Random question: the trajectory of Geno's reputation as a coach | The Boneyard

Random question: the trajectory of Geno's reputation as a coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is just something I don't know because I wasn't following UConn at this time- only a little WBB at all.

As everyone knows, Geno was hired in 1985. It took 10 years to get UConn to its first winning record (1986-87), its first top recruit (Bascom, 1987), its first Final Four (1991), its first super blue chipper (Lobo, 1991), its first 30-win season, #1 seed, and Elite 8 trip (1993-1994), and of course its first National championship (1994-95). By that point, Geno was well-established as a national championship-winning coach who basically could do no wrong.

So, here's the question I have: how did Geno's reputation/standing change over time? Was there a point prior to the NC where people in the CT community thought he was an elite coach? Was there a point (maybe a couple of years after that 1991 Final Four bid) where people believed he couldn't bring UConn to the promised land?

Just a question of random curiosity. I love history like this. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I doubt very many people thought that a northeastern school from a weak conference would ever win an NC until it actually did it.

The 91 final four was a bit of a fluke -- a close win over Toledo in the 2nd round, an upset over NC St in the sweet 16, and then a close win over the #4 seed Clemson to get to the final 4.

That was followed by a few more years of ok results -- made the NCAAs but losses early and they werent even winning the Big East (Miami was).

In 94, they were a #1 seed, but a mere 5-2 against NCAA tourney teams.

I'm sure there was skepticism about UConn's elite status. I think the only thing that really started to make a difference was the Gampel win over Tenn, though TN was banged up at the time so there was still reason to doubt.

U

UCONNfan1

This is just something I don't know because I wasn't following UConn at this time- only a little WBB at all.

As everyone knows, Geno was hired in 1985. It took 10 years to get UConn to its first winning record (1986-87),
You added in an extra "0". It took him 1 year to get to a winning record - he was 14-13 in his 2nd year and never had a losing record after that...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You added in an extra "0". It took him 1 year to get to a winning record - he was 14-13 in his 2nd year and never had a losing record after that...
I believe he meant ALL those program markers were achieved within Geno's first ten years.

Reaction Score

As everyone knows, Geno was hired in 1985. It took 10 years to get UConn to its first winning record (1986-87), its first top recruit (Bascom, 1987), its first Final Four (1991), its first super blue chipper (Lobo, 1991), its first 30-win season, #1 seed, and Elite 8 trip (1993-1994), and of course its first National championship (1994-95). By that point, Geno was well-established as a national championship-winning coach who basically could do no wrong.

So, here's the question I have: how did Geno's reputation/standing change over time? Was there a point prior to the NC where people in the CT community thought he was an elite coach? Was there a point (maybe a couple of years after that 1991 Final Four bid) where people believed he couldn't bring UConn to the promised land?

Just a question of random curiosity. I love history like this. Thanks.
I felt that Geno proved he was an elite coach by about 1994. I don't think anyone questions or at least should question where the program was by then. He had worked his magic and made a viable multiple Final Four type program out of UConn. It was apparent he had started recruiting at a much higher level as the 90's progressed and what he had done with lesser talent already spelled out who and what he was. No doubt in my mind!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
when All-American Sales joined the team... local talent stayed home.

T

TroyHouse66

For those outside the Nutmeg State...

That is Kykesha Sales (6' 1" dynamo) from Bloomfield, Conn.
(But, Keesh isn't the biggest name in Bloomfield bball history... That IS... (drum roll!)...
UConn All-Century center.... (rim shot!!)...
Vincent Stanley Yokabaskas!!!
(With.. count them... 24 letters!!)
Vinnie later added "Senior"... for a grand total of 30 letters.

LSt
(BHS '64, UConn '69)

Reaction Score
It helps to have an elite coach who is un matched in WBB, but we have been blessed with incredible luck in getting players. Lobo's Mom had to be weaned away from South Bend and Sales had to be talked out of Virginia. Geno then picked up Shea in spite of the fact that she had been to many Pat Summit summer camps and horrors, Shea's Mom and Pat were former teamates!!!!!Then came an elite Russian player, Sveta, and TASSK followed. At that point we could get anybody,including the best player in the world today out of Cal. I sometime muse about Gilian Goring. Her failure to enroll forced us post Diana to use Turner and Crockett un successfully in the post. We prob would be on #12 by now if GG had qualified. Elite coach luck and hard work, some trajectory.!!!!:)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It helps to have an elite coach who is un matched in WBB, but we have been blessed with incredible luck in getting players. Lobo's Mom had to be weaned away from South Bend and Sales had to be talked out of Virginia. Geno then picked up Shea in spite of the fact that she had been to many Pat Summit summer camps and horrors, Shea's Mom and Pat were former teamates!!!!!Then came an elite Russian player, Sveta, and TASSK followed. At that point we could get anybody,including the best player in the world today out of Cal. I sometime muse about Gilian Goring. Her failure to enroll forced us post Diana to use Turner and Crockett un successfully in the post. We prob would be on #12 by now if GG had qualified. Elite coach luck and hard work, some trajectory.!!!!:)

All of that is part of the elite coach that Geno is. The breadth of tools that Geno demonstrates is astounding. They include but are not limited to time management, media spokesperson, staff human resources manager, talent appraiser, recruiter, inspirational speaker, tactician, instructor, game coach, program advocate, negotiator, etc., etc.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Let me try to help.

As everyone knows, Geno was hired in 1985. It took 1 year to get UConn to its first winning record (1986-87), 2 year to get its first top recruit (Bascom, 1987), 6 years to get its first Final Four (1991), 7 years to get its first super blue chipper (Lobo, 1991), 9 years to get its first 30-win season, #1 seed, and Elite 8 trip (1993-1994), and of course 10 years to get its first National championship (1994-95).

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Let me try to help.

As everyone knows, Geno was hired in 1985. It took 1 year to get UConn to its first winning record (1986-87), 2 year to get its first top recruit (Bascom, 1987), 6 years to get its first Final Four (1991), 7 years to get its first super blue chipper (Lobo, 1991), 9 years to get its first 30-win season, #1 seed, and Elite 8 trip (1993-1994), and of course 10 years to get its first National championship (1994-95).

Seemed pretty clear to me that, given I was providing the dates of the accomplishments, I was enumerating what all had been accomplished within 10 years. But if that was confusing, my apologies. Nonetheless, the question holds: in the state of Connecticut, how did Geno's standing as a head coach evolve even prior to winning the NC? Was he good as gold after 1991? After 1994? After a couple of less stellar seasons following Kerry Bascom's graduation, were there any doubts? Just curious, like I said.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Seemed pretty clear to me that, given I was providing the dates of the accomplishments, I was enumerating what all had been accomplished within 10 years. But if that was confusing, my apologies. Nonetheless, the question holds: in the state of Connecticut, how did Geno's standing as a head coach evolve even prior to winning the NC? Was he good as gold after 1991? After 1994? After a couple of less stellar seasons following Kerry Bascom's graduation, were there any doubts? Just curious, like I said.

Yeah, a very good question, but that issue of the winning record should be rephrased as "It took 1 year to get to its first winning record during his tenure (1986-87)," as otherwise it still sounds to me that your are saying that it was the Huskies' first winning record, which even discounting the old old days is wrong because of the 16-14 record under Jean Balthaser in 1980-81.

From my memory, Geno did not start becoming much or a household name (those houses being limited to certain neighborhoods in CT and maybe a few overheated dens in Knoxville) until 1995, and though his name was kicked around with some frequency in the national media through the rest of the '90s, it wasn't until the Huskies humiliated UTenn in the 2000 NC that a larger part of America woke up and said, "Ah, this guy has some magic and there could be a very interesting battle to topple the reigning queen of WCBB and her 6 titles in the many years ahead." And that 1-on-1 fueled a lot of interest and got Geno a speaking forum that he would not have otherwise had.

Make no mistake about the ultimate value of the blood that was spilled, since for all his many great talents and insights into the game, without all those dichotomies with Pat to play off of there would just have been a lot less interest in Geno and his program outside of CT. Pat gave him and the press a lead marker to vie with, and it made for an incredible story and a huge boost for Geno's reputation. The differentiation between the two coaches and styles also helped him a lot, as certain elite players did a comparison and decided that if they were going to play for one of the two best coaches, there was one who was just a sweet lovable pushover that they wanted to play for (mild sarcasm on Richter scale), and Pat could only lose ground in the new scenario.

Reaction Score
GREAT stuff, Folks. (Can't really add a.t. except tht I think his ability to get Lobo here served as a very important catapult....speaking of trajectories. :cool: )

Reaction Score
It was not confusing to most of us. You spelled it out very clearly...

Reaction Score
Who else could have done what Geno did ? We do know that not too many folks had ever heard of UCONN WCBB before Geno. Didn't they have 2 baskets with matresses behind each goal ? When he was trying to get CD to come with him did he not tell her that once they had built a winning team then they could move on to a better situation ? Where did he get all this knowledge from ? Did he get it from Debbie Ryan ? I don't think so, but it did help. She let him coach, and recruit, and he saw how a good WCBB program was run.

I watched a little WCBB back then. Being from the south I followed UNC, utenn, La Tech, Georgia, etc.
I remember watching UCONN the first time in a nationally televised game against utenn. They introduced the coaches and that was the first time I had ever seen Geno, and I thought, Who is this dude. Well, I found out who he was ! That was the best, most well coached team I had ever seen ! I was hooked !

What makes him such a great coach ? He has said that he was always afraid to fail. Other people have felt that way too. So what is it that makes him the best coach in WCBB ? He just has IT !
And we are SOO lucky to have him !

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I just assumed, most of you were intelligent

Having known Icebear for all these many years I can say that in my humble opinion a little less than half of Icebear is intelligent, the majority of Icebear is caring, helpful, and emotionally balanced.... so I'd have to disagree with your assessment that most of Icebear was intelligent...As far as I can tell, this is still true today.

Having read Herb's posts for these few years, I can say that Herb regards himself very very highly, lacks insight, considers his sophistication of thought to be superior to all those 'other' little BY people, lacks depth of thought, and simply enjoys that feeling that dramatically overestimating his intellectual horsepower gives him while equally enjoying the feeling that dramatically underestimating the intellectual horsepower of others gives him... As far as I can tell, this is still true today.

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I just assumed, most of you were intelligent
You need to understand that on the BMI we bears have very small brains. Your assumptions about the board are a high risk endeavor.

Reaction Score
Having known Icebear for all these many years I can say that in my humble opinion a little less than half of Icebear is intelligent, the majority of Icebear is caring, helpful, and emotionally balanced.... so I'd have to disagree with your assessment that most of Icebear was intelligent...As far as I can tell, this is still true today.

Having read Herb's posts for these few years, I can say that Herb regards himself very very highly, lacks insight, considers his sophistication of thought to be superior to all those 'other' little BY people, lacks depth of thought, and simply enjoys that feeling that dramatically overestimating his intellectual horsepower gives him while equally enjoying the feeling that dramatically underestimating the intellectual horsepower of others gives him... As far as I can tell, this is still true today.

Your Ol' Pal Boo
Cpl Boo, military intelligence is an oxymoron.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Stop.jpg

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Oh Herb... you seem hellbent upon proving me right... A bit of advice with respect to future postings... you might want to avoid proving your deficiencies.

I've had my fun... Nan, I'll quit playing with Herb for now... Hmmmm.... peace breaks out across the Boneyard... Hallelujah...

Your Ol' Pal Boo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer