Randy Edsall Says UConn Culture Needs Overhaul (Mike Anthony) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall Says UConn Culture Needs Overhaul (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
For every 1 who succeeds and is a diamond, there's 10 who don't. Its like anything else in life.

Makes perfect sense. For the record, I believe RE will provide an uptick in recruiting, but the recruiting pool has got to be better than the pools that PP & Bobby-Boy D trolled in.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There this a reason P5 programs and many of the top programs in the AAC don't recruit kids whose only other offers are Stony Brook, Albany, William and Mary, et al. It's because they can recuit better players.

There's a reason Stony Brook, Albany and William and Mary roosters look the way they do. It's because those are the best players they can get. It also means they could never compete successfully against the bigger schools.

UConn is far closer to Stony Brook and company than P5 & top AAC. So mention all the William Beatty's you care to, as for me I want kids who are at least good enough to attract offers from P5 and top AAC programs. I liked the days when Jordan Todman picked a UConn over Penn State.

For the record, Todman never had an offer from Penn State. His four offers were UConn, BC, Purdue, and Northeastern. (Obviously that included two other "P5" offers, so the point still stands).

According to Rivals, he was a 2-star recruit (5.4 RR). But that's what Edsall is famous for; finding the right high 2-star and 3-star athletes that can turn into multi-year NFL players. Our last class looks like we have some of those, and our 2018 clad looks like we may have quite a few of those...

Reaction Score
There this a reason P5 programs and many of the top programs in the AAC don't recruit kids whose only other offers are Stony Brook, Albany, William and Mary, et al. It's because they can recuit better players.

There's a reason Stony Brook, Albany and William and Mary roosters look the way they do. It's because those are the best players they can get. It also means they could never compete successfully against the bigger schools.

UConn is far closer to Stony Brook and company than P5 & top AAC. So mention all the William Beatty's you care to, as for me I want kids who are at least good enough to attract offers from P5 and top AAC programs. I liked the days when Jordan Todman picked a UConn over Penn State.

I hope you understand that any post discussing "what you want" as opposed to realistic strategies and objectives is worthless to anyone but you. I want a supermodel to come to my house tonight to do me and my wife to say "can I make the two of you dinner" but I don't see why anyone here would care what I want.

Reaction Score
He knows we need talented underrated players with a chip on their ahoulder and/or winning attitude.

Reaction Score
Lets look at the Class so far this year. Many more early commits after casting a wide net. 16 Commits before HS seasons started. A more direct focus on needs than Diaco. Strong focus on in-state targets early and classic Edsall "come to camp and earn an offer" approach.

Jones - very early in-state, BC offer after commit
Harris - BC, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Mich. Still a UConn commit after enrolling in JC
Kryjewski - Syracuse - from football factory in GA
Lazarus - Purdue, Rutgers
Robinson - early in-state 3-star
Webb - early 3-star highly ranked in PA
Bemiy - 3-star Canada connection
Jones - Rutgers, BC, Syracuse
Rooney - 3-star developing OT/DT many FCS offers
Nyadu - 3-star many CUSA offers, strong Texas program
Morrison - Virginia and military schools
Gillespie - early in-state target
Carrol - trust RE with DBs
Banks - trust RE w/ DBs, early commit cancelled other FBS visits
Jeffreys - QB in HS WR in college. Classic NE athlete
Maurisseau - speed WR, camp offer
Pace - camp offer, reported Duke offer
Maloney - OT project
Niedrowski - OT project

18 Commits, 7 with FBS offers very early in the recruiting year. Robinson, Gillespie, Webb, Banks - early in-state or target commits. Maloney, Nyadu, Rooney and Niedrowski are O-line development projects under the eye of Edsall and Grimes (instead of Diaco and Cummings or Pasqualoni and DeLeone). Carrol, Maurisseau, Bemiy, and Jeffreys are the classic camp offers where coaches see speed and skills first hand.

Reaction Score
I hope you understand that any post discussing "what you want" as opposed to realistic strategies and objectives is worthless to anyone but you. I want a supermodel to come to my house tonight to do me and my wife to say "can I make the two of you dinner" but I don't see why anyone here would care what I want.

Wow, Biz, you have been a little awkward ths season. Your wife must be pleased with this post. Me? I'll settle for better recruiting and ultimately better talent on the field.

Reaction Score
For the record, Todman never had an offer from Penn State. His four offers were UConn, BC, Purdue, and Northeastern. (Obviously that included two other "P5" offers, so the point still stands).

According to Rivals, he was a 2-star recruit (5.4 RR). But that's what Edsall is famous for; finding the right high 2-star and 3-star athletes that can turn into multi-year NFL players. Our last class looks like we have some of those, and our 2018 clad looks like we may have quite a few of those...

Todman had an offer waiting for him at PSU if he made a visit and committed on the spot. They were going to make him a CB. When this news broke he became a 3-star for a couple of days. When he decided to stay at UConn he dropped back to a 2-star. No formal offer, but the story was well known. Todman was not a classic Edsall diamond like Beatty, Reyes, Butler, etc...

Reaction Score

Hey, you never know, the supermodel might be realistic.......your wife cooking dinner afterwards..........not so much.........

Reaction Score
Biz's sexual fantasies aside.

Randy is dead on with the culture. He coached physical teams that competed on every play. If you didn't play that way you did not see the field. It will take a while to get that back. The tackling against Mizou was talent related for sure, but my goodness, we tackle and block like we don't want to hurt someone's feelings.

Randy also likes kids that can run, and make no doubt about it, we are slow just about everywhere. I have no idea what Crazy Bob was trying to accomplish with recruiting. Maybe it was to help Ollie out with potential hoop recruits.

Two coaching regimes that were completely, totally and thoroughly duck**ed this program will take a while to fix. I'm a pretty patient fan, but I'm tired.

Reaction Score
I disagree that it will take awhile... Again, this program is in much much better shape than it was when Edsall 1.0 began... We can recruit JUCOs and GS's now... unlike before... not to mention, more top talent in state is staying home to play their college ball... With Edsall, it's gonna get better sooner rather than later.. there's direction for winning now, unlike the last two regimes...

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if we go back to no names on jerseys too... Might help.... We weren't too bad when our uni's were like that before.... one band one sound....

Reaction Score
Biz's sexual fantasies aside.

Randy is dead on with the culture. He coached physical teams that competed on every play. If you didn't play that way you did not see the field. It will take a while to get that back. The tackling against Mizou was talent related for sure, but my goodness, we tackle and block like we don't want to hurt someone's feelings.

Randy also likes kids that can run, and make no doubt about it, we are slow just about everywhere. I have no idea what Crazy Bob was trying to accomplish with recruiting. Maybe it was to help Ollie out with potential hoop recruits.

Two coaching regimes that were completely, totally and thoroughly **ed this program will take a while to fix. I'm a pretty patient fan, but I'm tired.

It is utterly exhausting. Forget the first two years under P where we were somewhat competitive. This is now 4 of 5 where we're just awful and painful to watch.

People want to know why I can't push myself to write a View From 241 every week -- it's because most weeks it's just punishing myself.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lets look at the Class so far this year. Many more early commits after casting a wide net. 16 Commits before HS seasons started. A more direct focus on needs than Diaco. Strong focus on in-state targets early and classic Edsall "come to camp and earn an offer" approach.

Jones - very early in-state, BC offer after commit
Harris - BC, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Mich. Still a UConn commit after enrolling in JC
Kryjewski - Syracuse - from football factory in GA
Lazarus - Purdue, Rutgers
Robinson - early in-state 3-star
Webb - early 3-star highly ranked in PA
Bemiy - 3-star Canada connection
Jones - Rutgers, BC, Syracuse
Rooney - 3-star developing OT/DT many FCS offers
Nyadu - 3-star many CUSA offers, strong Texas program
Morrison - Virginia and military schools
Gillespie - early in-state target
Carrol - trust RE with DBs
Banks - trust RE w/ DBs, early commit cancelled other FBS visits
Jeffreys - QB in HS WR in college. Classic NE athlete
Maurisseau - speed WR, camp offer
Pace - camp offer, reported Duke offer
Maloney - OT project
Niedrowski - OT project

18 Commits, 7 with FBS offers very early in the recruiting year. Robinson, Gillespie, Webb, Banks - early in-state or target commits. Maloney, Nyadu, Rooney and Niedrowski are O-line development projects under the eye of Edsall and Grimes (instead of Diaco and Cummings or Pasqualoni and DeLeone). Carrol, Maurisseau, Bemiy, and Jeffreys are the classic camp offers where coaches see speed and skills first hand.

Nice post. Bemiy camped with us? I find this kid intriguing. His tape shows a fluid kid more adept at avoiding the tackle and running with the ball than someone willing and ready to tackle. I trust the staff, just curious here. I still wonder if he is a tight end project.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Todman had an offer waiting for him at PSU if he made a visit and committed on the spot. They were going to make him a CB. When this news broke he became a 3-star for a couple of days. When he decided to stay at UConn he dropped back to a 2-star. No formal offer, but the story was well known. Todman was not a classic Edsall diamond like Beatty, Reyes, Butler, etc...

Yes, I'm aware that Penn State would offer him as a cornerback only. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, BC's offer was for him to play cornerback as well. Both schools thought that he was too short to be a running back (5'9").

That's my point. UConn was willing to play him at his preferred position of RB. And rightfully so. The kid (at the time) was like the #4 prospect coming out of Massachusetts but nobody would use him as a running back. That still qualifies as a classic Edsall diamond to me. The fact that the other P5 schools thought he could only be useful as a defensive player, and Edsall taking and eventually helping to make him into an NFL running back... :cool:

Reaction Score
Randy recruits athletes. He knows he can't get top tier, skilled recruits, but he can get his hands on athletic kids that can run and develop them. It is absolutely the right approach imo. It has very little to do with recruiting sites and their inane star and ranking system. That world has little baring on how UCONN recruits.

I have it on pretty good account from a parent of a former player that Randy's camps are not for the faint of heart. They look for toughness. They may not have pads on, but they assess the kids on who wants to play physical football. I would give my eye teeth to see someone play the oline like Petrus or Ryan did and to see someone lay the wood like Branch or put RG3 on his back like Butler. We have corners who throw the ball at receivers after they have been lit up for most of a game.

My sense is that Randy may be nearing the end of his patience and I would not be surprised to see some level of house cleaning. Honestly, I don't think the defense had to regress to this and I suspect Crocker may be a short timer. That may not be fair, but this defense is in an awful place.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Defendant did further disparage Mrs. Lawyer on a public internet forum called "The Boneyard" by suggesting that he wanted to sleep with other women leaving Mrs. Lawyer to cook dinner for he and his paramour after the infidelity. This embarrassed and humiliated her causing severe and continuing emotional distress. (See Exhibit #43: Copy of Boneyard post by Defendant at 9:48 AM on October 31, 2017.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom