Quote from Hurley about Solo and Jayden | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Quote from Hurley about Solo and Jayden

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
To be fair to Hurley, he said Ross had an awesome practice, not that he's been practicing all off season like a future top 20 pick. I think the point was to remind fans Ross has talent, even if he's near the end of our rotation.

The Ball stuff is just obvious at this point, he's starting and looks to be our next breakout sophomore star.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've been saying for months Solo is gonna bust out this year similar to how Hawkins did his sophomore year.

If Solo can get to 16-20 mpg and 9-11 ppg, I'll be thrilled. Anything better than that is really bad for UConn opponents.

Reaction Score
Solo’s ceiling has always been very high. His athletic ability is highest on team, when you consider standard measurables like wingspan and vertical. He has a really soft touch, ball comes off his hand really pure.

His challenge has been the mental side and confidence. He tends to take ill advised shots, and lacks some consistency with little things like setting his feet squarely. He’s the kind of kid that can hit a 3 that looks like he can hit the next ten, then airball one. His handle is a little loose, in part due to his wingspan as his dribble sometimes feels far from his body. He does a bit too much staring on both ends rather than being consistently active. Hasn’t felt like the offense has clicked for him through last season as part of the orchestra. If he can get comfortable and confident on these things, tidey up, he will sky rocket. I’m really excited to see him this season.

Reaction Score
To be fair to Hurley, he said Ross had an awesome practice, not that he's been practicing all off season like a future top 20 pick. I think the point was to remind fans Ross has talent, even if he's near the end of our rotation.

The Ball stuff is just obvious at this point, he's starting and looks to be our next breakout sophomore star.
Hurley also commented in the summer practice video that Ross had taken a big step forward.

Reaction Score
Solo’s ceiling has always been very high. His athletic ability is highest on team, when you consider standard measurables like wingspan and vertical. He has a really soft touch, ball comes off his hand really pure.

His challenge has been the mental side and confidence. He tends to take ill advised shots, and lacks some consistency with little things like setting his feet squarely. He’s the kind of kid that can hit a 3 that looks like he can hit the next ten, then airball one. His handle is a little loose, in part due to his wingspan as his dribble sometimes feels far from his body. He does a bit too much staring on both ends rather than being consistently active. Hasn’t felt like the offense has clicked for him through last season as part of the orchestra. If he can get comfortable and confident on these things, tidey up, he will sky rocket. I’m really excited to see him this season.

I think most of this is right on. He has a little bit of Jerome Dyson in his game. He gets into the game by forcing things. I am hoping that more experience will translate into a better understanding of what the team needs from him.

Reaction Score

So basically he was a normal freshman. ;)

Reaction Score
I think most of this is right on. He has a little bit of Jerome Dyson in his game. He gets into the game by forcing things. I am hoping that more experience will translate into a better understanding of what the team needs from him.
I forget which game it was (either the Elite 8 game against Illinois or Final Four game against Alabama) but Solo was in the game late during mop-up time and he was trying his hardest to make Sportscenter's Top 10 plays as he attempted a poster dunk twice but was either blocked or missed it both times. LOL
He has freakish athleticism and skills...just needs for it to all come together between the ears.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I forget which game it was (either the Elite 8 game against Illinois or Final Four game against Alabama) but Solo was in the game late during mop-up time and he was trying his hardest to make Sportscenter's Top 10 plays as he attempted a poster dunk twice but was either blocked or missed it both times. LOL
He has freakish athleticism and skills...just needs for it to all come together between the ears.
I wouldn’t put too much thought into a what a freshman was doing during garbage time minutes in a blowout.

Anybody, and I mean anybody including Andrew Hurley, is just thinking about getting buckets to be able to say they got in the stat sheet.

I’ve been saying this all summer that when he has a solidified and actual role he’ll look much better and play a lot more confident.

Reaction Score

Just quoting your comment as it's representative of many similar ones about Solo in this thread and on the Yard since Solo's been here.

Without being at practice or in the locker room (which I think we all meet this criteria, unless there are staff or players posting on here incognito), we have no idea whether Solo was given the "green light" to try and go something amazing during his garbage time minutes, and/or instructed to "just shoot if you're open because you need to get more comfortable with in-game shooting"

My point is, many on here are saying he needs to "take smarter shots", "drive to the lane more", etc. When in reality, he may have just been doing what he was told/expected to do with his minutes at the time.

Reaction Score
Just quoting your comment as it's representative of many similar ones about Solo in this thread and on the Yard since Solo's been here.

Without being at practice or in the locker room (which I think we all meet this criteria, unless there are staff or players posting on here incognito), we have no idea whether Solo was given the "green light" to try and go something amazing during his garbage time minutes, and/or instructed to "just shoot if you're open because you need to get more comfortable with in-game shooting"

My point is, many on here are saying he needs to "take smarter shots", "drive to the lane more", etc. When in reality, he may have just been doing what he was told/expected to do with his minutes at the time.
I was in no way criticizing his shot choice or anything...I just found it funny he was trying to posterize the other team during those last few minutes. I'm sure he must have had the green light from Hurley, otherwise he wouldn't have tried it. Especially multiple times.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When in reality, he may have just been doing what he was told/expected to do with his minutes at the time.
I dunno, there were a couple of times where he looked like he was playing a different sheet of music than the others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom