Quick Thoughts - Army-UConn game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Quick Thoughts - Army-UConn game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No offense but we just won two games in a row. this team is for real. we controlled line of scrimage and dominate the time of possession. we will go bowlng this year. enjoy!
sean

Reaction Score
Any word on Marquise Vann? Heard he might have a lower leg injury. Wonder if it's been lingering a while. You don't hear much about him at all during games.

They need to fix the point after kick problem. That's gonna bite them in the arse one of these weekends.

I too was unimpressed by the average length of kick offs.

Sherriffs was impressive today. He coughed it up once but more than made up for it.

Receivers looked great today.

Obi hurt the team big time twice. Unsportsmanlike and the blown cover that led to a TD for Army.

O-line let Army get way too much penetration. I was a little surprised by that.

Defense gave up one more TD than I thought they would. I'd give them a B. But if they only give up 17 next week that grade could go up.

Reaction Score
RJ is a load to bring down. It kills me to watch him dance in the backfield knowing he can run through guys if he goes full speed through holes.

That would require holes . . .

Reaction Score
Their dline looked like our secondary size wise. Should have crushed them
This is why i believe we could potentially be holding back guys. First two weeks we played against undersized teams. My gut tells me we may open some eyes after next week's game, win or lose. If we stay aggressive on ofense more consistently in those first 2 games, imo, we throttle both opponents. We didnt do that for some reason. We have the ability, form the little I've seen so far, to consistently move the football up and down the field.
Wonder what we have up our sleeve? Whatever it is, things look pretty encouraging for this season

Reaction Score
I am not concerned by the low margins of victory. This is a very young team with a new offensive system in place. First few weeks there are going to be rust and a learning curve involved since the kids are seeing live play for The first time at the college level in a lot of cases.

This next stretch of games is going to be brutal. I wouldn't be stunned if Verducci wasn't keeping a lot of the powder dry and working on fundamentals the last two weeks .

Reaction Score
When Army first came out of the tunnel: Looked like they only brought a 40 man travel roster, also looked undersized (except for that monster at the safety position). I felt at the start that UConn would wear down the cadets with size & numbers. Didn't think the contest would end with the score as close as the final outcome. Still, 2-0 is a great start to the season. On to the next game to see how this team reacts in a hostile environment.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At the moment wins are more important than style points. One thing that sticks out from yesterday is that Army had ~ 260 yards total offense and two plays (both of which could easily have been stopped) accounted for half of that. Those two plays and a turnover also was all of Army's scoring.

We aren't yet ready to compete with programs that have their sights set on the college football playoff but I think we now have reason to believe that the possibility of competing with those teams a few years down the road is not merely a pipe dream.

Reaction Score
There should be some concern over the offensive line. Samara completely missed the block on the block extra point and the defender came in untouched. It is hard to understand how that could ever happen on an extra point. On at least one loss yardage run play half the line moved on the snap of the ball and the other half did not which resulted in two army players penetrated our line with hardly any resistance. I love Verducci so far but I can't believe he was happy over our offensive line play.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone (on the staff) is happy with the offensive line play but I imagine they will be a bit more diplomatic in how they deal with the kids than P-GDL were.

Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
At the moment wins are more important than style points. One thing that sticks out from yesterday is that Army had ~ 260 yards total offense and two plays (both of which could easily have been stopped) accounted for half of that. Those two plays and a turnover also was all of Army's scoring. We aren't yet ready to compete with programs that have their sights set on the college football playoff but I think we now have reason to believe that the possibility of competing with those teams a few years down the road is not merely a pipe dream.

Next year may not be a pipe dream and the year after, look out---- if we are healthy. A lot to work with here. This staff is recruiting very well with lots of new guys contributing right away.

Reaction Score
A lot of positives so far especially at the quarterback position. Noel Thomas is exciting to watch and Beals looks he could a great speed receiver. Obi Melifonwu play continues to mystifies most fans. He did make some great one on one tackles out there but again his pass coverage is not very strong. Nonetheless, we got the two wins we had to get and now we need to find 4 more wins our there to go bowling. Baby steps, but we are moving in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom