Quick look at last years Baylor UConn game. | The Boneyard

Quick look at last years Baylor UConn game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Funny story about the game last year. I was on vacation and in the airport coming home when the game was played. I was following on my laptop and was enjoying the game as Uconn built a 16 point lead. Gametracker was all of a sudden giving me a headache as the lead kept shrinking. I expected it to stop but Baylor finally got the lead. At that point, I had to board the plane and stop following the game. I couldn’t wait to get in my seat and check my phone for the final. I couldn’t believe it when I saw UConn won by one point. Such relief. I did remember to set the DVR before I left, so I watched the game in it’s entirety. Fun know how it ended.

I recently looked at the box score again and I was amazed by some of the strange stats that were part of the outcome but probably won’t happen on the 18th.

Hayes scored 16 points, but was 5-20 from the field and 0-7 on 3’s.
3 players for UConn took 56 of the 70 shots.
UConn took 26 more shots than Baylor but made only 1 more shot from the field.
Dolson played 12 minutes before fouling out.
Baylor was 16-28 on foul shots including 5-13 by Griner
Baylor shot 50% from the field and UConn shot 32% from the field.
Jones, a 5’11” guard for Baylor, had 14 rebounds.

Wow…some weird things happened in that game.

I would suggest that everyone just forget about that one. It has little to do with this years game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I definitely intend to forget UConn's shooting statistics from last year's game.

The 26 more shots UConn took were the result of Baylor FTs, UConn's 17 offensive rebounds and 24 Baylor turnovers. Based on the Tenn game, Baylor is still susceptible to giving up offensive rebounds, but seems to have reduced its turnovers. Griner has improved her FT shooting.

I look forward to reading your pre-game analysis DD. You have a lot of time to think about this one.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Another big difference is that Odyssey Sims was an unknown quantity at the time. She came off the bench and lit UConn up. I am assuming trying to neutralize Sims is a central part of the gameplan Geno et al are putting together this time around.

Obviously, Stef's experience level and conditioning are much better. She looked completely intimidated in the Novemeber 2010 matchup.

Bria, although she was a late-game hero who came up with eight huge points in a row for UConn, looked totally out of control for most of the game. That's something that her heroics at the game's conclusion cloud. Obviously, UConn will need a more complete pillar-to-post game from her this time, but one would expect that of a sophomore as opposed to a freshman playing her second game.

This game becomes a lot more winnable if Tiff doesn't have the kind of shooting performance she had against Baylor last time. Griner's presence is going to force her into more outside shots, however, so I wouldn't expect a stellar shooting night from her. Better than 25% will be good, especially with a lower volume of shots!

Caroline got good looks from long-range and made them against A&M. Boy would I like to see her hit those same shots against Baylor. I think she'll have the same opportunities.

UConn had a +10 turnover margin last time. I think this is an area where UConn can still come out ahead against Baylor. By how much is the big question.

KML gives you max effort and is mature beyond her years. From a shooting perspective, though, she's not as consistent as she's going to be. I'd sure love it if she had a hot streak for a stretch at least.

UConn is such a different team from early last season that yes, there's not too much you can draw from that game. Baylor is more intact, though Melissa Jones is a loss. She was a player who seemed to find a way to contribute (e.g., grabbing 14 boards in a game when her shots weren't falling).

I don't know that this will be the pretty game for casual fans that ESPN wants, but it sure as hell will be intense and high-energy. These two teams are going to get after it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Another big difference is that Odyssey Sims was an unknown quantity at the time. She came off the bench and lit UConn up. I am assuming trying to neutralize Sims is a central part of the gameplan Geno et al are putting together this time around.

I remember Geno saying after last year's game that among the defensive mistakes UConn made in the game was allowing Sims to get open for some corner 3s. Geno and the UConn coaches knew what Sims was capable of doing.

And this is what Gary Blair said about one of the things UConn needs to do to beat Baylor: "And don't let Odyssey Sims set up in that left corner. She'll wear it out over there."

Reaction Score
Again, the XL is a very difficult place to shoot with the deep background.......Ask TAM.......This UCONN team is so much better and deeper than last years team. Give Geno a year to prepare his thoughts and Baylor will be in trouble. Plus, he coached Britney and knows a lot more about her game.......Geno has been the Fox watch the hen house since last year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Bria, although she was a late-game hero who came up with eight huge points in a row for UConn, looked totally out of control for most of the game. That's something that her heroics at the game's conclusion cloud. Obviously, UConn will need a more complete pillar-to-post game from her this time, but one would expect that of a sophomore as opposed to a freshman playing her second game.
Even though Caroline has had some off games, offensively, her being back has taken a tremendous amount of pressure off Bria. Bria doesn't need to be the decision maker like she did last year. I don't know how many people how difficult that was for a freshman in only her third collegiate game against a National Championship contender. Caroline's game vs Texas A&M will help Bria even more, as she has established herself as another scoring threat that must be guarded.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Even though Caroline has had some off games, offensively, her being back has taken a tremendous amount of pressure off Bria. Bria doesn't need to be the decision maker like she did last year. I don't know how many people how difficult that was for a freshman in only her third collegiate game, and one against a National Championship contender. Caroline's game vs Texas A&M will help Bria even more, as she has established herself as another scoring threat that must be guarded.
Excellent points Nan. We can't minimize the fact that we had 2 freshman starters and one was the point guard with another freshman off the bench.

This years team seems a lot more prepared for whatever comes it's way.

Reaction Score
Again, the XL is a very difficult place to shoot with the deep background.......Ask TAM.......This UCONN team is so much better and deeper than last years team. Give Geno a year to prepare his thoughts and Baylor will be in trouble. Plus, he coached Britney and knows a lot more about her game.......Geno has been the Fox watch the hen house since last year.
I'm loving it!

So many people (no idea if you were one jsloanjr) on this board were so certain that the Huskies wouldn't be as good this year. Long way to go, but things look pretty good so far, don't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom