Quotes from Today's Practice | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Quotes from Today's Practice

Reaction Score
He can make 3 point shots. What other guard is doing that consistently for us? Thought so.
He shot 38%. Gaff shot 36%. From what we hear Hawkins might be the best shooter of the group

Reaction Score
He shot 38%. Gaff shot 36%. From what we hear Hawkins might be the best shooter of the group
Right but Cole took and made many more shots than Gaffney, and I hope you're right about Hawkins but we haven't seen it yet.

Reaction Score
Ricky.
I saw Ricky offensively star in the first half of the 1999 NC against Duke. I also remember Ricky and Iverson square off in person, it was one of the most amazing displays of speed I truly have ever seen on a basketball court. True, defense was Ricky’s strength and years later when AI was a star in The League, he was asked who played the best defense on him and to the reporter’s surprise he mentioned a guy who did not even play in the NBA - Ricky Moore. I never could inderstand why some team in his division didn’t just carry Ricky to harass Allen for 10-15 minutes a game when they played.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw Ricky offensively star in the first half of the 1999 NC against Duke. I also remember Ricky and Iverson square off in person, it was one of the most amazing displays of speed I truly have ever seen on a basketball court. True, defense was Ricky’s strength and years later when AI was a star in The League, he was asked who played the best defense on him and to the reporter’s surprise he mentioned a guy who did not even play in the NBA - Ricky Moore. I never could inderstand why some team in his division didn’t just carry Ricky to harass Allen for 10-15 minutes a game when they played.
Ricky was quite a talented offensive player in HS. JC sold him on his value to UConn teams as a defensive stopper/glue guy-which he was exceptional at.

Soft spoken dude whose actions spoke louder than his words. Clutch performer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I still cringe when I think of Gillespie posting RJ down low last year.

We need Martin or Jackson to trap Gillespie every time he tries that this year. If the refs aren't going to call the obvious, multiple offensive fouls, then we can't just let him keep using that move.

Reaction Score
We have to play smart D on Collin G.. We have defensive help for RJ if CG tries to isolate on RJ.

CG is not an elite athlete but he is smart. He and Jay W work the refs really well and get plenty of favorable calls.

Reaction Score
Ricky was quite a talented offensive player in HS. JC sold him on his value to UConn teams as a defensive stopper/glue guy-which he was exceptional at.

Ricky Moore is a winner with the greatest of competitive hearts. We don't win a 1999 Natty without him.

Reaction Score
How can so many focus on a PG or any players foot speed in terms of a TEAMs ability to push the ball and play fast break offense?

1. At the next practice every one of these posters lines up on baseline and dribbles downcourt as fast as they can. Timed.
2. Then have them do it again, but this time they race an outlet pass from Jackson to Cole who takes one dribble and feeds to Sanogo.
I suspect it will turn out that the ball can move faster than anyone can dribble.

Reaction Score
How can so many focus on a PG or any players foot speed in terms of a TEAMs ability to push the ball and play fast break offense?

1. At the next practice every one of these posters lines up on baseline and dribbles downcourt as fast as they can. Timed.
2. Then have them do it again, but this time they race an outlet pass from Jackson to Cole who takes one dribble and feeds to Sanogo.
I suspect it will turn out that the ball can move faster than anyone can dribble.

I used to do this when I was working with the freshman team and I was still coaching. If you do it right, it can make a pretty good message to the team about moving the ball with the pass.

Reaction Score
We have to play smart D on Collin G.. We have defensive help for RJ if CG tries to isolate on RJ.

CG is not an elite athlete but he is smart. He and Jay W work the refs really well and get plenty of favorable calls.
What Jay Wright teaches his guards to do (and his team in general) so well is utilizing ball fakes, jump stops, and elite footwork. Sure Gillespie isn’t a “great athlete” but it gets back to not needing elite speed to be an efficient point guard. He gets to his spots, changes speeds, and keeps defenders on their heels. Damn impressive watching what Villanova does with their guards on the block. You can tell most guards aren’t prepared for it and aren’t exactly sure how to defend it.

Reaction Score
RJ might have the mindset to push the ball. He just doesn't have the ability.

Seriously? Put RJ, KO and Taliek on the foul line and have them spring to the next foul line and RJ is decidedly in third place.

I don't have any animus or malice towards RJ but I am concerned about UConn wanting to go deep in the NCAA with a PG who can't force the tempo. He's below average in height, arm span, speed and jumping. He's a bit stocky and can shoot the ball from deep. But man do I wish there was another guard who could play and clearly make RJ the second best PG on the roster.
Huh. Sounds like KEA. And gosh, UConn was terrible when he was PG, I guess.

Reaction Score
Marcus Williams always gets forgotten when talking UConn point guards. Was a good one too. Like Doron, a great passer up the court to facilitate fast break even though he was not the most dynamic athlete.
Indeed. And his lack of athleticism is likely a major contributor to him not having much of an NBA career. Which is why those things aren't the be-all, end-all in college hoops. RJ will be just fine and I'm sure they can run just fine with him at PG.

Reaction Score

Ricky’s dad is a great guy too. Had a nice conversation with him before the OSU game. He had a good feel for the mindset of the team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

On the real world of basketball you either need someone with very good to elite vision to pass the ball vertically up the court. AJ iso oh UConn player who can jump levels of players transitioning down the court with a pass.

So, yes, the basics are if you can't pass the ball down the court, speed with the ball is your next option.

Why this confuses Uconn's fans with regards to this roster, I don't know nor will I try to convince them otherwise.

Reaction Score

^^ This. A teams ability to run consists of rebounding, everyone running and one or two extra passes including the outlet unless you have someone like Kevin Love rebounding the ball. Jackson will be key component of our transition game when he's in.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is pretty athletic, I have never seen a guy hide it so well in games, except for some glimpses. Maybe being adverse to risk taking as you suggest is part of it? The MD game put it on display on a big stage. He needs to display it consistently but he does have the ability.

Reaction Score

I agree to a certain extent but if the someone on the defense gets back then you need a push guy to get the defense to commit, thus leaving someone open.

Reaction Score
DHam was able to rebound the ball, push it down court and get a lay up, the definition of a one man fastbreak. And he he did it regularly. Not the fastest guy there out there but very fast with the ball.
This is what I think AJ can do

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom