Quick Question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun

Reaction Score
CBS said that it was her 10th game winning shot, the most ever.
Caitlin also surpassed Griner as the 4th highest scorer ever.
Norah O'Donell was super enthusiastic while reporting about her, she called Caitlin a baller.
That shot put WCBB on the national news.
It's a pre-lim to the Olympics.

Reaction Score
It is difficult to find evidence on-line but sometime in the early 90s the official rules for traveling were changed. When I played back in the 1980s when a pivot foot was established you were not allowed to raise it to take another step and now this is allowed. We were also only allowed two steps when driving to the basket, not on jump shots
When did she establish a pivot foot? When is raising your pivot foot allowed today? Are we watching the same clip? She dribbles the ball

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Step-back 3-point attempts are a staple of the NBA in the last 15 years or so, including for Steph Curry. How often have you heard "step back, Bobby Jack" uttered by ESPN announcers when they are talking over a highlight replay?

A few years ago there was discussion that the step-back shot inherently involves traveling and should be whistled by refs. That idea went absolutely nowhere for obvious reasons related to fan interest.

Reaction Score
Because it was such a publicly displayed shot, as it should be. I watched it over again. She took two small steps before the ball hit the floor with her left hand. (travel). Then she takes a large step back to get the space to release the shot. If thats acceptable, then ok...but a big in the lane will never get that "Large" step back to get a shot off. Needs to be clarified.

Reaction Score
In last nights game, Caitin Clark made a clutch "logo" three at the buzzer to beat Mich. St. When she did it, she took a step backward to get the shot off. I was always taught that a backwards step was travelling. If I am guarded, I can't take a step backward after I stop dribbling to make a pass, but is it allowed if I shoot it?
I watched the play a couple times and would have to say it was a legal shot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Better watch it again. There is no dribble. She catches and takes 3 steps into the shot. Left to right to left.

I see a dribble it is partially hidden by your body, but it's there. Now, if you want to argue That she lifted and then replaced her pivot foot prior to the dribble, you could be right. That's hard to see.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
'Interpretation' being the key word, BobbyJ... truly, basically refs just don't do a good job paying attention to the rules in lots of respects these days.
" . . . . these days." ????

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I see a dribble it is partially hidden by your body, but it's there. Now, if you want to argue That she lifted and then replaced her pivot foot prior to the dribble, you could be right. That's hard to see.
With you on this take...I see a dribble. Also see a step-back jumper that was going in the whole way.

Reaction Score
In last nights game, Caitin Clark made a clutch "logo" three at the buzzer to beat Mich. St. When she did it, she took a step backward to get the shot off. I was always taught that a backwards step was travelling. If I am guarded, I can't take a step backward after I stop dribbling to make a pass, but is it allowed if I shoot it?
It does help her to line up her shot. That’s why she does it.

PvP

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether she took two, three, or four steps, Clark is other worldly. I'm a huge UConn fan, but no one can match Clark's skill and clutch(ness) right now!
Really, no one???? I might just have to differ with you on that one.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom