Quotes and stats from Creighton's Marquette post game | The Boneyard

Quotes and stats from Creighton's Marquette post game

Reaction Score
Coach Jim Flanery: " we have a tremendous opportunity in 40 hours or less " (i.e. UCONN!)
Carly Bachelor (10 points) " we have the energy, depth, and intangibles"
another player : "one of our biggest assests is our DEPTH" ( they play ten or eleven player
a game )
Morgan Maly 12 points Lauren Jensen 15 points Tantum Rebo 7 points 6 assists
Creighton's BENCH has outscored the opposition by 177 to 52 in the last 6 games!
Creigthon outrebounded Marquette by 11 . But Creighton had 18 turnovers.
The game highlights showed a lot of spirit, speed, and full court defensive pressure,
as well as scoring from the outside, drives, and multiple steals and some good
high to low passing. I see the key to the game will be our BIGS and overall defense...
and not letting Creighton stay in the game ( beware of a 4 th quarter UCONN let down with
Creighton's depth and energy/ethusiasm ). Let the games begin! GO UCONN! Z

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Creighton has improved significantly from last season and Flanery is an excellent coach. Normally, I wouldn’t concern myself with UConn’s ability to win this game. But the fact that UConn hasn’t played in 21 days, struggling to even field enough players for a decent practice causes me to worry about the potential for an unprecedented upset by the Blue Jays.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think folks very much underestimate
the precariosness of our position
Re: Geno...we have 6 1/2 players

Takes aggressive defense out of the equation

They're all happily lining up for their shot at taking down
what might really be the paper tiger

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Two major long term streaks are on the line: 1. Not losing two games in a row, and 2. Not losing conference game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

The good news for UConn is that Creighton has no size to speak of and will not present a low post challenge for UConn's Bigs. They play aggressive defense and move the ball well on offense, depending on knocking down perimeter shots to beat opposing teams. UConn should be able to manage without getting players into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Looks like they should be from Southern California.
The two tallest players are both 6’1”. If I see ONO wander out to the top of the key, there may be a bit of throw-up in my mouth. 2 guards - 3 bigs…and beat them easy.
1641659327719.jpeg

Reaction Score
Foul trouble will be a key. They have a lot of players to throw at our bigs in the key to generate fouls. If ONO can stay in the game, her defense around the post will give them trouble.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Looks like they should be from Southern California.
The two tallest players are both 6’1”. If I see ONO wander out to the top of the key, there may be a bit of throw-up in my mouth. 2 guards - 3 bigs…and beat them easy.
View attachment 72320
I’m fine with Liv at the high post, assuming she’s feeding the ball to either Dorka or Aaliyah in the low post.

Reaction Score
I wanna see a double low post with Caroline at the elbow. Pass to Dorka, Liv, and Aaliyah. Once they pack it in we GOT to hit some three's. Maybe we can break 80.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The good news for UConn is that Creighton has no size to speak of and will not present a low post challenge for UConn's Bigs. They play aggressive defense and move the ball well on offense, depending on knocking down perimeter shots to beat opposing teams. UConn should be able to manage without getting players into foul trouble.
Normally I would agree with you, but other teams who are smaller have shown an effective blueprint for how to overcome that. Pack the post - double team constantly - and dare UCONN to hit outside shots. At this time, we literally have no healthy consistent 3-point threat(s).

It's pretty easy (for a solid team) to neutralize our inside strength when we have little to no outside shooting. :(

And before anyone says "Caroline"... our best healthy 3-point shooter is Dorka at 33%. All our guards are worse than that (including Paige).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Normally I would agree with you, but other teams who are smaller have shown an effective blueprint for how to overcome that. Pack the post - double team constantly - and dare UCONN to hit outside shots. At this time, we literally have no healthy consistent 3-point threat(s).

It's pretty easy (for a solid team) to neutralize our inside strength when we have little to no outside shooting. :(

And before anyone says "Caroline"... our best healthy 3-point shooter is Dorka at 33%. All our guards are worse than that (including Paige).
The 3 UConn losses at the hands of SC, GT & Louisville all came at the hands of teams with size. My greatest concern right now is the lack of practice time with a full squad, with the potential for UConn to struggle with execution against a well coached opponent.

Reaction Score
I’ll be sad if we lose but let’s face it, it may go in the books as a win but they (and everyone will know) it is actually a “happenstance” win. If they win and start celebrating I’ll understand but unfortunately they’ll always know it was really the circumstances that allowed them to win. (Maybe they don’t care) I still think we win anyway but I certainly won’t lose any sleep if we don’t. All streaks come to an end at some point, it’s just too bad when you are unable to field your usual team in defense of that streak. I really don’t care that much about the conference streak but I will be very sad about the consecutive losses one. That, imo will be among the longest standing records in women’s basketball. One hesitates to call any record “unbreakable” but I believe that one is close.

Reaction Score

Yeah, there are stats and there are stats. While the numbers may say Dorka is a better three point shooter than Caroline, I seriously doubt you’d find many people that would bet on those numbers remaining that way. That is a picture perfect example of how stats can lie!

Reaction Score
I’m fine with Liv at the high post, assuming she’s feeding the ball to either Dorka or Aaliyah in the low post.
Currently, I think the best performance with a "3 BIG" line-up would be ONO, Dorka, and Caroline [@ 6' 2" she is taller than Creighton's 'Bigs'], with CW and Nika/Momma E to keep the speed and drives to the basketball going. CW should be fearless against a team whose biggest BIG is 6' 1", and it will be her performance that wins the day tomorrow, with solid performances by Dorka, Caroline, and Momma E. ONO will own the lane with blocks, disruption and assists. Hopefully, AE will be efficient in her shooting, and a beast on rebounds in her 15 - 20 minutes.

It will not be pretty for most of the game, but the Huskies will work hard and make shots when it counts in the fourth quarter.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Creighton has improved significantly from last season and Flanery is an excellent coach. Normally, I wouldn’t concern myself with UConn’s ability to win this game. But the fact that UConn hasn’t played in 21 days, struggling to even field enough players for a decent practice causes me to worry about the potential for an unprecedented upset by the Blue Jays.
Don't they practice with guys? What year was it when Breanna sent out the word they needed players, 2013.

Reaction Score
I watched the Creighton vs Marquette (thanks Flohoops for sticking me with that year). Creighton shot better from the outside and Marquette was just unable to hit anything including layups. The refs could be a major factor as both of those teams love the flop which was not called in that game at all. No blood - no foul basically (a big exaggerated here). Neither team should be a problem unless UConn is forced to play with 4.

The guys are not yet on campus to provide support for the team. I didn't realize they didn't come back early over breaks like the team does.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yeah, there are stats and there are stats. While the numbers may say Dorka is a better three point shooter than Caroline, I seriously doubt you’d find many people that would bet on those numbers remaining that way. That is a picture perfect example of how stats can lie!
That was my point. Dorka is one of our best post players is also our best 3-point shooter not named Azzi. It's not like she's going to camp out beyond the 3-point line and break zones or packed in defense.

Reaction Score
Two major long term streaks are on the line: 1. Not losing two games in a row, and 2. Not losing conference game.
Streaks are just streaks, the important one is NC, you could add FF's to that. As has been written, Streaks are recorded and meant to be broken. I never keep track of Streaks, unless it my longevity streak.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't they practice with guys? What year was it when Breanna sent out the word they needed players, 2013.
The practice players will not be back on campus until January 29, two weeks later than planned due to UConn’s decision to go virtual for the first 2 weeks of the spring semester.

Reaction Score
That was my point. Dorka is one of our best post players is also our best 3-point shooter not named Azzi. It's not like she's going to camp out beyond the 3-point line and break zones or packed in defense.
She, Dorka, has proven you are correct. She can hit the occasional 3. I'm not sure she can do it with a guard (tall) on her. We have not seen a "streak" from her. We actually have not seen her as a good to better post. Her minutes, and "moments", are needed but to think she can carry a game hasn't yet been seen. ONO, with all my complaints related to her thinness, is the best Post Uconn has (unless one on the bench shows up).

Reaction Score
I don’t get all this pre game negativity. UCONN will put very good players on the floor. The same players that started when the season began (except 1), and the same - possibly plus Nika that started in their last game. Let’s stop the pre-game excuses. They are the better team. If they lose, let the post game bashing begin. No Rust, no exhaustion, no inexperience. No excuses. We have the best players and -supposedly the best coach. So, go out and win the damn thing.

Reaction Score
I

I agree with your skeptical sentiments. I feel like we're teetering on the edge. I started a thread, that you responded smartly to, and very few could get past the snarkiness to express something smart. How can we not be concerned about our standing in the BE.
BTW I think Geno’s attitude and actions during last year’s Covid affected season was nothing short of spectacular. True leadership. Takes it’s toll on a person!

Reaction Score
Coach Jim Flanery: " we have a tremendous opportunity in 40 hours or less " (i.e. UCONN!)
Carly Bachelor (10 points) " we have the energy, depth, and intangibles"
another player : "one of our biggest assests is our DEPTH" ( they play ten or eleven player
a game )
Morgan Maly 12 points Lauren Jensen 15 points Tantum Rebo 7 points 6 assists
Creighton's BENCH has outscored the opposition by 177 to 52 in the last 6 games!
Creigthon outrebounded Marquette by 11 . But Creighton had 18 turnovers.
The game highlights showed a lot of spirit, speed, and full court defensive pressure,
as well as scoring from the outside, drives, and multiple steals and some good
high to low passing. I see the key to the game will be our BIGS and overall defense...
and not letting Creighton stay in the game ( beware of a 4 th quarter UCONN let down with
Creighton's depth and energy/ethusiasm ). Let the games begin! GO UCONN! Z
The chance for Creighton to beat the Huskies, (FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER?) must have their juices flowing. But Amarie not ready? Muhl gets 15 minutes tops? Subbing in the assistant coaches? We stay in a Zone? It's a chance for the remaining all americans, and their coaches to do some upber preparations. It could happen.
Happy New Year.

Reaction Score
Great comments by all. I am just looking forward to the game. Whatever happens, happens. The goal is for players to keep getting better, staying healthy or recovering, and putting the pieces in play for deep tournament runs in the both the Big East and NCAA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom