Random thoughts - feel free to discuss any | The Boneyard

Random thoughts - feel free to discuss any

Reaction Score
1. That is the most fired up I’ve been watching a UConn game since 2014
2. The second T on Danny was absolute bs, honestly the first was weak at best, but he’s gotta learn how to control himself it’s been an ongoing problem
3. Freaking Polley - huge at multiple junctures - balls of steel
4. Sanogo stepped up big time all game; Cole stepped up huge when it mattered most
5. UConn taking care of the ball was the difference in the game
6. Kimani was so poised on the sideline… gotta wonder how much of the success was attributable to game prep, and how much to his calming presence if at all; they play frantic at the end of games usually, not today
7. What a play drawn up by Kimani both for the Polley three and the Cole drive
8. The Cole charge on the last play was probably a no call or a block (and the jump ball to get it back before the polley three was probably an offensive) but honestly given the bs second tech that led to a 5 point swing it was just the scales balancing
9. This is the biggest win of the Hurley era… bummer he wasn’t on the sidelines to prove it was his genius towards the end; that being said it was clear he had them well prepared

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. That is the most fired up I’ve been watching a UConn game since 2014
2. The second T on Danny was absolute bs, honestly the first was weak at best, but he’s gotta learn how to control himself it’s been an ongoing problem
3. Freaking Polley - huge at multiple junctures - balls of steel
4. Sanogo stepped up big time when it mattered
5. UConn taking care of the ball was the difference in the game
6. Kimani was so poised on the sideline… gotta wonder how much of the success was attributable to game prep, and how much to his calming presence if at all; they play frantic at the end of games usually, not today
7. What a play drawn up by Kimani both for the Polley three and the Cole drive
8. The Cole charge on the last play was probably a block (and the jump ball to get it back before the polley three was probably an offensive) but honestly given the bs second tech that led to a 5 point swing it was just the scales balancing
9. This is the biggest win of the Hurley era… bummer he wasn’t on the sidelines to prove it was his genius towards the end; that being said it was clear he had them well prepared
That was no call at best. Cole was just standing there and never lead into the offensive player so it could never be a blocking foul.

Reaction Score
That was no call at best. Cole was just standing there and never lead into the offensive player so it could never be a blocking foul.
Ah yes - forgot to say “no call or a block” - agree with you that on paper it was a no call. At the speed of the game, could have seen them more likely to call a block than a charge, but no call was probably right nonetheless

Reaction Score
Ah yes - forgot to say “no call or a block” - agree with you that on paper it was a no call. At the speed of the game, could have seen them more likely to call a block than a charge, but no call was probably right nonetheless
I think it was either a no call or charge. I do think it could have been a flop warning too but hard to tell from the replay as the actual contact was blocked out.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think it was either a no call or charge. I do think it could have been a flop warning too but hard to tell from the replay as the actual contact was blocked out.
Gillespie did get enough of him going full steam that it would've been hard to call a flop there.

Reaction Score
The tie up was probably a foul and the Gillespie drive at the end should have been a no-call but the play 2 possession prior where Whaley and Sanogo blocked Gillespie was the worst call of the game. They gave him 2 shots and he wasn’t even touched and it put them up 2 with 1:15 remaining…. Then Cole goes down and takes a similar shot with similar contact the very next possession and doesn’t get the call.

Nova had a 19-10 free throw advantage for a team that takes mostly 3s. Nova fan nation is melting down on how they “got screwed by the refs.” Frankly if the game was called evenly and without the BS techs we win comfortably.

Last edited:

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Random thought to add:

Did anyone else notice after Cole took the charge that all five Huskies on the floor just hugged each other in a mass embrace? Anyone else get goosebumps from seeing that plus the crowd going berserk? Just an amazing moment of “team”.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I’ve been saying for months (to myself) that if anyone figured out that Cole can’t do anything with his off hand, we’re in trouble. RJ picked a great time to shut my inner voice up..

Reaction Score
10. Being down 4 with less than a minute left to a well-coached, composed, great free-throw shooting team like Nova is a death sentence for most teams. Great plays drawn up by Kimani, great execution by the guys, and a pure will to win made the difference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Regarding the two calls on Gillespie:

The only reason we are even questioning the calls is because officials call both plays wrong so often.

The tie up should have been a travel if anything, but was definitely a tie up once the travel wasn't called. Offensive players are coached to start swinging their elbows in that situation to try to draw a foul call, but the ball was clearly in a tie up situation.

Gillespie had a 20 foot running start against a set defender and he was fishing for a foul call when he committed the offensive foul. Refs call this play better than they did 10 and 20 years ago, but they still give that call to the offense way more than they should.

Reaction Score
Great game. Made my day. Just two downers:
1. We must be number 1 in not communicating to teammates that they are about to be stripped from behind.
2. We must learn that, if the defender can reach to 9 feet a pass must be 10 feet.

Anyway........UCONN is on its way back.

Reaction Score
What happened to dunking the ball? Does anybody remember the dunk? Our starters are long and athletic enough I feel they should dunk more often. Especially Sunoco. I don't know how many times my wife has heard me scream from the other room, Dunk The Ball !!!

Reaction Score
Great game. Made my day. Just two downers:
1. We must be number 1 in not communicating to teammates that they are about to be stripped from behind.
2. We must learn that, if the defender can reach to 9 feet a pass must be 10 feet.

Anyway........UCONN is on its way back.
Both very true. When Gillespie had the ball stolen and then made that beeline, man-on-a-mission charge up court to strip it back (from Jackson or Whaley?), I was screaming at my TV as soon as Gillespie took off because I knew iexactly what he wanted to do / what would happen.

Reaction Score
What happened to dunking the ball? Does anybody remember the dunk? Our starters are long and athletic enough I feel they should dunk more often. Especially Sunoco. I don't know how many times my wife has heard me scream from the other room, Dunk The Ball !!!

Sanogo is not a superior athlete and he's 6'8. He probably should dunk more, but about 80% of the time I see people crying for it, they have it wrong. The kid can score close to the basket exceptionally well; I don't see how we should criticize that part of his game much at all.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Gillespie did get enough of him going full steam that it would've been hard to call a flop there.
Gillespie was called for pushing off with his off hand multiple times (finally). No flop warning was warranted in the least.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I’ve been saying for months (to myself) that if anyone figured out that Cole can’t do anything with his off hand, we’re in trouble. RJ picked a great time to shut my inner voice up..
The announcers seem to assume every player is right-handed. They get so excited when a play is made with the left, and never really reacted to that lay up. In reality, it was an incredible play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom