R.J. Evans.... man what a surprise | The Boneyard

R.J. Evans.... man what a surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like this kid a lot. He's like a gift that dropped in Ollie's lap. His presence makes a difference on the court and on the bench. The kid has game also making our backcourt one of the best in the nation. I am comfortable with him in the game unlike many backups in the past. The bottom line is that he contributes when he plays.

Easy kid to root for and I will be a fan of his this season.

Go R.J.!

Reaction Score
Agreed 100% He is a surprise in terms of his presence! He is confident with the ball. Seems to have a very high 'BB IQ'. A nice 4th guard to our 3 guard line up!

Reaction Score
I think it probably helps the locker room in general to have a player that specifically came here to play out one year, knowing he won't be able to play in the tournament, just to be at UConn. I imagine his mindset in general is quite a bit different from the typical kid that comes in hoping to put on the jersey as a pit stop to the NBA, and he probably has a maturity that most players don't have.

Personally I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed the beginning of the season this much. Between the coaching change and knowing there's no brass ring at the end of the season, I'm really looking forward to just about every game this season. Obviously it helps that we're winning and more importantly looking good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not really surprised. He comes as advertised, smart, strong, experienced...but with no real outside shot. He's not that quick, and he'll learn that despite his bulk, posting up in the BE will be a challenge. But his ability to defend bigger players due to his strength has been vital for a team so short of muscle. Great addition.

Reaction Score
Great addition to the team. going forward, I hope we try to recruit some kids similiar to Evans. We definitely need to go after blue chip talent, but we also need some solid citizens that will stay for 4 yrs and have both oncourt/offcourt influence. Something tells me, it will also help with the team gpa.

Reaction Score
Not really surprised. He comes as advertised, smart, strong, experienced...but with no real outside shot. He's not that quick, and he'll learn that despite his bulk, posting up in the BE will be a challenge. But his ability to defend bigger players due to his strength has been vital for a team so short of muscle. Great addition.
He actually has looked pretty quick going to the basket. His problem is that he has no shot. He has always been known as a great slasher. I don't see quickness being an issue for him even with his size. He is definitely faster than Khalid El Amin with a somewhat similiar body style. He doesn't really seem to have any mid range game due to his lack of shooting skills. He does play great defense and is definitley a hustle player also which works great for this team. He also seems to play point gaurd in some sets as he did in the last two games bringing the ball up the court to give SN and RB a break.

Reaction Score
Nice solid addition to a team that was in dire need of some maturity on the court. He seems to be a 22yr old leader to these guys and the passion and hustle will be catchy to these kids........seems to lack a great shot and his left dribble is just ok but his IQ out there looks very high.....nice glue guy as the 4th guard and great kid!!!

Reaction Score
You can just tell how appreciative RJ is to sport the uconn jersey. I love this kid #HesASoldier

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Personally I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed the beginning of the season this much.

Was 2010 that long ago, or not that enjoyable?

Nov. 12 Stony Brook Gampel Pavilion W, 79-52 |
Nov. 17 Vermont XL Center W, 89-73 |
Nov. 22 vs. Wichita State Lahaina, Hawaii W, 83-79 Story | Photos
Nov. 23 Michigan St. Lahaina, Hawaii W, 70-67 |
Nov. 24 Kentucky Lahaina, Hawaii
W, 84-67

As to Evans, he's like the savvy JUCO player we've seen on other teams, or wished for but never get . . . only better.

Reaction Score
He definitely is a step up from DB. DB was a steadying force at times but definitely had very limited basketball skills. At least RJE comes with BE body and game to match it. Not saying he is a great player but definitely is BE player in the mold of some of those Pitt players we use to love. LOL.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
He reminds me (in temperament and desire) of Marcus White. With MW it was offensive rebounding, and with RJ it's driving to the hole, but neither is afraid to throw his body around in the paint. Both are into the game completely while on the bench, and are ready to do something right away when their number gets called.

The other former role player that was like that (the into the game and ready to contribute part, not the throwing his body around in the paint part) was EJ Harrison.

Reaction Score
The greatest asset he affords is rest for our guards without compromising basic offense or defense. For example when Nolan and Wolf come in - they are a non factor offensively.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You can't turn your back on a crafty veteran. Kinda of like Baron Mikel Scicluna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom