OT: - Raiders release Antonio Brown | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Raiders release Antonio Brown

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Source: Brown agrees to deal with Patriots

1 yr 15 million. 9 million guaranteed. :eek:

Yeah, I heard it on the radio of my truck. Nearly crashed! But this is the pattern in the NFL: wife beater, bring him in. 3 time drug suspension loser bring him in. Dog merde crazy bring him in. No Gronk, bring him in (yeah I know). We'll just put a touch of Zanex and a dash of Clozapine in his water bottle and he'll be fine. North Dallas 40 was fiction of course; the NFL does much worse.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, I heard it on the radio of my truck. Nearly crashed! But this is the pattern in the NFL: wife beater, bring him in. 3 time drug suspension loser bring him in. Dog merde crazy bring him in. No Gronk, bring him in (yeah I know). We'll just put a touch of Zanex and a dash of Clozapine in his water bottle and he'll be fine. North Dallas 40 was fiction of course; the NFL does much worse.

There is only one way to react to THIS kind of "unbelievable" news.........................................:eek:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If the Raiders voided his guaranteed money, which is why he "requested" to be released, I would guess that he is not going to be getting any money from them.
And I really don't understand why Kraft would guarantee that much money for him...especially when the odds are not that great that he will be on the team for the complete season, according to the opinions of many people.
As we are learning from this thread, it's because "guarantees" in NFL contracts are not really guarantees. Based on calderone's post above, the $9 million that the Patriots supposedly guaranteed him can be cancelled if he violates any norms related to player conduct.

Reaction Score
Actually, the $9 mill is Brown's to keep. Signing bonuses are paid up front, so it's his money the moment he signed for the Pats. Guaranteed money in this case is actually guaranteed.
NFL 101-Salaries and Bonuses

He theoretically lost about $14 million this year by having the Raider contract voided. He can make up for that with a more lucrative one when he hits free agency next year. The big if of course, is if it works out in New England (a long shot, I know :rolleyes:).
I don't get why the Pats went for him either but it's not going to cost them any draft picks and there aren't any salary cap implications AFAIK so apparently Belichick thinks the risk is acceptable. It does make rooting against that team a whole lot easier, no?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
FWIW, Brown's agent sure he will be a model citizen. :rolleyes:

Agent: AB ready to 'fit in, work hard' for Belichick

"I'll just tell you that the Patriots are obviously a very solid, strong organization," said Rosenhaus, who also represented now-retired Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. "They do things the Patriots Way. They expect everyone to be accountable. They don't make any exceptions. I've discussed this with Antonio. And he wants to be a Patriot. He's prepared to go there, fit in, work hard, be like every other player on the team, do what's asked of him, do his job and make it work. He's honored with the opportunity and he's looking forward to taking advantage of it."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And he has signed with the Patriots- just saw a bulletin.....wow....
When the Pats had another problem receiver--Randy Moss--they were nearly unbeatable. This is a huge move for Belichick et al.

Carnac

Reaction Score
FWIW, Brown's agent sure he will be a model citizen. :rolleyes:

Agent: AB ready to 'fit in, work hard' for Belichick

"I'll just tell you that the Patriots are obviously a very solid, strong organization," said Rosenhaus, who also represented now-retired Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. "They do things the Patriots Way. They expect everyone to be accountable. They don't make any exceptions. I've discussed this with Antonio. And he wants to be a Patriot. He's prepared to go there, fit in, work hard, be like every other player on the team, do what's asked of him, do his job and make it work. He's honored with the opportunity and he's looking forward to taking advantage of it."

Brown is going to be a “model” citizen ~ Rosenhaus. Yeah, right. Anybody that believes that also believes in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. :confused:

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Actually, the $9 mill is Brown's to keep. Signing bonuses are paid up front, so it's his money the moment he signed for the Pats. Guaranteed money in this case is actually guaranteed.
NFL 101-Salaries and Bonuses

He theoretically lost about $14 million this year by having the Raider contract voided. He can make up for that with a more lucrative one when he hits free agency next year. The big if of course, is if it works out in New England (a long shot, I know :rolleyes:).
I don't get why the Pats went for him either but it's not going to cost them any draft picks and there aren't any salary cap implications AFAIK so apparently Belichick thinks the risk is acceptable. It does make rooting against that team a whole lot easier, no?
I think one reason that the Pats went after him so quickly is because they were an interested team when the Steelers first decided to put him on the trading block. But the Steelers had a list of teams that they would not trade him to. The Pats were on that list.
You have to feel bad for the Raiders because they traded and lost their draft picks to Pittsburgh and ended up with nothing to show for it...(BTW I am not a Raiders fan.)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some stories bouncing around that Brown's antics were part of a plan to get released from the Raiders. Is it so far fetched to think that NE was giving 'technical support' and a safe haven prior to his final blowup

Reaction Score
Some stories bouncing around that Brown's antics were part of a plan to get released from the Raiders. Is it so far fetched to think that NE was giving 'technical support' and a safe haven prior to his final blowup
It was reported he hired a social media consultant to help him disconnect from the Raiders. I’m guessing that was not Bill Belichick

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It was reported he hired a social media consultant to help him disconnect from the Raiders. I’m guessing that was not Bill Belichick
Here's the way some conspiracy ideas go.

Drew Rosenhaus and Antonio Brown are at Browns house sipping adult drinks before the Steelers trade, "Look Antonio", Rosenhaus says, "the Steelers aren't going to trade you for a first and second rounder for you". Rosenhaus sits down with Belichick and says, "Bill, what if it doesn't work out in Oakland for my guy, would you be interested?". Belichick says, "Yeah, but only on a one year deal structured really tight, that's basically week to week.". Rosenhaus then goes back to Brown after Oakland trades for him and says, "Okay, you can get 10 mil guaranteed from the Pats, but you'll have to be a good soldier. If you're willing to do that then we have to get you out of Oakland.". Then there's helmetgate, then he blasts the team on social media including teammates about the fines, then he doesn't show up to get the fines which could void the contract. Then he tries to fight the GM using a slur against him. Then he illegally records a conversation with the coach. Then he hires a social media firm. All this while Brown is thinking, yeah, I can sign with the Pats and still ultimately get my 30 mil AND win a Super Bowl. With all the endorsement money that will bring. Yeah, I have the 30 mil in hand. All I have to do is show up on Monday night, for one game. But I'd rather roll the dice, because I'm excrement and it's all about me.

To my way of thinking, this turd doesn't last a season with the Pats, and I hope it's as painful as a full body toothache for all involved.

Reaction Score
To my way of thinking, this turd doesn't last a season with the Pats, and I hope it's as painful as a full body toothache for all involved.
Well, on paper it would appear unlikely that BOTH Josh Gordon and AB make it a whole season in New England without something blowing up. Many alternate universes here. I’m going with the one where they’re both good Boy Scouts, the Patriots set all kinds of records on their way to an undefeated season and 7th Super Bowl win, and Belichick is heralded as the all-time greatest coach and salvager of uber-talented misfits & outcasts.

Go Pats!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

But if Drew knew (and I think he must have) that NE would be a receptive landing place, then he could force his seperation from Oakland without fear. So as far as I am concerned, NE is part of the conspiracy and although I have no Idea what constitutes tampering in the NFL, it sounds like tampering at an NBA level at least.

Reaction Score
But if Drew knew (and I think he must have) that NE would be a receptive landing place, then he could force his seperation from Oakland without fear. So as far as I am concerned, NE is part of the conspiracy and although I have no Idea what constitutes tampering in the NFL, it sounds like tampering at an NBA level at least.
Drew knew NE would LIKELY be receptive, since they were very interested when he left Pittsburgh. But what indication is that anyone associated with the Pats did or said ANYTHING that would be considered tampering relative to AB leaving Oakland?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Drew knew NE would LIKELY be receptive, since they were very interested when he left Pittsburgh. But what indication is that anyone associated with the Pats did or said ANYTHING that would be considered tampering relative to AB leaving Oakland?

In a court of law, none (until AB spills the beans on some video makign fun of the Steelers and/or Radiers in the future ;)) but I am only stating an opinion based on a healthy cynicism of the agent profession.

Also, since I do not hear any language like tampering being mentioned, there probably is a much higher threshold to meet in the NFL.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
My first reaction was disbelief. But as terms of the deal have come out, here's what I've concluded:

Teams will take whatever steps they think necessary to advance their chances. If you're a team with a losing record, they'll likely need to take a long view and take incremental steps to get to the point where you'll feel competitive.

But if you're a strong team like New England, and you get an opportunity to pick up a player that can add extreme talent and significantly increase your chances for another championship right now, you'll be looking at a short term view.

Moss came to NE with a bad rep, and he was solid and productive and on good behavior for 3 years before he slipped and messed up. It turned out to be a good deal for the team.

If the Patriots get only one year out of Brown and that's enough to hoist a 7th trophy, then this move is probably worth while.

And who knows, maybe the Patriots will be able to reach Brown in a way that no one else has, and he'll come out of the year a better person.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is questioning the Patriots for signing Brown. The question a lot of us have is was Brown ever really going to play for the Raiders or was it just a big con? Every offseason and draft move Gruden made was based on Brown playing with the Raiders. This puts them back significantly. I feel for Gruden and the Raiders.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Of course he knew, NE reportedly offered the best package for Brown to the Steelers (who turned it down). They were very interested. And agents contact teams through intermediaries all the time. Everyone knows that.

Drew also knew a lot of other teams would be receptive. Everybody is a talent-whore in the NFL. Wife beaters and malcontents get signed to big contracts all the time.

Brown obviously valued winning over money this particular year. And he could have ended up with a few contenders, the leading candidates being the Pats and Saints.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And who knows, maybe the Patriots will be able to reach Brown in a way that no one else has, and he'll come out of the year a better person.

He's always been an attention-whore, but he wasn't a problem his first 6 years or so in the league. And Pittsburgh handled his rise poorly by both enabling him and Roethlisberger.

Mind you, I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
Not so fast. Brown has had a civil suit filed against him for rape. Brown surely is a three ring circus. First the Steelers, then the Raiders and now the rape case.

Reaction Score

Hmmmm... Just as I was starting to mentally cut him a little bit of slack because, “at least he doesn’t beat up women.” Sigh...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Excerpt including what may possibly happen before week 2

The Patriots were caught by surprise, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter, and the team will have to decide how to proceed with Brown, who was scheduled for his first practice with New England on Wednesday. One possibility is that Roger Goodell will place Brown on the commissioner's exempt list, sources said, which would mean Brown will not be counted on the Patriots' active list while the league investigates the allegations.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Excerpt including what may possibly happen before week 2

The Patriots were caught by surprise, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter, and the team will have to decide how to proceed with Brown, who was scheduled for his first practice with New England on Wednesday. One possibility is that Roger Goodell will place Brown on the commissioner's exempt list, sources said, which would mean Brown will not be counted on the Patriots' active list while the league investigates the allegations.

The envelope sez...................................Brown sit this one out on the Commissioner's Exempt List until this newest development has been resolved, and he serves whatever suspension (if any) the league office imposes. The league and the Pats come out smelling like a rose here if Brown is suspended by the league.

No one will ask the league or the Patriots "why is Brown being allowed to play" if they do. He won't be allowed to play, but he still gets paid. :cool:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom