by an NFL team if moved to the offensive line. They just don't have the size.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom