Quick reactions to game today | The Boneyard

Quick reactions to game today

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Daniels - unstoppable against most forwards from 15 foot in. No need to defend him behind the line. Maybe he should stay 15 feet and in. Still needs a lot of work on defense.

Giffey - needs to stop helping so much on defense, because he has a tendency to get himself out of position.

Boatright - overall played very well, but needs to dish more on his drives. BU was not even pretending to defend the pass when Boatright would drive. Giffey and Calhoun were often wide open on the wings and Boatright would take a twisting floater off a full speed dribble.

Napier - was in complete control of the game from start to finish. A few of his misses were late clock bailout shots.

Nolan - invisible at times. rebounding was OK but BU didn't have any height. I can't believe he played 19 minutes. I didn't even notice he was on the court for most of that time.

Calhoun - handle is improving, but still has a ways to go. Until he has a legit handle for a top 25 team starting guard, there are limits to how Ollie can use him.

Brimah - lots of potential, but getting him more minutes right now is not realistic. He just fouls too much. He is fun to watch though.

Kromah - solid performance. Good sub. Missed layup is inexcusable.

Olander - good off the bench. I like Olander more in 10-15 minutes a game than starting. I also think Olander has slimmed down a bit, and is more productive as a result.

Samuels - surprise DNP. I would like to see Napier's minutes in the low 30's, and i thought there were opportunities to do that today. When Napier went down at the 3 point line with about 5 minutes left I held my breath. Stats aren't going to help Napier's draft status. Only a deep March run will do that.

Reaction Score
OMG I forgot about Samuel.....must have been reprimanded a bit not see the floor!

Reaction Score
I would add that BU completely overplayed Niels on the perimeter (clearly they practiced this in their zone), but it resulted in at least two wide open three pointers each for both Shabazz and Ryan.

KO needs to promote th fact the Brimah doesn't foul on those blocks because he got a pretty raw deal on some of those calls.

Reactions: caw

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Agree on most points. Specifically Napier. I know some here were questioning his lack of shots, but he Shabazz is playing flawless basketball and knows exactly what he is doing.

I'm a little concerned over the Samuels DNP. Hoping it was just an oversight, as it would be nice to get him a little experience early in the season and more importantly limit Napiers minutes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Giffey will get a lot of attention outside for the rest of the year, but he had some open looks and Boatright and Daniels didn't kick it out. Both ended up having good shooting games, although Boatright in particular hit some really tough shots to get to 6 for 11.

Giffey has almost gotten worse defensively because he is always looking to double team. I don't know if that was a coaching decision by Ollie yesterday, but Giffey was caught in no man's land a couple of times.

Reaction Score
I agree that Olander should get about 10 minutes. He was a complete defensive liability yesterday.

Reaction Score
Agree on most points. Specifically Napier. I know some here were questioning his lack of shots, but he Shabazz is playing flawless basketball and knows exactly what he is doing.

I'm a little concerned over the Samuels DNP. Hoping it was just an oversight, as it would be nice to get him a little experience early in the season and more importantly limit Napiers minutes.
I'd be a lot more concerned with our coaching staff if Samuel's failure to play was an "oversight". Who could have made the oversight other than KO???

Reaction Score
I agree with you on Boat, I do like how patient he's playing but man he misses A LOT of open guys on the wings. BU did a great job of playing the 3 point line but there were a number of instances when Giffey and Calhoun were open and he'll either not see them or pass it too late and the D will have closed out by then. It seems like at times he just doesn't have peripheral vision.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'd be a lot more concerned with our coaching staff if Samuel's failure to play was an "oversight". Who could have made the oversight other than KO???

Fair point. I doubt that KO simply forgot to play him, but it's weird he didn't get in.

Reaction Score
The game was moving in the wrong direction for the last 5 minutes of the first half and the first 5 minutes of the second half. Usually he sees minutes in last 5-10 of the first half if we are playing well. With the game looking shaky in the second half KO is not taking out RB or SN if he can help it.

Reaction Score
The game was moving in the wrong direction for the last 5 minutes of the first half and the first 5 minutes of the second half. Usually he sees minutes in last 5-10 of the first half if we are playing well. With the game looking shaky in the second half KO is not taking out RB or SN if he can help it.

I think it's this. If we had been on cruise control up 20 in the second half, we would have seen Samuel for probably 5-8 minutes.

Honestly, I think yesterday's game provides insight into substitution patterns in close games -- Samuel might not see the floor at all.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree with you on Boat, I do like how patient he's playing but man he misses A LOT of open guys on the wings. BU did a great job of playing the 3 point line but there were a number of instances when Giffey and Calhoun were open and he'll either not see them or pass it too late and the D will have closed out by then. It seems like at times he just doesn't have peripheral vision.
This was first game I felt he didn't try to find the wings. If DD wasn't in such a funk and needed the opportunity to get out of the funk I would have been more concerned he didn't kick the ball out to the wings. I'm hoping to see some games where he does that.

Reaction Score
I
Daniels - unstoppable against most forwards from 15 foot in. No need to defend him behind the line. Maybe he should stay 15 feet and in. Still needs a lot of work on defense.

Giffey - needs to stop helping so much on defense, because he has a tendency to get himself out of position.

Boatright - overall played very well, but needs to dish more on his drives. BU was not even pretending to defend the pass when Boatright would drive. Giffey and Calhoun were often wide open on the wings and Boatright would take a twisting floater off a full speed dribble.

Napier - was in complete control of the game from start to finish. A few of his misses were late clock bailout shots.

Nolan - invisible at times. rebounding was OK but BU didn't have any height. I can't believe he played 19 minutes. I didn't even notice he was on the court for most of that time.

Calhoun - handle is improving, but still has a ways to go. Until he has a legit handle for a top 25 team starting guard, there are limits to how Ollie can use him.

Brimah - lots of potential, but getting him more minutes right now is not realistic. He just fouls too much. He is fun to watch though.

Kromah - solid performance. Good sub. Missed layup is inexcusable.

Olander - good off the bench. I like Olander more in 10-15 minutes a game than starting. I also think Olander has slimmed down a bit, and is more productive as a result.

Samuels - surprise DNP. I would like to see Napier's minutes in the low 30's, and i thought there were opportunities to do that today. When Napier went down at the 3 point line with about 5 minutes left I held my breath. Stats aren't going to help Napier's draft status. Only a deep March run will do that.
I doubt stats were a determining factor for leaving shabazz in there, if they were then the game against detroit would have seen him and possibly boatright both with triple doubles. Instead they sat for over 10 min

Reaction Score

Agree with everything you said except this. A run in March has next-to-nothing to do with Shabazz's draft stock--he is putting up some of the most impressive all-around stats in the country right now and has already proven himself as a clutch player. NBA teams will be judging the full sample size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom