Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season

Reaction Score
I can't tell if this was a retire or get fired move by Benedict or if Edsall got ahead of his eventual mid-season canning by announcing this.

The optimist in me hopes that HC was a wakeup call and RE realized he isn't the guy for the job.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is playing UConn football god. He knows he built this program from the ground up, now it’s his choice to stick around and make sure to destroy as much of it as possible. If he had any dignity he’d walk away today. This is his ego at its finest.
He just can't stand to know if anyone else on his staff could win a game without him. A glass ceiling to the end.

In any event, not the worst outcome although I dread him trotting Jack Zergiotis out next week.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is playing UConn football god. He knows he built this program from the ground up, now it’s his choice to stick around and make sure to destroy as much of it as possible. If he had any dignity he’d walk away today. This is his ego at its finest.
There is no choice, Benedict fired him and this is the way Benedict wants it to play out.

Reaction Score
I can't tell if this was a retire or get fired move by Benedict or if Edsall got ahead of his eventual mid-season canning by announcing this.

The optimist in me hopes that HC was a wakeup call and RE realized he isn't the guy for the job.
This was 100% driven by Dave. Whether he dropped as big of a hint this morning as he possibly could that Randy would get fired or outright told him, Randy didn't wake up this morning and decide to retire on his own.

Reaction Score
The next question that will need to be asked is if we plan on actually spending money on a good coach and staff of coordinators. If the coaching search doesn't produce more attractive candidates than the last 3 we will be back to the same situation in 4 years.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

How can he really come to any conclusion after yesterday other than he can no longer get the job done. I mean after all this over 4 years, the credibility inside that lock room is over and so even old Randy himself has to recognize it’s not working and moreover he doesn’t have the answers. It’s the end, he’s out of ideas to make this work.

Reaction Score
This was 100% driven by Dave. Whether he dropped as big of a hint this morning as he possibly could that Randy would get fired or outright told him, Randy didn't wake up this morning and decide to retire on his own.
If this is AD David Benedict, I don't care to see complaints about him. He's had a few bumps in the road here but he's an elite AD.

Reaction Score
If this is AD David Benedict, I don't care to see complaints about him. He's had a few bumps in the road here but he's an elite AD.

Moving on from a coach who has failed this badly and doesn't even have a buyout isn't exactly a tough decision.

I think his hands were tied last coaching search so I don't blame him too much for Edsall, but finding the right coach now is where he proves himself.

Reaction Score
Since there is no one on the current staff worth auditioning for the job this is the best case scenario all around.

You are probably right, however I would be somewhat interested to see Spanos take the reigns. Do I think the results would be different? Probably not but you don't know until you try.

I would expect Spanos to change offensive coordinators.

Reaction Score
No coach wants to be a lame duck. He was fired, and allowed to do it this way. And this is the right outcome. Putting aside what HCRE has or hasn't earned, if Benedict thought the team would be improved this year by making someone on the staff an interim he would have done so. Given the staff, believing that a smooth transition is the way to go is fine.

The key is that the announcement not only tells fans there will be a new coach next year, it allows DB to start looking for his next coach today. But it's not like he can bring in anyone who isn't currently unemployed until November anyway.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
50/50 on this.

Unless you have a candidate 100% in your back pocket hirable right now, an EOY switch is probably best.
Waiting until EOY opens up the talent pool significantly, but also elongates your recruits twisting in wind.

As long as a good hire is on the other end of this, it's generally a good thing, but...........

Reaction Score
I agree. His only true misstep thus far was hiring Randy but even then his hands were tied by lack of $.
eh not totally true. I think he's a good AD and is doing a good job here. We can do a lot, lot worse. I'd rather have him hire the new coach than someone else

that being said, there have been a few missteps. He extended Ollie, even if the contract was technically already drawn up by Warde. He extended Diaco. He hired Randy even if his hands might have been tied there.

He's not infallible but no one is. But we can stop with the hyperbole calling him "elite"

He's good at his job, hopefully he makes a good hire and has the resources to put something good together.

Reaction Score
You are probably right, however I would be somewhat interested to see Spanos take the reigns. Do I think the results would be different, probably not, but you don't know until you try.

I wouldn't have a problem if they made that choice either.

Reaction Score
No coach wants to be a lame duck. He was fired, and allowed to do it this way. And this is the right outcome. Putting aside what HCRE has or hasn't earned, if Benedict thought the team would be improved this year by making someone on the staff an interim he would have done so. Given the staff, believing that a smooth transition is the way to go is fine.

The key is that the announcement not only tells fans there will be a new coach next year, it allows DB to start looking for his next coach today. But it's not like he can bring in anyone who isn't currently unemployed until November anyway.
yes the reality is that no one else is qualified to run the team for the rest of the year and as bad as it is, I bet it could be get worse.

Reaction Score
The rest of the season will be absolute torture as we watch recruits bail and losses pile up. Edsall needs to just step aside. Pick an interim coach and move forward. The team need different leadership now……not at the end of the season

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I can only hope this is a smoke screen and was actually writing this from a plane headed for Maryland...or anywhere but here.

Reaction Score
The rest of the season will be absolute torture as we watch recruits bail and losses pile up. Edsall needs to just step aside. Pick an interim coach and move forward. The team need different leadership now……not at the end of the season
those things are going to happen anyway. At least this way we can keep the managerial stuff in check

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

There is no one on the staff to take over. At least Randy can try to hold his creation together for the next guy if he is so inclined. I also suspect you will see a bunch of the old guys stopping in to say goodbye. That might be worth something to the current team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom