Quote from Hurley about Solo and Jayden | The Boneyard

Quote from Hurley about Solo and Jayden

Reaction Score
he’s always been a straight shooter.

I can't tell if this is serious. Reading into what Hurley says about player's is fool's gold. Hurley notoriously has 3 layers of meaning to everything he says. He's anything BUT a straight shooter about what is going on with the team. Good coaches never are this time of year.

It's a motivational tool. Locker room note material. Maybe Solo and Jayden just need to be hyped up right now for whatever reason. Or maybe Jaylin or Mahaney has been slacking a bit and he's using it as fuel.

Reaction Score
He sees them every day at practice.

Of course, he would know.

And, it is motivational to the players named and spurs them on, which is not a bad thing. Also, it is motivational for the other players to remain at the top of their game to earn playing time.

All good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's anything BUT a straight shooter about what is going on with the team. Good coaches never are this time of year.

It's a motivational tool. Locker room note material. Maybe Solo and Jayden just need to be hyped up right now for whatever reason. Or maybe Jaylin or Mahaney has been slacking a bit and he's using it as fuel.
I disagree. Hurley uses coach-speak less than any other coach I can remember. If he says these guys are doing that well, I'm thinking they are in fact, doing well.

Reaction Score
I can't tell if this is serious. Reading into what Hurley says about player's is fool's gold. Hurley notoriously has 3 layers of meaning to everything he says. He's anything BUT a straight shooter about what is going on with the team. Good coaches never are this time of year.

I think he is straight with his assessment but is tactful in how he delivers his assessment; and I think that’s seen as “three layers of meaning” but as someone who has listened to him often, I feel like I always get the gist of what he’s saying.

Reaction Score

this may very well be true, but Hurley can be a straight shooter and at the same time maestro of motivational speeches.

The famous quotes "you'd better get us now" or "We are bullet proof" are both true and a motivational rally/call to the team to perform up and live to its billings.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Solo will be in the starting lineup.
If you asked me a month ago I would have thought Mahaney but now I think it’s a safe bet that Solo will be starting. Seems like Mahaney isn’t 100% at the level we need him to be yet, but that’s probably expected given how complex our system is. It took Newton a while to figure things out too

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Said this in another thread but I continue to wonder how the only guy who went to an NBA camp and has been getting recognition practice recognition all summer finds minutes on this team.

He plays the same position Mahaney and Liam would man at the 2-3 and if Stewart is a starter I don’t know where he fits coming off the bench unless it’s a 1-3 change with Mahaney, Liam, and Ross subbing for Diarra, Solo, and Stewart (probably just answered my own question).

If we legitimately did that and went 9 deep it would be a first in the Hurley era.

Reaction Score

Given his track record of walking the walk, I tend to believe him... What say you, fellow Huskies fan?

But it's scary to think we are not even getting to Liam, Alex, Diarra, Samson, J-Stew, Aidan, Tarris...

Those of us that went to summer open practice saw much-improved Solo and Ross. So I'm a believer.

We have so much talent on this roster it's absolute insanity.

Reaction Score
So excited to see what Solo can do next year. Was listening to a Top Dogs interview with Karaban and AK said that Solo looks like the best shooter on the team during practice. Pair that with him being an absolute high flying tank, and that’s a DANGEROUS player

Hesitant on believing the Ross top 20 pick hype, but if Ross sees real NBA potential for himself then it’ll drive him to compete even harder for minutes between him and McNeeley/Karaban/Stewart. Everyone ends up better off with that level of competition

awy

Reaction Score
ross has the length and frame to be nba projectable, and hurley was trying to get him to play with more intensity on defense to be that 3 and D wing type. he's very in tune with the system and makes good decisions, just needs playing time.

Reaction Score
Hurley used to hype the hell out of how Richie Springs was playing in practice but never played him. Solo is going to be great for us this season whether he starts or not. Ross is a huge mystery

Reaction Score
If Ross is that good this season....LOL. That'd mean no one is beating us again.

Reaction Score
Unless we're going to a full 10 man rotation I'm skeptical of reading too much into these quotes. This is about the time of year every team has 11 guys that are looking better than ever. The Ball hype is real though, and he is going to start

Reaction Score
Those of us that went to summer open practice saw much-improved Solo and Ross. So I'm a believer.

We have so much talent on this roster it's absolute insanity.
Saw flashes of it last year. If the game has slowed down for them, both will be a problem for opponents this year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Said this in another thread but I continue to wonder how the only guy who went to an NBA camp and has been getting recognition practice recognition all summer finds minutes on this team.

He plays the same position Mahaney and Liam would man at the 2-3 and if Stewart is a starter I don’t know where he fits coming off the bench unless it’s a 1-3 change with Mahaney, Liam, and Ross subbing for Diarra, Solo, and Stewart (probably just answered my own question).

If we legitimately did that and went 9 deep it would be a first in the Hurley era.

Someone (at least one) is going to get fewer minutes than they deserve. There's no getting around it.

Reaction Score
Ross' biggest liability last year was lack of strength for his size and skill set. If he is physically stronger, he could be impactful.

Ball? Last year Hurley said he was one of the best shooters in practice but it did not carry over to game situations. If he can be more consistent shooting from the perimeter, he could be one of the better players on the team.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Someone (at least one) is going to get fewer minutes than they deserve. There's no getting around it.
In all candor I believe that it is safe to say that everyone who is not a center will warrant more minutes than he will receive this upcoming season and there is a strong likelyhood that even the two centers may be able to make a serious case that each warrants a lot more than the 20 minutes per game each should receive.

I will double down on what I posted months ago:

Injuries aside, outside of Karaban, no player will start every game.

At least until the stretch run of the BE regular season we will run a deeper rotation than we have seen under Hurley.

We have more talent at players 9-12 than we have ever had here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom