Randy Edsall Says UConn Culture Needs Overhaul (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall Says UConn Culture Needs Overhaul (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
Read it in another report yesterday but the piece about the text from a former player is neat to see.

Randy Edsall Says UConn Culture Needs Overhaul

>>...Edsall turned to a text message he received Sunday from a player who graduated in 2008 in an effort to show what, exactly, he’s working on.

“Stress your vision until they start to live by it,” Edsall said, reading the text. “That’s what you did for us, and it became a reality. Everyone’s vision of greatness is different. Continue to sell yours with passion, and it will become the culture again.”<<

>>“What’s happened is, the culture is totally different than when I left here,” Edsall said. “There are plenty of people who want to come here and be part of what we’re going to be doing and the success we’re going to achieve. It’s just that you’ve got to find the right people. When I say this, guys, please, I’m not knocking anybody, but it’s all about recruiting. I have a certain person that I look for in terms of recruiting. Those are the kinds of guys that will thrive in this program.”<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“We don’t have that culture that we had before. That’s what we have to get back. There’s progress, but it ain’t quick enough for me. We’ll just keep working at it.”

Reaction Score
So this means mass exodus of players? We clearly have a lot of players who should be playing at lower level programs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So this means mass exodus of players? We clearly have a lot of players who should be playing at lower level program.

Probably not a mass exodus. You can only bring in 25 new players on scholarship a year. More that it will take time for his players to not only get here but become better football players over a few year period.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's not satisfied, and he shouldn't be. I think he's signaling that he wants players who are also not satisfied. Who don't think it's ok to beat a few AAC team. Guys who will put in the work to become something more. Let's hope he can find them.

Reaction Score
Can't keep recruiting guys whose offers are coming from Stony Brook, Albany and William and Mary.

That would be great, but I think you are largely missing his point. William Beatty's best other offer to play football was at Slippery Rock. Edsall -- like anyone -- would love to have a roster full of studs that everyone else in our region wanted. Guess what -- that isn't going to happen with Rutgers in the Big Ten, WVU in the Big XII and BC, Pitt and Syracuse in the ACC. You can hold your breath and complain all you want, but it's not going to happen. Edsall is talking about getting kids who schools with recruiting advantages for the most part don't want who he has identified as having the potential to be players who could succeed at our peer eastern institutions.

Yes, we all know that wasn't enough for you the first time around, but for those who want to reach rational levels of success that would be a major victory.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Probably not a mass exodus. You can only bring in 25 new players on scholarship a year. More that it will take time for his players to not only get here but become better football players over a few year period.

I think the 25 new player cap is on the multi year average, so to the extent you took less the prior year you can take more the following year. I believe you can also take kids in the spring and count them towards the following year (2019 in this case) limit.

I think the staff in looking to take as many as 30 kids this year when you combine the usual Dec/Feb 1st NLI kids and the late spring kids.

The challenge will be in pushing out approx 10 kids ahead of graduation to make room for 30.

Reaction Score
I think the 25 new player cap is on the multi year average, so to the extent you took less the prior year you can take more the following year. I believe you can also take kids in the spring and count them towards the following year (2019 in this case) limit.

I think the staff in looking to take as many as 30 kids this year when you combine the usual Dec/Feb 1st NLI kids and the late spring kids.

The challenge will be in pushing out approx 10 kids ahead of graduation to make room for 30.

You can only have 25 kids in a class. You can play around somewhat by moving them up (by getting them here for spring) or down (by grayshirting them) a class, bu the 25 is not an average -- it is a real limit.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You can only have 25 kids in a class. You can play around somewhat by moving them up (by getting them here for spring) or down (by grayshirting them) a class, bu the 25 is not an average -- it is a real limit.

But since you can enroll kids early to take advantage of using less than 25 slots the prior year, this effectively makes an average situation with certain albeit rather limiting qualifiers.

Some decent explanation here:
How years of planning set up Signing Day
Football Recruiting: What is a Blueshirt?

I could see us attempting to blue shirt Ragaini.

This team needs effectively 25-30 new faces - however they do it, in the current cycle.

Btw, the hidden benefit of PWOs is that they don't count towards the 25 space annual cap.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Some of the young guys playing on the D will be backups in a couple years.

Reaction Score
Haha

Right Kind of Guy redux
Difference is there's good reason to trust that Randy's version of RKG is a player who'll elevate the program. Diaco's RKG was either Batman dressed in a clown suit or a player with offers from Central, Wagner, and UNH.

Reaction Score
Can't keep recruiting guys whose offers are coming from Stony Brook, Albany and William and Mary.

On the face of it ... this is silly.

Case in Point: Liam M of Schenectady, NY
Kid had UAlbany and UConn listed as Offers

6-8 275 and athletic. Do you know anything about Holy Trinity/Bishop Gibbons Football and Albany regional? You don't ...I do. It's a place Liam dominates. It's not bad football ... it's just lots of programs that aren't 12 month deals and lots less prototype size.

Like Will Beatty, Zach Hurd, Moe Petrus, Donald Thomas, etc ... there's High level Talent.

Year after year, the Touchdown Husky guy's make this kind of ill informed pose. It's not near the truth. WE can do well with the recruiting footprint we have. WE do need far better speed. That's the FL/GA component.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
On the face of it ... this is silly.

For every 1 who succeeds and is a diamond, there's 10 who don't. Its like anything else in life.

Reaction Score
For every 1 who succeeds and is a diamond, there's 10 who don't. Its like anything else in life.

If there is one thing that Edsall excels at, it is finding under recruited offensive lineman and projecting them correctly as guys who will become good college players.

It has done it way too often for it to be coincidence. The list is long.

Reaction Score
That would be great, but I think you are largely missing his point. William Beatty's best other offer to play football was at Slippery Rock. Edsall -- like anyone -- would love to have a roster full of studs that everyone else in our region wanted. Guess what -- that isn't going to happen with Rutgers in the Big Ten, WVU in the Big XII and BC, Pitt and Syracuse in the ACC. You can hold your breath and complain all you want, but it's not going to happen. Edsall is talking about getting kids who schools with recruiting advantages for the most part don't want who he has identified as having the potential to be players who could succeed at our peer eastern institutions.

Yes, we all know that wasn't enough for you the first time around, but for those who want to reach rational levels of success that would be a major victory.
We really couldn't out recruit those schools when we were on equal footing conference wise. To expect it now is insane. Someone said building a roster where we could beat the likes of Indiana and Illinois. That would be progress from where Diaco left us.

Reaction Score

There this a reason P5 programs and many of the top programs in the AAC don't recruit kids whose only other offers are Stony Brook, Albany, William and Mary, et al. It's because they can recuit better players.

There's a reason Stony Brook, Albany and William and Mary roosters look the way they do. It's because those are the best players they can get. It also means they could never compete successfully against the bigger schools.

UConn is far closer to Stony Brook and company than P5 & top AAC. So mention all the William Beatty's you care to, as for me I want kids who are at least good enough to attract offers from P5 and top AAC programs. I liked the days when Jordan Todman picked a UConn over Penn State.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We really couldn't out recruit those schools when we were on equal footing conference wise. To expect it now is insane. Someone said building a roster where we could beat the likes of Indiana and Illinois. That would be progress from where Diaco left us.

I agree. But to beat the likes of Indiana and Illnois, UConn will need to accumulate players much better than those currently on the roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom