Questions re 2019 Center Prospects | The Boneyard

Questions re 2019 Center Prospects

Reaction Score
I wanted to start a discussion of the relative skills of our center prospects without derailing a thread further that is supposed to be on a particular one of our prospects.

Stats made a nice post awhile ago which was a table with Wahab, Mitchell, and Cockburn with multiple categories. They all showed up pretty well. I haven't seen full games with any of these guys to have my own opinion so I'm looking for yours.

This is what I have gleened so far;

Wahab seems to offer rim protection, some ability to score that needs refinement, and by certain reports, good speed to keep up with a fast paced game. People seem to think he has the most upside. I'm curious as to how you guys see him as a rebounder now, whether it is a long shot for him to own the paint in college, and most importantly, how foul prone is he? Is it likely he will have 2 fouls in 3 minutes of play and be on the bench for the rest of the half.

Cockburn has the strength, size, and stated desire to lead the country in rebounding. Certain posters have said he is not a rim protector, and that his hands need improvement. My sense is that he scores around the rim rather than scoring as a shooter. Is that correct? What are the chances of him not being foul prone? Does he already have the skill to set screens to get shooters open?

Mitchell offers offensive skill and multi level scoring with the jury out as to whether his deep shooting is deadly or just passable. He evidently has good elevation but doesn't jump quick. Certain reports say he has good hands and passes well so that you can play offense through him. Can he do the job defensively and rebounding?

I personally value a guy that can play his freshman year because he can be on the court without fouling. Which guy might that be? I also prefer a big with decent touch from the foul line. Are any of these guys particularly good or bad from the line, ie under 65%? Who do you see as the best rebounders, defenders, and screeners?

I'll be thrilled with any of them, just looking for your thoughts.

Reaction Score
I am starting to like Wahab more and more. Cockburn is really good and has size but the way the game is being played now will he be out on the court that much? Can he play when other teams go small and quick? Can he play when UConn wants to run and press constantly? Mitchell the same reasons as Cockburn but not as much. I think Mitchell is going to be soft. Something about his shoulders puts me off. I think Wahab is the most athletic out of the three and fits the best with the style of play I hope they play.

Reaction Score
I am starting to like Wahab more and more. Cockburn is really good and has size but the way the game is being played now will he be out on the court that much? Can he play when other teams go small and quick? Can he play when UConn wants to run and press constantly? Mitchell the same reasons as Cockburn but not as much. I think Mitchell is going to be soft. Something about his shoulders puts me off. I think Wahab is the most athletic out of the three and fits the best with the style of play I hope they play.

College players, coaches, and big man shooters aren't good enough yet to really make an effective on offense big have to sub out for defensive reasons. Plus college teams can actually crash the glass effectively on the offensive end due to the bigger talent disparity's, making offensive rebounders more important than in the NBA.

On the other side, from the videos I've seen Kofi looks to outlet pass quickly on rebounds, which would be a key for us. He can anchor the press or we can sub him out and put (hopefully) Akok at the 5 in pressing lineups.

Reaction Score
College players, coaches, and big man shooters aren't good enough yet to really make an effective on offense big have to sub out for defensive reasons. Plus college teams can actually crash the glass effectively on the offensive end due to the bigger talent disparity's, making offensive rebounders more important than in the NBA.

On the other side, from the videos I've seen Kofi looks to outlet pass quickly on rebounds, which would be a key for us. He can anchor the press or we can sub him out and put (hopefully) Akok at the 5 in pressing lineups.

AKAK at the back of a pressure defense would be a beast.

Reaction Score
Hoping for Cockburn solely because of his Patric Young-esque build. He’s a guy who imposes fear in the opponent with his presence alone.

pj

Reaction Score
Great summary @Ricker. I don't know anything with any confidence, but as a casual fan my impression is that Wahab does have the highest upside due to his length and ability to alter the game defensively. Kofi strikes me as a rare combination of space eater with height who can manhandle people when the refs swallow their whistles and is nimble enough to score effectively near the basket. I don't know how versatile he can be. Mitchell I don't know anything about but I do think you are asking the right questions. I'd also be thrilled with any of the three.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
the kid is an absolute manchild, he's a monster. You want to have him on your team and we need his size and aggressiveness badly

Reaction Score
Cockburn looks like a top-notch Cincinnati big man, which is exactly what I've envied the most about the Bearcats over the years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wanted to start a discussion of the relative skills of our center prospects without derailing a thread further that is supposed to be on a particular one of our prospects.

Stats made a nice post awhile ago which was a table with Wahab, Mitchell, and Cockburn with multiple categories. They all showed up pretty well. I haven't seen full games with any of these guys to have my own opinion so I'm looking for yours.

This is what I have gleened so far;

Wahab seems to offer rim protection, some ability to score that needs refinement, and by certain reports, good speed to keep up with a fast paced game. People seem to think he has the most upside. I'm curious as to how you guys see him as a rebounder now, whether it is a long shot for him to own the paint in college, and most importantly, how foul prone is he? Is it likely he will have 2 fouls in 3 minutes of play and be on the bench for the rest of the half.

Cockburn has the strength, size, and stated desire to lead the country in rebounding. Certain posters have said he is not a rim protector, and that his hands need improvement. My sense is that he scores around the rim rather than scoring as a shooter. Is that correct? What are the chances of him not being foul prone? Does he already have the skill to set screens to get shooters open?

Mitchell offers offensive skill and multi level scoring with the jury out as to whether his deep shooting is deadly or just passable. He evidently has good elevation but doesn't jump quick. Certain reports say he has good hands and passes well so that you can play offense through him. Can he do the job defensively and rebounding?

I personally value a guy that can play his freshman year because he can be on the court without fouling. Which guy might that be? I also prefer a big with decent touch from the foul line. Are any of these guys particularly good or bad from the line, ie under 65%? Who do you see as the best rebounders, defenders, and screeners?

I'll be thrilled with any of them, just looking for your thoughts.

Really want Kofi. One, I think he's got that Dejuan Blair vibe. Not in terms of style, but shorter beasts.

And two, I feel like Mitchell isn't coming regardless. Two,

Reaction Score
I can't see how time is our friend on Wahab, Akak and especially Mitchell. Cockburn seems as if he is taking his time, regardless.

Reaction Score
Remember the good ole days when we had a good center and didn't depend on a freshman to start.

It was nice to have the freshman come off the bench and work into the rotation.

We need bigs

Reaction Score
Remember the good ole days when we had a good center and didn't depend on a freshman to start.

It was nice to have the freshman come off the bench and work into the rotation.

We need bigs
That being said, josh Carlton with 4 years to get in shape and bulk up and 4 years of starting experience would be something

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority but I find Mitchell most intriguing. He can play at varying levels on the floor, has good hands, a soft touch, and a solid build. He's most likely a four year player and does all the little things that winning teams value (proper positioning, screening, outlet passing).

My concern with a kid like Kofi is that college (particularly since the Big East as we knew it no longer exists) is often not conducive to big bruising centers and they often spend a great deal of time on the bench due to inadvertent contact. With that said, sign me up regardless.

Wahab I have not seen play.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority but I find Mitchell most intriguing. He can play at varying levels on the floor, has good hands, a soft touch, and a solid build. He's most likely a four year player and does all the little things that winning teams value (proper positioning, screening, outlet passing).

My concern with a kid like Kofi is that college (particularly since the Big East as we knew it no longer exists) is often not conducive to big bruising centers and they often spend a great deal of time on the bench due to inadvertent contact. With that said, sign me up regardless.

Wahab I have not seen play.

Yes, and I loathe how basketball is becoming less physical than ballroom dancing.

Especially when guards just put their heads down and run into people out of control to get fouls.

Rebounding, and posting up are becoming less valuable. But protecting the rim will always always always be important. So gimme the rim protectors and figure the offense out.

Reaction Score
Kofi and the whispers of “bad hands” does frighten me. One of the most important attributes for a big and most of the time can’t be “taught” instead it’s a natural gift.

Give me the kid with good hands all day. Maybe the rumors are wrong because he is a man among boys.

Reaction Score
Yes, and I loathe how basketball is becoming less physical than ballroom dancing.

Especially when guards just put their heads down and run into people out of control to get fouls.

Rebounding, and posting up are becoming less valuable. But protecting the rim will always always always be important. So gimme the rim protectors and figure the offense out.

The post game in basketball is as physical, if not more, than years past.

Did you see embiid and baynes banging yesterday?

The perimeter game has freedom of movement. Players need to use their feet on D a lot more. Won't disagree with that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The perimeter game has freedom of movement. Players need to use their feet on D a lot more. Won't disagree with that.

The NBA is not the college game. He's absolutely right that guards are given preferential treatment when they blindly crash into bigs. The game needs more no calls, and more charges called. Even when moving, defenders need to be entitled to the space they occupy.

the Q

Reaction Score
The NBA is not the college game. He's absolutely right that guards are given preferential treatment when they blindly crash into bigs. The game needs more no calls, and more charges called. Even when moving, defenders need to be entitled to the space they occupy.

Technically they are. It’s just not always called that way.

Whcih is why they should make it easier for the refs. The second an offense player puts his head down, it’s no different than lowering his shoulder.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Technically they are. It’s just not always called that way.

Whcih is why they should make it easier for the refs. The second an offense player puts his head down, it’s no different than lowering his shoulder.

Yeah, that's what I mean by "need", "need" as actually called in the game. They need to focus more on who initiates the contact.

the Q

Reaction Score

Please. Look at the bs guys like Shaq had to deal with. I could probably post like 40 pics of guys fouling Shaq without breaking a sweat (basically 1 google search)

Shaq should’ve broken every league record for FT. But tv wouldn’t allow it.

And frankly, it’s not even as physical as Dajuan Blair, who might’ve epitomized BE basketball as much as anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom