Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season

Reaction Score
Of the UConn assistant coaches, Lou Spanos, the defensive coordinator, would be the least objectionable as an interim head coach. But I am skeptical he would have much better chances at winning this season than Randy. Looks like Dave Benedict does not want to go down that path anyway.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
This is the best way to end it for a few reasons:

1. There is no internal candidate who could/should have a shot at the job.
2. This shifts the fan and player focus to the future.
3. UCONN has time to find THE RIGHT person to lead the team. That is a process that involves securing the financial support to have a successful program.
4. We owe Randy the respect of a retirement. He built the program for good and ill - and there is a lot of good (not recently).

Good move. I'm slightly more optimistic today than yesterday. Let's go.

Reaction Score
Whom UConn hires will be important. The players get a vote too. If they see no future with the new guy they will head for the portal. I would suggest player representation on the search committee. Three seniors or the Captains. That would be a stunner wouldn't it?

Reaction Score
Especially since the vultures are probably already contacting our recruits. And there is not going to be a new coach named before the signing period to combat it.
Benedict is not an idiot. He is going to try to keep this team together along with the recruiting. He is a football guy. If he can, I will bet he is calling recruits himself to assure them that the school will be searching for a new coach starting tomorrow. What I’m not sure of is can he under the rules call recruits himself. Anyone know the answer to that? I know Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin as the AD did that regularly but I think I recall he had his wrist slapped.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Worse case scenario is UConn’s last game is November 27th — NCAA D1 early signing period starts December 15th.

I see no reason why a new coach couldn’t be named before the final game either. It’s a “retirement”, not a termination.

if the new coach and their current team is in the playoffs or a bowl game, we will have to wait. FCS playoff is in January.

Reaction Score
This whole thread is hysterical.

1. I assumed Randy had retired in 2017 when he took the UCONN job. Sure seemed like it.
2. What coach in his right mind would take on this dumpster fire? Talk about career suicide.
3. Why does UCONN still have a football team?

Reaction Score
It's possible, but if we're looking at current head coaches whose teams are doing well near the end of the season wouldn't we be prohibited from "tampering" with other schools' employees?

My hope is we go after a successful young head coach (who knows what's entailed in running a program), not a coordinator or someone near retirement. Reasons? Pasqualoni and Diaco. One was out of touch with modern football and the other was simply out of it.

Jim Fleming :D

Reaction Score
isn't that part of the problem? that UConn admissions won't let them in for the most part?

You also have to be really careful with the JUCO kids. One of Kansas' biggest issues historically is that they've taken a bunch of JUCO kids and as soon as a coach gets fired or a class goes bad, they have like half a roster
True but Kansas State has had success. They must have connections to these Jucos.

Reaction Score
Worse case scenario is UConn’s last game is November 27th — NCAA D1 early signing period starts December 15th.

I see no reason why a new coach couldn’t be named before the final game either. It’s a “retirement”, not a termination.
You forgot about the bowl invitation when they turn this ship around

Reaction Score
In order to get to any kind of competant team you need some blue chippers that would take a risk to come here. Additionally how long do you pour money inro a program that’s on life support?

Reaction Score
In order to get to any kind of competant team you need some blue chippers that would take a risk to come here. Additionally how long do you pour money inro a program that’s on life support?
And your eleven scholarship team lost almost $4M. Your not getting the extra money.

Reaction Score
how many of these kids did you think were going to stick around after watching us go 0-12, anyway?
I doubt that many other schools are going to engage in a bidding war for UConn's football players. The new coach will have an entrenched roster of well-rested, weight-lifting Huskies awaiting him or her.

Reaction Score
think about it ... David Benedict ain't waiting until after Bowls or FCS. That is not his personality nor is it the smart thing to do. I agree with the chat of NO MAC or AAC or MWC or hot sunbelt HC is coming ... while thinking he might be a P5 candidate.

Reaction Score
This whole thread is hysterical.

1. I assumed Randy had retired in 2017 when he took the UCONN job. Sure seemed like it.
2. What coach in his right mind would take on this dumpster fire? Talk about career suicide.
3. Why does UCONN still have a football team?
Wow are you sure your a UConn football fan. A right person for the Head Coach would be okay with taking UConn job. Yeah most think it’s a sinking . I see a return on UConn football being independent. It’s not a bad place for a up and coming coach to come a revive the program.

Reaction Score
You've had some great posts the past few days, but I'm just going to go with the tape. It doesn't have to be the players or the coach. It can be both, the coach and the players the coach brought in.

A defense that can't stop the run or pass, can't tackle, catch up to or cover people. That cannot stop an fcs offense. That can create their own blooper reels on a weekly basis

An offensive line that can't move an fcs defense off the line of scrimmage. WR's that can't create separation except for the occasional broken coverage. And I won't even mention the QB situation

The only standout recruiting class he brought in - and that's relative- is the one that hasn't arrived yet.

What evidence is there that this roster is better, I won't even ask much better, than when he started?
“Can’t tackle, can’t cover anyone…” Do you know how many snaps occurred in that game? Why do “arm chair QB’s” feel that LB’s and DB’s have to make EVERY PLAY and make EVERY TACKLE??? Do you even watch football? Pick any QB in college or pros and ask yourself how many td’s have they thrown? And then ask yourself who caught those passes then ask yourself how many times those TD passes were on DB’s. Sheesh.

Then watch how many tackles your favorite RB breaks every Sunday. It’s not as easy as you think it is and no player makes every play that comes their way.

Take your emotions out of your analysis and just try and understand football please

Reaction Score
“Can’t tackle, can’t cover anyone…” Do you know how many snaps occurred in that game? Why do “arm chair QB’s” feel that LB’s and DB’s have to make EVERY PLAY and make EVERY TACKLE??? Do you even watch football? Pick any QB in college or pros and ask yourself how many td’s have they thrown? And then ask yourself who caught those passes then ask yourself how many times those TD passes were on DB’s. Sheesh.

Then watch how many tackles your favorite RB breaks every Sunday. It’s not as easy as you think it is and no player makes every play that comes their way.

Take your emotions out of your analysis and just try and understand football please

Lol I watch and actually played it.

Most people are not simpletons and understand what I am saying. Then there's you.

Reaction Score
I want. To be forced into early retirement. Prime example.

Reaction Score
Brilliant move by Edsall. It makes it harder for DB to fire him before the end of the season if he announced he is stepping down. Now we have to keep an out-of-touch dinosaur as Head Coach for the rest of the season when literally anyone else in charge would be an improvement over what has happened the first 2 games.
People dunked on nelson for this, but it does potentially look like this was the plan now, doesn't it, if that well-placed source is correct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom