Raegan Beers to UConn or OU | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Raegan Beers to UConn or OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have no idea which players may or may not be on the radar. Except for Kaitlyn Chen maybe...

You can choose to be optimistic if you’d like. There’s Caitlin Weimar, Amina Muhammad, Timea Gardiner, etc. Coach Valley likely would’ve followed them just as she did Beers, Chen & Iriafen and have done in the past.

Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder what the current UCONN players think or feel about all this fuss about how it’s absolutely critical we get another “big” player or we could use another experienced point guard.. wondering what the message is they are receiving? wondering if they are feeling like they aren’t enough? that would be a shame..

Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder what the current UCONN players think or feel about all this fuss about how it’s absolutely critical we get another “big” player or we could use another experienced point guard.. wondering what the message is they are receiving? wondering if they are feeling like they aren’t enough?
They don't read the boneyard and while they appreciate all Uconn fans they don't care about what's written there

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder what the current UCONN players think or feel about all this fuss about how it’s absolutely critical we get another “big” player or we could use another experienced point guard.. wondering what the message is they are receiving? wondering if they are feeling like they aren’t enough? that would be a shame..
Given that they all jumped so quickly on the Instagram contact, I would guess it's positive. These days everyone likes to play coach/gm. They all went thru the injury riddled teams, and all faced Texas, UCLA, SC (and even USC was big and physical up front).

With a true big group of Transfer, El Alfy, Brady and Strong there's still plenty of minutes to go around, and players like Griffen, Paige and Ducharme are not forced to play there by necessity.

Reaction Score
Better not sleep on Texas! Vic has that team on the verge of greatness! Harmon and Booker are legitimate stars and he’s surrounding them with good players. Talented players plus a great coach equals a potential championship!
Totally not sleep. There will be several really good teams out there and Texas is one of them.

Reaction Score
Most UConn players are thinking "I am going to work hard and become as good as Coach thinks I can be." Some are thinking "I am going to get really good and help us win Championships'" Some are thinking "I am going to get good enough to make it into the pros." Some are thinking "I want my name to be on the wall." Some are thinking "I want my number retired."

If players who are being recruited share some of these thoughts in the UConn context, we will see them on campus. Others may have productive and happy lives elsewhere!

Reaction Score
I understand her favoritism towards her former assistant coach over having 2 HOF coaches, with 11 NCs, as her coaches at UConn.:):rolleyes:

sarcasm......

I hope we have a Plan B for a portal big, if for no other reason than insurance, but hoping for a real contributor.
"Plan B", there are going to be lots of options available if things do not work out with Beers. Question is whom Geno would want to join, how would they fit with the team, how many years of future availability (with the idea that perhaps one or two years might be the desires given the existing commitments), etc.

Google search some of these names as just a start:
  • Maori Davenport
  • Amina Muhammad
  • Natalija Marshall
  • Maryam Dauda
  • Kennedy Basham

Reaction Score
Maybe, but while I too like the thought of Raegan and Jana together on the floor, and think it would work well, what really is exciting is then using Sarah at the 3 with Paige and Azzi at the 1/2. We haven't had a really big lineup for a while, and Sarah has perimeter shooting and passing skills, and Jana has perimeter and ball handling/driving skills as well.
I have the exact opposite view. I can't wait to see Sarah at the PF - having a PF with her type of outside shot along with 3 guards able to drill shots from the perimeter and with elite passing all would open the paint -- and if you add in Beers - the Offense would be over-and-above-tremendous potentially.

Reaction Score
Ask yourself this question- Would OU be in the running for this player without NIL? I sure hope so but I doubt it. This is a consequence of what many BYers have previously bemoaned about current college sports. The historic football schools will be able to invade the talent markets of other sports because of their overwhelming monetary advantage. Contrary to the NCAA's sanitized original version of the portal and NIL, it will not help the mid-majors or non-power 5 football schools, it will cripple them.

There are exceptions, like UCONN, due to their history and type of program, but if the player is looking for compensation, especially when the pro league in their sport, basketball for instance, is either too far a reach or doesn't pay enough, NIL Collectives become very attractive. I highly admire and respect players who come here to play because it is for the right reasons. I'm not criticizing anyone who wants or needs to earn money for their talents, simply stating that the long term consequences of the new reality are going to be very difficult for some schools who will be relegated to a perpetual state of second, third or fourth fiddle and who will not be able to keep star players.

Reaction Score
Seems like she’s bought into OU. Time to move on and focus on what we have

Reaction Score
I have the exact opposite view. I can't wait to see Sarah at the PF - having a PF with her type of outside shot along with 3 guards able to drill shots from the perimeter and with elite passing all would open the paint -- and if you add in Beers - the Offense would be over-and-above-tremendous potentially.I
I agree. Putting Sarah at the 3 takes a very physical player who is a proven rebounder and inside/ outside scorer away from the rim and you lose the "big" defender playing her who will be pulled outside when she shoots and makes 3s. Assuming health, a very big assumption, playing at your natural position is best. If Sarah is at the 3, is Ash and CD on the bench? Why put a 6'3" strong wide player away from the basket? I also think Jana will surprise everyone. She is a basketball player and plays the game. She is also a big body who can protect the paint. A team will have to match size with Jana and then match size and power with Sarah while trying to stop a barrage from the outside from Paige, Azzi, CD, Allie and Ash with KK penetrating and hopefully dishing more instead of forcing, and Ay and Aubrey coming in as well. Plus for good measure, Morgan can facilitate as well. So not at the 3 for Sarah, and yes for Beers to also play under as an added scorer and rebounder.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Eight pages of rehash? Let me know when the pick is in and ESPN confirms it with their breaking news chime.
Unbelievable, right? I keep checking in, hoping to see one of two things:
The title of this thread is edited to remove "or OU" or
A new thread on her choice to become a Huskie.
But each passing hour decreases the odds of seeing either.

Reaction Score
Ask yourself this question- Would OU be in the running for this player without NIL? I sure hope so but I doubt it. This is a consequence of what many BYers have previously bemoaned about current college sports. The historic football schools will be able to invade the talent markets of other sports because of their overwhelming monetary advantage. Contrary to the NCAA's sanitized original version of the portal and NIL, it will not help the mid-majors or non-power 5 football schools, it will cripple them.

There are exceptions, like UCONN, due to their history and type of program, but if the player is looking for compensation, especially when the pro league in their sport, basketball for instance, is either too far a reach or doesn't pay enough, NIL Collectives become very attractive. I highly admire and respect players who come here to play because it is for the right reasons. I'm not criticizing anyone who wants or needs to earn money for their talents, simply stating that the long term consequences of the new reality are going to be very difficult for some schools who will be relegated to a perpetual state of second, third or fourth fiddle and who will not be able to keep star players.
Can you prove that UConn’s collective pays less than others?

Reaction Score
you'd be surprised........
No, I don't think I would.....:)

I would guess the average poster on the boneyard is north (considerably?) of 45. We are passionate, humorous, prolific and often nuts. College age students are heavily engaged in social media that matches their interests, experiences, and needs and would have 0 interest in our conversations.

Now perhaps their "teams" are following our conversations in the interest of market research and expanding the brand....:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn players would not have followed Raegan en masse unless they were told she had committed to the team. This because (1) Uconn players would not so supplicate themselves, (2) loyal teammates would not insult their bigs by openly hoping for a better big, and (3) rookies in waiting, Morgan and Ally, certainly would not have overstepped by doing so.

I still expect BigMamaBeer. If wrong, I’ll be irrevocably bummed. --)

Reaction Score
Absolutely, and the message is quite clear,at least from the Boneyard. It is a shame, and it's wrong. I really feel for the recruited players if they are hearing this crap. Personally, I think the team in Storrs at the moment is good enough to win it all next year. Look what they did this year with the players available. Stuff this transfer.....!

Reaction Score
I hope we have a Plan B for a portal big, if for no other reason than insurance, but hoping for a real contributor.
I think the words you used are appropriate. We are hoping for a real contributor which Beers or Iriafen clearly would be, but I'm afraid the plan B winds up just being insurance, or more a Ayanna/Ice level player at best. We don't know others beyond Chen that we have shown an interest in, but we do know the portal options for a big drop off big time after the top two, so we might have a plan B, but nothing that compares to plan A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom