Quotes from Today's Practice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quotes from Today's Practice

Reaction Score
Jared Terrell at URI, Latif Rivers and Naofall Folahan at Wagner

At URI, Matthews, Martin, Garrett, and Dowtin all started as freshmen but not from the start
Akok started game 1 but he was a redshirt freshman.

Reaction Score
I don't have any animus or malice towards RJ but I am concerned about UConn wanting to go deep in the NCAA with a PG who can't force the tempo. He's below average in height, arm span, speed and jumping. He's a bit stocky and can shoot the ball from deep. But man do I wish there was another guard who could play and clearly make RJ the second best PG on the roster.
You would have hated the El Amin years.

Reaction Score
RJ might have the mindset to push the ball. He just doesn't have the ability.

Seriously? Put RJ, KO and Taliek on the foul line and have them spring to the next foul line and RJ is decidedly in third place.

I don't have any animus or malice towards RJ but I am concerned about UConn wanting to go deep in the NCAA with a PG who can't force the tempo. He's below average in height, arm span, speed and jumping. He's a bit stocky and can shoot the ball from deep. But man do I wish there was another guard who could play and clearly make RJ the second best PG on the roster.

Pushing the pace has little to do with his end-to-end speed. It's about accurate hit ahead passes and a mentality. You aren't head down sprinting with the ball in your hands as a PG.

Reaction Score
Coaches like to say pushing the pace is from defensive stops, rebounds etc but that’s only part of it. It is more about game planning and strategy. I don’t think this team will play super fast, especially if we are posting with Sanogo a lot but I think it will be faster than the last couple of seasons.
Agree, running is a mindset. Jim Calhoun was a student of the Red Auerbach/Bill Russell approach. They would even run off of made baskets. Jim had a drill Chief use to watch where guys would take the ball and wings would fill the lanes resulting in layups and back the other way with the ball rarely touching the floor. Donny Marshall running the lanes from the wing was a thing of beauty. But, from a practical in game viewpoint an unselfish PG with jets is key. Jim use to say if guys thought they would touch the ball they would consistently run. That type of game would play to Jackson’s strengths and I think Gaffney and Martin would adjust well to it. Hawkins would get open dagger looks for his jump shot as a result of the team running. Adana job wound be to get the rebound and then run a straight line to the front of the rim down the other end. The challenge for Danny is to figure out how to run but still have a control comfort level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pushing the pace has little to do with his end-to-end speed. It's about accurate hit ahead passes and a mentality. You aren't head down sprinting with the ball in your hands as a PG.
I agree it’s a mentality and includes passing but if you think it’s not helpful to also have a PG with the ball who has jets, you are kidding yourself. Ultimately, so often it’s about passing or taking it to the hole once the defense commits itself and nothing makes that happen better than a clever PG that puts pressure on and breaks down a defense with his speed. Tiny Archibald was a classic example of that. No one said anything about head down - are you coaching 5th graders?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You forgot Khalid El-Amin when you mentioned PG's who are above average height, arm span, speed and jumping.

RJ can do it. This roster is loaded, they need to believe. The talent and hard work is there. Stay healthy and believe in yourself. In basketball that goes a long way. RJ didn't believe he could do it last year, you could see it in his face all year. When he was at Howard he had that killer instinct, you could also see it in his face. We got this. This team needs some cockiness in them and you know what I hope we have slug fests. We are deeper then almost everyone and our shooting is our weakness. Here's hoping we see some OBE battles this year.

I didn't forget KEA. He too was quicker and better on the run. And KEA was a much higher level player than RJ. KEA was a top level recruit, McDs AA and, as a sophomore, was the PG on a national championship team. RJ isn't that same class.

Maybe it's not intentional but your posts come across with a legitimate hatred for RJ

legitimate hatred? Really? Have I ever said anything bad about his character or his effort? I just don't think he is the type of player who leads a top level Elite 8 or better team.

Stay tuned

I hope so and I hope I am wrong.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I didn't forget KEA. He too was quicker and better on the run. And KEA was a much higher level player than RJ. KEA was a top level recruit, McDs AA and, as a sophomore, was the PG on a national championship team. RJ isn't that same class.

legitimate hatred? Really? Have I ever said anything bad about his character or his effort? I just don't think he is the type of player who leads a top level Elite 8 or better team.

I hope so and I hope I am wrong.
The odds are in your favor if you judge every player by starting on championship teams. But there should really be more variables considered when judging the ability of a starter.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The odds are in your favor if you judge every player by starting on championship teams. But there should really be more variables considered when judging the ability of a starter.

I originally just stuck to comparing RJ to the other two guards mentioned- Taliek and KO. Someone else brought up KEA and I was responding to it.

Look at UConn PG's of the past 30 years- Smith, George, KO, Droron, Ricky, KEA, Taliek, AJ, Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Jalen, Alterique and RJ. RJ is clearly towards the lower tier of speed, size and athleticism.

I think he is a competent passer and definitely lost assists last seasons when players fumbled nice passes from him, but I don't think he is elite in his court vision to make up for average (at best) measurables.

If UConn can run some nice inside out sets, reverse the ball and have a good shooter on the court opposite of RJ I think he'll shoot really well and that's when he is at his best. As I said in other threads I want him more as a complimentary scorer at 3rd or 4th each game. He may end up being the second leading scorer for the season but rarely be the second leading scorer in each game.

Reaction Score
RJ is not the athlete that KO or Taliek and most of the others are. He doesn’t have the combination of size, strength, speed and ups. That seems unarguable.

However, he has more offensive skills than a lot of those on the list, including KO and Taliek. Obviously not than KEA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
RJ is not the athlete that KO or Taliek and most of the others are. He doesn’t have the combination of size, strength, speed and ups. That seems unarguable.

However, he has more offensive skills than a lot of those on the list, including KO and Taliek. Obviously not than KEA.

If you are referencing the list I provided, (Look at UConn PG's of the past 30 years- Smith, George, KO, Droron, Ricky, KEA, Taliek, AJ, Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Jalen, Alterique and RJ).

Who else besides Taliek, KO and Alterique would you consider RJ to have better offensive skills?

pj

Reaction Score
Has Dan ever started a freshman at the beginning of the season? Sounds like Hawkins has been extremely impressive if he ends up starting this early

Hawkins seems like a genuine talent, but probably what's driving this is that he complements the other likely starters better than AJ or anyone else. We need his outside shooting. He'll probably start soon if not immediately.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Coaches like to say pushing the pace is from defensive stops, rebounds etc but that’s only part of it. It is more about game planning and strategy. I don’t think this team will play super fast, especially if we are posting with Sanogo a lot but I think it will be faster than the last couple of seasons.
Look for AJ to release on the shot. He’s going to be the guy to hit on the break.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
RJ might have the mindset to push the ball. He just doesn't have the ability.

Seriously? Put RJ, KO and Taliek on the foul line and have them spring to the next foul line and RJ is decidedly in third place.

You really think pushing the pace is a footspeed issue? It is for the guys getting up court, and we have some guys who can fly. Magic Johnson was the best ever and he wasn't exactly fast. It's all mental, and it's not just PG, it's everyone. Get a defensive rebound or a steal and immediately think of making an outlet pass to start the break. Think it, look for it, if is there, execute it. RJ isn't the problem. Sanogo, Martin and Whaley are going to need to start the break most of the time.

I do think RJ and our other guys bringing the ball up after a made basket need to do it more quickly. I think you will see Jackson bringing it up some of the time.

Mostly it's about coaches being ok with the mistakes that occur when you play fast. Ollie wasn't. So far Hurley hasn't been. I don't think Calhoun was late in his career. If Hurley is going to chew a player out for a long outlet pass that becomes a turnover, guys won't make the attempt and we become slow.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Marcus Williams always gets forgotten when talking UConn point guards. Was a good one too. Like Doron, a great passer up the court to facilitate fast break even though he was not the most dynamic athlete.

I knew I was missing someone between Taliek and AJ. Price.

Reaction Score
You really think pushing the pace is a footspeed issue? It is for the guys getting up court, and we have some guys who can fly. Magic Johnson was the best ever and he wasn't exactly fast. It's all mental, and it's not just PG, it's everyone. Get a defensive rebound or a steal and immediately think of making an outlet pass to start the break. Think it, look for it, if is there, execute it. RJ isn't the problem. Sanogo, Martin and Whaley are going to need to start the break most of the time.

I do think RJ and our other guys bringing the ball up after a made basket need to do it more quickly. I think you will see Jackson bringing it up some of the time.

Mostly it's about coaches being ok with the mistakes that occur when you play fast. Ollie wasn't. So far Hurley hasn't been. I don't think Calhoun was late in his career. If Hurley is going to chew a player out for a long outlet pass that becomes a turnover, guys won't make the attempt and we become slow.

Preach.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Yes, speed absolutely matters when court vision is normal. The ball has to move up the court somehow. If you can't pass it up the court, you have to be fast.

I was also waiting for someone to bring up Magic. Earlier this thread @Huskyforlife said it's always a good place to start when you compare everyone to a Nat'l championship PG. I guess using the greatest PG ever and top 3 NBA player all-time is a good comparison too. I'll make it simple for you. RJ Cole is no Magic Johnson. He's no KEA either.

If you are going to lack measurables, you better have elite vision- see Doron Sheffer or Marcus Williams. Or Magic Johnson. They could thread a pass 30' up the court no problem. RJ can't do that either.

There's no need to make RJ in to some intersteller superstar. He is what he is and what we saw last year. He may improve incrementally this year. I hope he does. He may make a huge leap. I think that's unrealistic but if he does, I"ll gladly eat crow and cheer him on.

Reaction Score
If you are referencing the list I provided, (Look at UConn PG's of the past 30 years- Smith, George, KO, Droron, Ricky, KEA, Taliek, AJ, Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Jalen, Alterique and RJ).

Who else besides Taliek, KO and Alterique would you consider RJ to have better offensive skills?
Add Tate and Ricky Moore. That’s half your list

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Add Tate and Ricky Moore. That’s half your list

I like you math. 4 is half of 12.

And I'd agree that RJ is better offensively than Tate, Ricky, KO and Taliek.

Someone else mentioned Marcus Williams should be on the list. I'd put him slightly above RJ but numerically they are pretty close offensively.

Reaction Score
Yes, speed absolutely matters when court vision is normal. The ball has to move up the court somehow. If you can't pass it up the court, you have to be fast.

I was also waiting for someone to bring up Magic. Earlier this thread @Huskyforlife said it's always a good place to start when you compare everyone to a Nat'l championship PG. I guess using the greatest PG ever and top 3 NBA player all-time is a good comparison too. I'll make it simple for you. RJ Cole is no Magic Johnson. He's no KEA either.

If you are going to lack measurables, you better have elite vision- see Doron Sheffer or Marcus Williams. Or Magic Johnson. They could thread a pass 30' up the court no problem. RJ can't do that either.

There's no need to make RJ in to some intersteller superstar. He is what he is and what we saw last year. He may improve incrementally this year. I hope he does. He may make a huge leap. I think that's unrealistic but if he does, I"ll gladly eat crow and cheer him on.
You should really quit while you're way behind on this argument, it's a losing one for you. It has to be intentional at this point with how much you're ignoring when people respond to you

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom