Quinnipiac Bobcats (Update> hires Nova's Baker Dunleavy) | The Boneyard

Quinnipiac Bobcats (Update> hires Nova's Baker Dunleavy)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't know Mau - the things he did and/or reported he did are really weird, and, what I consider, to be a highly questionable character flaw. Now I see he is working with youngsters and reading the article you attached, he seems to be doing a representative job. However, any D1 program AD really has to be very careful and do some heavy duty due diligence if hiring him.
I can't see a school like the Q doing this, but what do I know?

Reaction Score
Sunday Gravy: Sorting through possible Tom Moore replacements at Quinnipiac

>>The New York Post reported on Thursday that disgraced former Rutgers coach Mike Rice is “a leading candidate” to replace Moore at Quinnipiac. Rice, you may recall, was fired in 2013 when video surfaced of him physically and verbally abusing players at practice.

No one we spoke to could confirm whether there’s real interest of if the rumor was floated by Rice’s agent. But it’s hard to believe Quinnipiac would seriously consider this route, especially after it went through a similar scandal just two years ago with women’s hockey coach Rick Seeley, fired in the wake of allegations of verbal and physical abuse. Seeley, who’d just signed a contract extension, filed a wrongful termination suit against Quinnipiac.

There’s no understating the importance of this decision for Amodio, hired in 2015 specifically to upgrade the men’s basketball program. Rice as a candidate here seems preposterous. The very existence of that video, easily pulled up off YouTube by any rival assistant coach, is recruiting poison against any school that hires Rice.

Quinnipiac can’t afford the risk. And there are far more attractive candidates with no extra baggage sitting in the school’s backyard.

• Iona assistant Jared Grasso, an 2002 Quinnipiac graduate, and Hamden’s Scott Burrell, a former Quinnipiac assistant now the head man at Southern Connecticut State, are two potential replacements for Moore.

And if Matt Kingsley, Yale’s associate head coach, isn’t on Quinnipiac’s radar, he should be. The Hamden native and former Notre Dame-West Haven standout is considered one of the nation’s best mid-major recruiters.

• Two names believed to be on Quinnipiac’s short list are longtime Albany coach Will Brown and Vermont coach John Becker. Both have enjoyed success in America East. Quinnipiac, sources say, is ponying up an annual salary that will make the job even more attractive.<<

Reaction Score
We should hire him as an assistant!

Quinnipiac wants to go to the Big East?

Reaction Score
My son played in an AAU tourney a few years back against a Mike Rice coached team. He was exactly the same on the sideline as he was at Rutgers. He was getting in kids faces, yelling at the refs, etc.

I was sitting with the parents of the team by chance. They all loved Mike Rice and said it was the best thing that happened to their sons. These were the moms speaking. All of them said that their former coaches were too soft on the kids and Rice was making them tough and men. This was an Elite U17 tourney.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac getting closer to hiring next men’s basketball coach

>>Among those believed to be considered strongly for the job are Jared Grasso, the Iona associate head coach who was a star player and assistant coach at Quinnipiac; Vermont head coach John Becker, a Fairfield native; Xavier associate head coach Travis Steele; St. Bonaventure's head coach Mark Schmidt; former UConn star and Quinnipiac assistant and current Southern Connecticut head coach Scott Burrell; Albany head man Will Brown and Robert Morris's Andrew Toole.

And a new name has recently emerged: Villanova associate head coach Baker Dunleavy. The former Villanova player is the son of longtime NBA coach and current Tulane head man Mike Dunleavy, Sr.

Amodio is also said to be high on Winthrop head coach Pat Kelsey, who was a player and assistant at Xavier when Amodio was there. But Kelsey reportedly is interested in returning to the Ohio area. A New York Post report that former Rutgers head coach Mike Rice was a top candidate has been labeled as nothing short of ridiculous by multiple sources.

The program may also have interest in Monmouth head coach King Rice, though he apparently is on the short list for both the UMass and Duquesne jobs. Quinnipiac apparently had some interest in Penn State head coach Pat Chambers, who was rumored to be on shaky ground. But Penn State recently announced it would bring Chambers back.<<

Reaction Score
Sunday Gravy: Sorting through possible Tom Moore replacements at Quinnipiac

>>• Two names believed to be on Quinnipiac’s short list are longtime Albany coach Will Brown and Vermont coach John Becker. Both have enjoyed success in America East. Quinnipiac, sources say, is ponying up an annual salary that will make the job even more attractive.<<

I was really impressed with Will Brown when they made us collectively defecate ourselves in '06. That team ran good stuff and made us look ordinary for 30 minutes that night. Outplayed us all over the court. He had a few down years after that, but has won 20+ ever since. Kind of surprised a Mid-Major has not taken him on yet.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Desmond Conner‏ @desmondconner 12m 12 minutes ago
Hearing Southern Connecticut Coach HC Scott Burrell and Iona Associate HC Jared Grasso have interviewed for vacant @QU_MBB job

Desmond Conner‏ @desmondconner 11m 11 minutes ago
Also hearing either Burrell and Grasso are @QU_MBB players choices

Desmond Conner‏ @desmondconner 7m 7 minutes ago
Also hearing Andy Toole, #Robert Morris, Will Brown, #Albany and Baker Dunleavy at #Villanova are in the mix strong

Desmond Conner‏ @desmondconner 3m 3 minutes ago
No decision likely on @QU_MBB HC position until @QU_WBB season ends. Should go quicky after that multiple sources said...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe it's this guy.

geno+auriemma+uconn+quinnipiac+shirt.jpg

Reaction Score
I recently went to an SCSU game and saw a whole bunch of QU players in the stands. They are definitely still tight with Burrell.

I don't know much about QU basketball, but I would be stoked if Burrell got hired.

Reaction Score
Desmond Conner‏ @desmondconner 12m 12 minutes ago
Hearing Southern Connecticut Coach HC Scott Burrell and Iona Associate HC Jared Grasso have interviewed for vacant @QU_MBB job

Desmond Conner‏ @desmondconner 11m 11 minutes ago
Also hearing either Burrell and Grasso are @QU_MBB players choices

Desmond Conner‏ @desmondconner 7m 7 minutes ago
Also hearing Andy Toole, #Robert Morris, Will Brown, #Albany and Baker Dunleavy at #Villanova are in the mix strong

Desmond Conner‏ @desmondconner 3m 3 minutes ago
No decision likely on @QU_MBB HC position until @QU_WBB season ends. Should go quicky after that multiple sources said...

From today: Quinnipiac Close To Filling Men's Basketball Position

>>None of the candidates, however, could legitimately play golf with Michael Jordan one day and Ray Allen the next, except Burrell. And what recruit wouldn't be fazed – or dazed – by that? Burrell, part of the Bulls' NBA championship team in 1998, also grew up in Hamden, played at UConn and was on staff as an assistant at Quinnipiac under Moore. He was also named the ECAC coach of the year at Southern in 2016. It is believed that Burrell was the last or one of the last candidates to be interviewed.<<

Reaction Score
Seems like a good hire.. Likely he can recruit well as its same region as 'Nova.

Reaction Score
I would ask if any of these guys can play but there's a reason why Moore got canned.

Yup that's it... they were the team's top 3 scorers. ;)

>>Dixon and Kiss received high praise as a dynamic duo throughout a lowly season for Quinnipiac. The two combined for a total of ten Metro Atlantic Rookie of the Week awards throughout the year and were unanimously voted to a league’s All-Rookie Team. Dixon was also named the MAAC Rookie of the Year.

Together, Dixon and Kiss combined to average 29.8 points per game, making them was fifth-highest scoring freshmen duo in the country at the Division I level. Dixon led the team by scoring 512 points this season which was the ninth-highest total in Quinnipiac history. Kiss finished behind him, putting up 413 points of his own.

Daniels, a native of Meriden, Conn., was coming off of his best season as a Bobcat, dropping 403 points and starting all of the team’s 31 games. He was the first local recruit signed by Quinnipiac since the 2010-11 season, coming out of Hillhouse High School and leading the Academics to a Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference Class LL Title in 2013.<<

Reaction Score
chaise daniels went to hillhouse h.s. i am pretty sure.

6'9" kid putting up 10, 6, and 2 blocks. i would take him!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom