questions asked to players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

questions asked to players

Reaction Score
If you have to "train" adults to "not respond" are you really treating them like adults?
These are young adults whose appreciation of the discipline and criticism that they are undergoing will surely grow as they get older. Older adults (these reporters for example) should appreciate this and realize that the best time to ask such question is not right after a game in which your coach thought you played poorly. Sadly the players answers were the most adult thing about this entire episode, and yes I'm including Geno scathing comments as part of the

ADULTS --come in all psychological modes--so yes ADULTS need to be trained NOT to answer. Not everyone is comfortable with a camera or mike thrust in their face--with someone demanding an answer. Christine had done a great Job. Politicians could use her course..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Well, with Coach Auriemma , he's my Coach, so when he coaches me I listen and try to do what he tells me. I've found our relationship works best when I listen to what he has to say. If you have a boss - you do have a boss, right? Well, then you know what I'm talking about." Sweet smile.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
CD influences the "girls" to be ladies and a lady is always tactful. 'Cept when the aint! :oops:

Reaction Score
Yes.
Interesting, and you are entitled to your own opinion, of course.

One can certainly argue, as you appear to do, that being confronted with Geno's words would bruise her feelings, OTOH, Geno's feelings are going to be out there in print and on YouTube for everyone in the world to see. Perhaps the greater bruise would be seeing it out there and knowing she has no way to reach all of the people who have read/seen it and drawn their own lasting conclusions. That would make most people feel even more helpless than being given an opportunity and turning it down because you don't want to offend the coach. I think it ought to be your choice, whether you are Stevens or Maya Moore or a practice squad player.

A state attorney general once stopped returning my calls when I was a reporter. I never knew why, but I kept calling to give him a chance to respond to developments that affected him. One day, after several years of this, he answered my call. Again, I never knew why, but he he continued returning my calls until he retired. Reporters are supposed to ask all parties for comment on something that affects them. At the AP, where I worked, our written instructions were to not only seek comment but to report any unsuccessful efforts as part of the story. It is a question of fairness to the subjects as well as to the readers.

That doesn't mean you stick a microphone in front of the grieving widow and ask "how does it feel?". But it does mean you give someone the chance to respond in any way she wishes to anything that reflects negatively on her -- even if she hasn't spoken to you the last 20 times you asked her something.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting, and you are entitled to your own opinion, of course.

One can certainly argue, as you appear to do, that being confronted with Geno's words would bruise her feelings, OTOH, Geno's feelings are going to be out there in print and on YouTube for everyone in the world to see. Perhaps the greater bruise would be seeing it out there and knowing she has no way to reach all of the people who have read/seen it and drawn their own lasting conclusions. That would make most people feel even more helpless than being given an opportunity and turning it down because you don't want to offend the coach. I think it ought to be your choice, whether you are Stevens or Maya Moore or a practice squad player.

A state attorney general once stopped returning my calls when I was a reporter. I never knew why, but I kept calling to give him a chance to respond to developments that affected him. One day, after several years of this, he answered my call. Again, I never knew why, but he he continued returning my calls until he retired. Reporters are supposed to ask all parties for comment on something that affects them. At the AP, where I worked, our written instructions were to not only seek comment but to report any unsuccessful efforts as part of the story. It is a question of fairness to the subjects as well as to the readers.

That doesn't mean you stick a microphone in front of the grieving widow and ask "how does it feel?". But it does mean you give someone the chance to respond in any way she wishes to anything that reflects negatively on her -- even if she hasn't spoken to you the last 20 times you asked her something.
My concern is not for a lack of hurt feeling but lack of utility. There is literally no value in Azura responding to a comment by Geno about giving the fans back thier money. BTW it was Kia responding to that question not Azura, I was mistaken. That question had nothing to do with how well or poorly Kia (or Azura) played in the game and therefore fails your stated criteria:"Reporters are supposed to ask all parties for comment on something that affects them."
Geno also siad it was not possible for Azura to give up more layup that she did in the game. That (Azura's performance) is absolutely appropriate for reporters to ask a question about.

Reaction Score
I have not gone back and listened to the interviews, so I could be wrong. But if I am reading the Courant's coverage correctly, Stevens' comment that "We just didn’t play the way we were supposed to play ... And even if we win but we don’t play UConn basketball, it doesn’t really feel like a win” was sandwiched between Geno's "if I could have it my way, I’d give every person who came their money back. That was the most disgraceful effort I’ve seen at Connecticut in 32 years I’ve been here.” and the writer's conclusion that "The defense was even more troubling, and Stevens, who was again brilliant on offense with 22 points on 9-for-11, took the most pointed criticism from Auriemma ... "

YMMV.

Reaction Score
CD influences the "girls" to be ladies and a lady is always tactful. 'Cept when the aint! :oops:
May I politely say that I despise the word 'ladies'? For me, it carries a paternalistic, pejorative connotation that implies behavior that is constrained by gender. I prefer to think that the program teaches behavior that is respectful and represents the school well at all times.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
May I politely say that I despise the word 'ladies'? For me, it carries a paternalistic, pejorative connotation that implies behavior that is constrained by gender. I prefer to think that the program teaches behavior that is respectful and represents the school well at all times.
You can say it, if fact you already have. I have no idea what you mean, because I have never heard the use of word lady to mean or imply any of those things.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
May I politely say that I am proud that my daughter and granddaughter are ladies who are not encumbered by trivialities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom