Quick Thoughts - Army-UConn game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quick Thoughts - Army-UConn game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I liked the blue jerseys and white pants combo, the unis looked good just need to improve the decal.
For those who remember CL82's Diaco impersonation about building and eating on a table of golden footballs...Kenton Adeyemi came running out of the tunnel waving a golden football in one hand.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The defense was very good. Gave up two big plays otherwise they played great. BS connects on 76% of his passes. When is the last time a QB hit that high of. %. He also had a few timely runs.

The O line had trouble with Kelly who had three sacks.
Overall a solid game and. Very good game plan.

Delayed blitzes were poorly diagnosed. Also Johnson got run over early in the game trying to pick up a LB.

Reaction Score
Any news on Marquis Vann? Looked like he had a hamstring injury. Walked very slowly off the field and after the game.

Reaction Score
The O-line can't run block. BS has reminded us of what competent QB play looks like. The taste Casey gave us two years ago was sadly too short. His under throwing of receivers will need to improve, but i like this kid a lot. Beals had an easy TD on that third quarter post route had it been thrown to him or just ahead.

The D-line isn't explosive but they aren't bad. Adams is Real, Obi is a roller coaster. That last play was dreadful, but he made some terrific tackles in the open field. He wraps up really well.

I hope someone tells the Special Teams the season started. The punting has been outstanding, but everything else is a dumpster fire.

Reaction Score
Shirrefs is VERY smart with the foootball. He will keep this team in many games with his smarts.

Newsome is making a case for becoming a bigger part of the offense.

Ron Johnson is good on stretch plays. On our first FG, if he turned it up and ran hard on stretch play to right he may have scored, instead he hesitated a,bit and was TFL by the backside pursuit. He is good going north and south and on cut backs off the stretch.

Beals may be star one day. Great hands catches the ball really clean.

Team needs more discipline on D, Obi makes mental mistakes, Stewart makes physical ones.

Saw Vann and Walsh on the field together alot. I,suspect is cause Junior Joseph struggled in pass coverage last week. Overall I think our LBS struggle in that area.
Should have read RJ is not good on stretch plays.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I liked the blue jerseys and white pants combo, the unis looked good just need to improve the decal.
For those who remember CL82's Diaco impersonation about building and eating on a table of golden footballs...Kenton Adeyemi came running out of the tunnel waving a golden football in one hand.
Agree on the white pants. Much preferred to blue/blue, especially with the white helmets. I am ambivalent about this year's jersey design, but I think the jerseys look sharper with the white pants for some reason.

I totally forgot to look for the table leg, thanks for noticing the golden football.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Should have read RJ is not good on stretch plays.
I think the oline is getting out quicked when they have to reach for their assignments. they look much better when they can fire out straight ahead.

Reaction Score
Pretty good game overall. We played better against the option style offense. Not great, but it was better. The running game was okay, but I thought they'd be better against such a small defensive front.

What stuck out to me the most is how many freshman and sophomore playmakers we have. The future is bright folks.

Reaction Score
I think the oline is getting out quicked when they have to reach for their assignments. they look much better when they can fire out straight ahead.
That is part of it, but RJ doesn't seem to have that quick, explosive burst to hit the seam/hole with a quick burst. Its like he is hesitating. I'm telling you, on the first FG, the crease was there but the backside pursuit tackled him before he could turn it up field. Maybe more reps will help. Right now, he Arkeel splitting reps seems to be working.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
yeah I see that too. On the stretch you need to seal off inside and then kick out. we're not getting any kind of seal and inside pursuit is running everything down.

Reaction Score
I loved the uniforms today.I am not a fan of blue on blue or white on white.

Reaction Score
I think Andrew Adams brought out the table leg today during the captains' introduction.

Reaction Score
That is part of it, but RJ doesn't seem to have that quick, explosive burst to hit the seam/hole with a quick burst. Its like he is hesitating. I'm telling you, on the first FG, the crease was there but the backside pursuit tackled him before he could turn it up field. Maybe more reps will help. Right now, he Arkeel splitting reps seems to be working.
RJ is a load to bring down. It kills me to watch him dance in the backfield knowing he can run through guys if he goes full speed through holes. Arkeel had a hell of a game today though, so elusive.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Delayed blitzes were poorly diagnosed. Also Johnson got run over early in the game trying to pick up a LB.

I'm starting to worry we telegraph a pass play is coming when Max lines up in the backfield. He's the only back who can pass block and pass block well. Gotta give the kid a few more touches. Not only to mix it up but because he's earned them.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm starting to worry we telegraph a pass play is coming when Max lines up in the backfield. He's the only back who can pass block and pass block well. Gotta give the kid a few more touches. Not only to mix it up but because he's earned them.
Max might get some touches next week at Johnson's expense.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Max might get some touches next week at Johnson's expense.

Was thinking the same thing when I was typing that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree, Whaler, but Army must feel differently. They've got billboards all over FFld. Cty.

With all the respect in the world for the young men and women who attend West Point - they can't compete in modern college football. Attending a game at West Point is a great time but UConn needs to be light years ahead of Army West Point on the field.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I hope I'm wrong but I remember Donald Brown's (RS)sophomore season, he overdid it in the weight room the off season leading up to that year and lost some quickness, leading to Andre Dixon (temporarily) surpassing him. It is quite possible that RJ is currently in the same boat.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I think Andrew Adams brought out the table leg today during the captains' introduction.

We need you to attend more games because you observe things no one else does.

I log on to this damn website at least 200x a day. Most of the time it's just to see if any of the latest posts on the homepage seem exciting.

That being said, I'm not in on all of the "inside" jokes here.

I'm 45 and when I was at UCONN if a guy pulled out his "table leg" it was usually at a party where the only thing on the menu was Everclear and Kool-Aid served in a metal garbage can with a green trash bag liner. Parties in dorms with an actual cafeteria usually added ice and sliced fruit.

duck those dorms!

Anyhow, what's the AA table leg reference referring to?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I log on to this damn website at least 200x a day. Most of the time it's just to see if any of the latest posts on the homepage seem exciting.

That being said, I'm not in on all of the "inside" jokes here.

I'm 45 and when I was at UCONN if a guy pulled out his "table leg" it was usually at a party where the only thing on the menu was Everclear and Kool-Aid served in a metal garbage can with a green trash bag liner. Parties in dorms with an actual cafeteria usually added ice and sliced fruit.

duck those dorms!

Anyhow, what's the AA table leg reference referring to?
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/what-is-up-with-the-table-leg.80093/

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Like others said Shirreffs performance has been great and his ability to make something out of nothing is what's keeping this team in the win column. Last few years, those pressure situations on the QB results in sacks, not so far this season. His ability to scramble and find open receivers has been pretty impressive.

I have also been happy with the use of more Tight Ends. I always felt last season that we needed to use the TE more in the passing game. Verducci seems to be doing that.

Interesting thing was something the announcers said. They said that Verducci said that the plays are not really scripted and instead are more dictated on the flow of the game. He also went on to say that Shirreffs ability to be calm and run the plays has been a huge help. It sounds like Shirreffs is the man and really has the team behind him. It also sounds like Verducci is having some freedom in play calling because Shirreffs can improv if needed. Really happy with our QB play.

WR has been a pleasant surprise too. I really liked everything I read about Beals and he seems to be living up to it. Think he's going to be a star on this team very soon.

Very happy to be 2-0 and want to enjoy it before our balloons are popped and we come crashing back to earth next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom