R.J. Cole, ‘a difference-maker’ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

R.J. Cole, ‘a difference-maker’

Reaction Score
Honestly dislike “hero ball” assumptions when it really wasn’t that at all. We just didn’t have anyone who could make a play when we needed to. And the one guy who could was a bit shy for the first half of the year so all of our so called playmakers were getting swallowed up. Honestly it all changed when Bouk allowed himself to be who he could be. He changed it all with his confidence and opened the floor. Even the guys who couldn’t be “heroes” suddenly were when the time came. No one ever wanted to be a hero per se they just wanted to win and try to make that play but it took changes by DH and Bouk to change the mindset.
I don’t think he was talking about last season Mau or under Dan Hurley. Hero ball was the offense under the previous guy, whose favorite play was to throw it around behind the 3 pt line for 25 seconds and then have somebody hoist a last second heave. I think we saw good signs last year of an evolving offense that should improve significantly this year as well.

Reaction Score
IMO...Would be real happy if we could get a combined per game output of 20 pts/10 assists from the PG spot (RJ/JG) in 2020.. Less concerned about their open court and fast break efficiency..Where I think they excel.. More interested to see how efficient we can be in half court sets..grind-it-out games.. If guys can learn to get open without the ball (ala Rip)..Our PGs look like they can deliver a pass ..Got to get to their "spots"..

Reaction Score
I don’t think he was talking about last season Mau or under Dan Hurley. Hero ball was the offense under the previous guy, whose favorite play was to throw it around behind the 3 pt line for 25 seconds and then have somebody hoist a last second heave. I think we saw good signs last year of an evolving offense that should improve significantly this year as well.

Fair enough if not the timing but many posters aligned AG and CVs plays late in games over the last couple years as hero ball. Think it was related to the Hurley years. All good time to move on either way.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, Chief thinks Gaffney is just one of those guys the well intended Casual Fan continually underestimates. He keeps you from beating yourself and we were a tournament level team last season with him but earlier without him, we beat ourselves arguably 3-5 times.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
All love and praise for RJ but I'm still blown away that it's just being handed to him. The way Gaff played towards the end of the season, I feel like it should be his spot to lose.

Reaction Score
All love and praise for RJ but I'm still blown away that it's just being handed to him. The way Gaff played towards the end of the season, I feel like it should be his spot to lose.

I don’t think it’s out of the question to see him and RJ start together, specifically in the beginning of the season. We didn’t start Bouk last year & I doubt game 1 of this season will have a freshman start, especially with them just now all gettin together on campus. With how Jackson has been praised as a playmaker and facilitator, we may not need Cole or Gaff to come off the bench.

Any conceivable lineup would have 3/4 of RJ, Gaff, Bouk, Jackson

C

Chief00

The plan is not to start both Cole and Gaffney. You need a point guard in reserve and you have to manage foul potential at that essential position. However, it’s possible that they could play together during brief portions of the game.
I think they will miss CV more than people realize. Getting away from hero ball, he really played well down the stretch and filled the box score.
Jackson is the guy who intrigues me from a position perspective. Danny has a lot of positional matchup flexibility. Bouknight will be mostly a 2 guard, but Prolly and Jackson can rotate between the 3 and 2. It’s amazing how the puzzle starts to fill in with guys on campus for only a week. That’s why Chief was so supportive of what the coaches were trying to do.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, Chief thinks Gaffney is just one of those guys the well intended Casual Fan continually underestimates. He keeps you from beating yourself and we were a tournament level team last season with him but earlier without him, we beat ourselves arguably 3-5 times.

And if there's one thing that Chief knows, it's how to beat yourself.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fair enough if not the timing but many posters aligned AG and CVs plays late in games over the last couple years as hero ball. Think it was related to the Hurley years. All good time to move on either way.

I was definitely in the AG and CV hero ball camp first half of last season. AG's injuries and JG insertion in to lineup got better ball movement and better shots.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Bouknight will be mostly a 2 guard, but Prolly and Jackson can rotate between the 3 and 2.
I wouldn't underestimate Bouk's ability to bring the ball down the court in a pinch either.

Reaction Score
Bouk will be a ball handler in the pros, so DH will prob give him some run as our primary in spots
Gaff has great athleticism we really didn't see last year
If RJ is the starter, that means he's beaten out Gaff. Love the internal competition.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't underestimate Bouk's ability to bring the ball down the court in a pinch either.
Keep in mind that Jackson was a PG before he had his growth spurt.. Can handle the ball when needed.. Frequently projected as a PG at the next level

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Jackson was a PG before he had his growth spurt.. Can handle the ball when needed.. Frequently projected as a PG at the next level

This is very true and this is why our perimeter has a chance to be elite next year. Our starting 1(Cole), 2 (Bouk) and 3 (Jackson) all have point guard skills. That's El-Amin, Ricky Moore and Richard Hamilton territory.

Reaction Score
Jackson is a talent, a freshman talent. He's a ball handler that is not going to get stripped? Cole and Gaffney are PG's. Let's temper immediate expectations on these freshman. Hurley will work them in going with experience, this is what I think.

Reaction Score
Aw Chief....I thought you were done with the "Quite frankly", 3rd person, and "Casual fan". Just when I thought it was ok to like you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Aw Chief....I thought you were done with the "Quite frankly", 3rd person, and "Casual fan". Just when I thought it was ok to like you.
Fool me once...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not just sources, "Deeply entrenched confidants." This is serious guys.

So, in the future when he uses a phrase like "sources" are we to believe his information is less credible than when he gets information from "deeply entrenched confidants"?

It's a tell when a reporter uses different phrases for their sources/citations for their work.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I love the promise this team holds, not just to be good, but to be exciting and crazy fun to watch. So dynamic all over the court.

That said, I think them playing the season is becoming less likely.

Reaction Score
Honestly dislike “hero ball” assumptions when it really wasn’t that at all. We just didn’t have anyone who could make a play when we needed to. And the one guy who could was a bit shy for the first half of the year so all of our so called playmakers were getting swallowed up. Honestly it all changed when Bouk allowed himself to be who he could be. He changed it all with his confidence and opened the floor. Even the guys who couldn’t be “heroes” suddenly were when the time came. No one ever wanted to be a hero per se they just wanted to win and try to make that play but it took changes by DH and Bouk to change the mindset.

This.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom