Quick Post-Game Thoughts | The Boneyard

Quick Post-Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
  • This was one of the more satisfying wins we've had in years. We demolished UCF in every facet of the game, and it was especially gratifying because of the whole Civil Conflict shenanigans. Diaco got a lot of hate for creating a "rivalry," but the team clearly came out with a purpose today.
  • Shirreffs made good decisions with the ball. In previous weeks, I thought he looked to run too often, but he stayed in the pocket and made good throws all day long. He's the most promising QB we've had in ages, and I feel good about the program moving forward with him at the helm.
  • Newsome is a stud. He totaled 257 all-purpose yards and showcased his short-area quickness and good hands.
  • The O-Line still needs some work, but created some nice running lanes and is improving as the year progresses.
  • The defense looked good, per usual. After a shaky first drive, they completely shut down UCF until the game was well out of hand. With our defense, we can stay in nearly any game.
  • We're at three wins now, with a good chance of another victory next week over USF. If we can pull off two wins in the final five games, we'll be bowling. Hard to believe after the past few seasons and a fairly tough schedule.
The obvious caveat here is that UCF is really, really bad. But good football teams beat up bad teams, and that's exactly what we did today. And it was on the road. A lot to feel good about today. The ConFLiCT Trophy will remain in Connecticut for yet another year.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure USF will be a pushover. They had a good game this week against cuse.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure USF will be a pushover. They had a good game this week against cuse.
That and only lost by 7 to Memphis held them to lowest point total this season, and other two losses to FSU and Maryland. Hard to gauge them at this point imo, at least the game is at home definitely improved from last year as well though.

Reaction Score
Fear the pooch!

12140825_10154231212935744_2835841843810685593_n.jpg

Reaction Score
I loved the max protections and rolling the pocket. I thought it gave BS a few extra moments to find the open guy

Reaction Score
We made way too many mistakes early in the game. That being said, this was an extremely satisfying win. Should provide great momentum heading home for USF next week

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'll be nitpicky on 2 things.
1. UCF dropped a host of wide open passes. A better team would have made us pay. I think a number of them were third down plays and would have been for plus 10 yards on the play.
2. It was great seeing the 2nd string get in for the 4th quarter. Game experience is invaluable. My nitpick has to do with Boyle only throwing twice (I think it was only twice). I realize we were way up and that's probably why he didn't throw it much, but for a QB, just making hand-offs isn't getting game experience. You never know when we'll need him, especially with BS unable to slide feet first.

Reaction Score
The OL still is a work in progress. Still riddled with the usual miscues in the 1st half - false starts, penalties, not getting plays in on time, etc.

Biggest plays of the game were the INTs before the half that set up TDs. That finally broke the game open for us and after that, although they were playing a train wreck of an opponent, UConn looked sharper than they have all year. The offense and defense both looked great, especially once they had control of the game. Was a very good win for this team and gets a winning attitude back for them (I hope).

Reaction Score
Great to see them win big for a change but still way too many penalties on the offense, particularly the line. And at times they are still not even touching linebackers coming off the edge. Progress though, overall.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
1) 40-13, and we could have won by 50.
2) The guys will enjoy the flight back. :)
3) I think we beat Tulane and either ECU or USF ... we finish 5-7.
4) We're getting better, and the national perception (always behind reality) of our dumpster fire is slowly dying.

Reaction Score
Certainly not a perfect game but we have won and lost a few non perfect games this year.

Lots of good and bad film to watch this week. Good things to repeat and lots to correct.

Putting up 40 is huge in any D1 game. With our defense we don't need 40 to win every week. Same can't be said for many teams in AAC.

If we can continue to score in the 20s against ok teams and hold them under 20 we go bowling. That is within reach.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I was impressed and see improvement.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Key thing is that we are no longer one of the laughingstocks of college football which is the territory we were in for the past few years.

While we had some good moments / plays out there, the majority of this result was the complete ineptness of UCF. Starting with the safety, the many many dropped passes to wide open WRs, the punt fumble and the INTs thrown with no UCF player in the vicinity. I think we had 21 points off turnovers (plus the safety) which is great but I wouldn't be getting too exuberant about our offense's ability to sustain a drive on a long field.

We also had a ton of penalties on our end, particularly on the OL and BS was sacked another 4-5 times which isn't what you would expect if you just saw the final score.

But all that being said, UCF handed us the game and we took it. Arkeel had a great game (what a catch on that wheel route), BS was pretty solid overall, special teams was very good - I even saw us try to return a punt with blocking once!

Next week is so huge now. USF doesn't suck as much as many thought and neither do we. If we can pull out a win, 4-3 would look pretty damn good.

Reaction Score
If we can get a W vs USF, we have a good chance to get to 6 wins, which would be quite remarkable. Next week is one of those special weeks that really help turn a corner. Great to see the kids feast on a sizable victory today.

Reaction Score
2. It was great seeing the 2nd string get in for the 4th quarter. Game experience is invaluable. My nitpick has to do with Boyle only throwing twice (I think it was only twice). I realize we were way up and that's probably why he didn't throw it much, but for a QB, just making hand-offs isn't getting game experience. You never know when we'll need him, especially with BS unable to slide feet first.

Felt the same way. I also wanted to see some more blitzing after the game was in hand.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

Felt the same way. I also wanted to see some more blitzing after the game was in hand.
Boyles first throw was to the wide side to a back and it took about 20 minutes to get out there... I'm surprised we didn't see Anderson.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
didn't like passing up the 9 point lead on fourth and one. did like playing aggressively in the 3rd qtr and delivering the knockout. You can talk about how bad UCF is but a year ago we would've badded it up with them for a 3-0 game. If we build momentum from this 3, even 4, more wins are possible.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
didn't like passing up the 9 point lead on fourth and one. did like playing aggressively in the 3rd qtr and delivering the knockout. You can talk about how bad UCF is but a year ago we would've badded it up with them for a 3-0 game. If we build momentum from this 3, even 4, more wins are possible.
I didn't mind the call to go for it at all, just the play call itself a qb sneak from almost 2 yards out???

Reaction Score
The max protect looks have BS time to find open receivers down the field.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I didn't mind the call to go for it at all, just the play call itself a qb sneak from almost 2 yards out???
Spot on. The only way I QB sneak for 2 yards if if my interior line is absolutely mauling their dline, and that was not the case. Too many bodies in a small space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom