OT: - Raiders release Antonio Brown | The Boneyard

OT: Raiders release Antonio Brown

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Oakland Raiders have announced they've released Antonio Brown, making the wide receiver eligible to sign with any team at 4:01 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Brown told ESPN's Jeff Darlington in an email Saturday that there is "no way" he plays for the Raiders.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver said this is his stance after the team "took away my [contract] guarantees." He added: "no way I play after they took that and made my contract week to week."

Breaking news: Brown finds new home, agrees to deal with Pats.
Damn that was fast. Rosenhaus is good.

The Raiders fined Brown $215,073.53 for conduct detrimental to the team, league sources told Schefter on Saturday.

By fining Brown, the Raiders voided the $29.125 million worth of guaranteed money in his deal, sources told Schefter.

Best news I've read all week. ;) Gruden is heart broken, but he'll get over it. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The best news is that he lost over $29 Million of guaranteed money. It will be interesting to see if anyone gives him even a dime of guarantees. He has been a cancer on his teams since he first showed up in the NFL.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Oakland Raiders have announced they've released Antonio Brown, making the wide receiver eligible to sign with any team at 4:01 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Brown told ESPN's Jeff Darlington in an email Saturday that there is "no way" he plays for the Raiders.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver said this is his stance after the team "took away my [contract] guarantees." He added: "no way I play after they took that and made my contract week to week."

The Raiders fined Brown $215,073.53 for conduct detrimental to the team, league sources told Schefter on Saturday.

By fining Brown, the Raiders voided the $29.125 million worth of guaranteed money in his deal, sources told Schefter.

Best news I've read all week. ;)

Can't agree more. Spoiled head cases spoiling sports everywhere. This guy is an extreme example.

Reaction Score
I can't see any team signing Brown unless he's willing to come in for no guaranteed money and just gets a base salary and bonuses if he achieves certain goals related to catches, TD's, games played, etc. which is not very likely to happen. I don't think Gruden comes out of this looking very good either.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Brown had to go, that’s for sure, but so far in his return to Oakland, John Gruden has been underwhelming. Don’t be surprised if Gruden is back on MNF doing color commentary soon.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Rumor is that he is heading to Foxborough/Foxboro:

I am guessing that he will be heading to Arlington TX.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure what he can extort but he will probably land on a better team.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I can't see any team signing Brown unless ...
I tend to agree with you, however, in professional athletics giant egos abound. Some egomaniacal owner/GM/head coach will probably give him what he wants.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
How does a team get a unilateral right to cancel all the guaranteed money in a player's contract simply by imposing a fine on him for a specific violation? If the team can do that unilaterally, then what does it mean to describe the money as "guaranteed"?

It seems that any team that didn't feel like paying off a player's contract (perhaps only because his on-field performance has been disappointing, or because the team wanted to use the money for someone else), they could just find a trumped-up violation to fine him for, and they would be magically released from the contract that they agreed to. I 'm not saying that AB's violation was trumped up, but what protection would another player have against having his contract voided in this way?

Reaction Score
It seems that any team that didn't feel like paying off a player's contract (perhaps only because his on-field performance has been disappointing, or because the team wanted to use the money for someone else), they could just find a trumped-up violation to fine him.... what protection would another player have against having his contract voided in this way?
Players union will challenge this and it will go to arbitration. AB will probably lose, but a player who is a good teammate and employee and just isn't performing on the field would probably have their guaranteed money upheld by an arbitrator.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rumor is that he is heading to Foxborough/Foxboro:

I am guessing that he will be heading to Arlington TX.
Maybe he’ll end up in Cleveland where AB & OBJ can compete with each other as the NFL’s MVE (Most Valuable Ego).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
From what I understand, all AB had to do was play Monday Night and he would have been guaranteed $19 Million Dollars. I could have kept off Instagram/Twitter for a couple of days to get the guaranteed dollars. Then if I believed I was wronged, go on Instagram on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
How does a team get a unilateral right to cancel all the guaranteed money in a player's contract simply by imposing a fine on him for a specific violation? If the team can do that unilaterally, then what does it mean to describe the money as "guaranteed"?

It seems that any team that didn't feel like paying off a player's contract (perhaps only because his on-field performance has been disappointing, or because the team wanted to use the money for someone else), they could just find a trumped-up violation to fine him for, and they would be magically released from the contract that they agreed to. I 'm not saying that AB's violation was trumped up, but what protection would another player have against having his contract voided in this way?
It's not unilateral since Brown accepted the terms for voiding his guaranteed money when he signed his contract. As noted above the one thing he (and the NFLPA) can do now is file a grievance. What he and his agent could have done earlier was to have those conditions removed from the contract in the first place. Given his prior history, even the Raiders wouldn't have signed him then. ::shrug::
Those terms in his contract can be found in this article
It is standard for NFL contracts to contain language voiding salary guarantees for a laundry list of reasons. The conditions vary depending on team convention, the attention the agent pays to the language and his/her leverage in negotiations.

Brown's contract isn't any different than anybody else's....
"Notwithstanding this Skill, Injury and Cap Guarantee, Player shall report to Club, practice with Club, play with Club, and honor all terms of the Contract, including all addenda thereto. If at any time Player does not report to Club; does not practice or play with Club; leaves Club without prior written approval (including, but not limited to retirement); does not honor any terms of the Contract (including any addenda thereto); is suspended by the NFL or Club for conduct detrimental, violation of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, ..

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
From what I understand, all AB had to do was play Monday Night and he would have been guaranteed $19 Million Dollars. I could have kept off Instagram/Twitter for a couple of days to get the guaranteed dollars. Then if I believed I was wronged, go on Instagram on Tuesday.

Up until now, every stunt he pulled was met with indulgence so why would he have thought he would not get away with it again. Anyway, I expect think he will launch a gutter fight online and elsewhere and probably sabotoge any hope of a new team taking a chance.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's not unilateral since Brown accepted the terms for voiding his guaranteed money when he signed his contract. As noted above the one thing he (and the NFLPA) can do now is file a grievance. What he and his agent could have done earlier was to have those conditions removed from the contract in the first place. Given his prior history, even the Raiders wouldn't have signed him then. ::shrug::
Those terms in his contract can be found in this article
Correct. As soon as I saw the words "Conduct unbecoming" on the fine letter I new that would be grounds to void the guarantee. He got everything he deserved. If Brown thought the terms of his Raider contract was unfair, wait untill he sees his next contract, whether it's for another team or when he has to get a real job.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Brown was in violation of his contact for not participating in 75 percent of his preseason practice, most of it because he didn't want to wear an approved type helmet and he also had incidents with the GM and other Raiders official. I believe that it was the owner and the GM that made the decision to void the contract and release him. Gruden wanted to keep him.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing those Patriots fans wearing Antonio Brown jerseys

Reaction Score
And suddenly the newest Patriot goes from "cancer" to "worthy of another chance", at least in the eyes of many around here. ;)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Wow! Is there anybody here who doesn't think he is going to be problem for the Pats? This guy has never been told no in his life...not unusual for a gifted professional athlete...but, spoiled as he is...I find it hard to believe that he will suddenly become a boyscout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom