Quick Question | The Boneyard

Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In last nights game, Caitin Clark made a clutch "logo" three at the buzzer to beat Mich. St. When she did it, she took a step backward to get the shot off. I was always taught that a backwards step was travelling. If I am guarded, I can't take a step backward after I stop dribbling to make a pass, but is it allowed if I shoot it?

Reaction Score
In last nights game, Caitin Clark made a clutch "logo" three at the buzzer to beat Mich. St. When she did it, she took a step backward to get the shot off. I was always taught that a backwards step was travelling. If I am guarded, I can't take a step backward after I stop dribbling to make a pass, but is it allowed if I shoot it?
Watch the video, it was actually 3 steps. Left-right-left. But it’s ok now since the NCAA has adopted the NBA interpretation of the rule.

Reaction Score
Watch the video, it was actually 3 steps. Left-right-left. But it’s ok now since the NCAA has adopted the NBA interpretation of the rule.
'Interpretation' being the key word, BobbyJ... truly, basically refs just don't do a good job paying attention to the rules in lots of respects these days.

Reaction Score
A few years ago, we had the infamous "point of emphasis" on traveling, and frivolous calls proliferated. It made the game tedious at times. Now it seems to have returned to the old custom. Of course, there's also room for some ambiguity on euro-steps and other such moves -- when exactly did the player pick up their dribble? -- one step and a leap can look like two steps and a leap.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
200.gif

Did Caitlin Clark take this kind of step?

Reaction Score
Just looked at it on YouTube. No that's not traveling. Not even close. Just a dribble and step-back. Perfectly legal.
Better watch it again. There is no dribble. She catches and takes 3 steps into the shot. Left to right to left.

Reaction Score
I will say… that shooting foul was NOT a shooting foul

Reaction Score
Totally fine, bounced it left handed, then took 2 steps back and launched it. I had to watch it 2-3 times.

Reaction Score
She established one dribble and then did a simple step back. You are correct you can’t stop dribbling and then take steps backwards, but you can dribble, pick up your dribble, and then take your two gather steps. Like a hop step going forward. You pick up your dribble and jump forward establishing your gather as you land on two feet. In this case she takes one dribble and hops backwards for a two step gather into a shot. Maybe you think she just caught the ball and jumped backwards? What you described is not what she did.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It is difficult to find evidence on-line but sometime in the early 90s the official rules for traveling were changed. When I played back in the 1980s when a pivot foot was established you were not allowed to raise it to take another step and now this is allowed. We were also only allowed two steps when driving to the basket, not on jump shots

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Watch it again. She catches, ball fakes slightly right, the ball never touches the floor, and then takes 3 steps before shooting.

I had to watch it at half speed. She takes 1 dribble with her left hand.

sun

Reaction Score
CBS Evening News is doing a feature about Caitlin's game winning shot before the end of tonight's broadcast.
At the beginning of the show they said see why she's one of the best players ever & showed the shot.
It was her 4th consecutive game scoring 35 points or more tying a 25 year WCBB record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom