questions asked to players | The Boneyard

questions asked to players

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
they'll never say anything juicy about "Coach" or the freshman... its not nice how the reporters ask them such questions. It's a lot of pressure when you gotta make sure you say "the right thing". I watched Kia, Collier and Stevens and you can see how uncomfortable they were with some of the questions after the Tulsa game

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
they'll never say anything juicy about "Coach" or the freshman... its not nice how the reporters ask them such questions. It's a lot of pressure when you gotta make sure you say "the right thing". I watched Kia, Collier and Stevens and you can see how uncomfortable they were with some of the questions after the Tulsa game

Comes with the territory.

Reaction Score
Yup. It's a dance. The reporters know they have to ask some of those questions, and the players have been trained on how to respond. Then after the questions are asked and not answered, they move on. No biggie.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, I see no issue with this. These are technically adults, and they can choose not to respond, which they have been trained to do. Journalists wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't ask tough questions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, I see no issue with this. These are technically adults, and they can choose not to respond, which they have been trained to do. Journalists wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't ask tough questions.
If you have to "train" adults to "not respond" are you really treating them like adults?
These are young adults whose appreciation of the discipline and criticism that they are undergoing will surely grow as they get older. Older adults (these reporters for example) should appreciate this and realize that the best time to ask such question is not right after a game in which your coach thought you played poorly. Sadly the players answers were the most adult thing about this entire episode, and yes I'm including Geno scathing comments as part of the episode.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Media training is most definitely a thing, in any industry where you might have to speak to media. I used to work for a PR company that did exactly this - media train corporate employees. Part of the training to learning how to answer questions professionally, redirect them, or not to answer at all. Training UConn players to speak to the media is actually a great life skill that will serve them well in any future endeavors, so I'm confused as to how it's not treating them as adults.

It's also not incumbent on reporters to take into account players' feelings when asking questions after a loss. That's not a thing. Again - they can choose not to answer, but it's part of the game, especially at a high profile place like UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Media training is most definitely a thing, in any industry where you might have to speak to media. I used to work for a PR company that did exactly this - media train corporate employees. Part of the training to learning how to answer questions professionally, redirect them, or not to answer at all. Training UConn players to speak to the media is actually a great life skill that will serve them well in any future endeavors, so I'm confused as to how it's not treating them as adults.
It's also not incumbent on reporters to take into account players' feelings when asking questions after a loss. That's not a thing. Again - they can choose not to answer, but it's part of the game, especially at a high profile place like UConn.
UCONN WCBB are not the same as corporate employees. Thanks to CD and others the UCONN WBB team are very savy and articulate with the media. The UCONN players don't need more PR training to learn to "not answer" as long as they have CD.
The professional media had access to Geno before they spoke to the players. It was unecessary and inconsiderate to ask Azura what she thought about her coach ripping her. What is Azura going to say?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
would you then agree that reporters should not have access to a college team after... a loss? an ugly win? a game?

This is a goofy discussion. Unlike most people, these players have been dealing with media/questions for a loooong time. The media doesn't hold them hostage. If a player says, "I'd rather not answer that at the moment," most folks would move on. The players aren't cowards, and neither should the media be. "Access" is important, but you can't let that dictate what you do or do not ask. (NOT saying reporters don't see/have access to a ton of stuff they do not report on. Trust is key).

Reaction Score
Yup. It's a dance. The reporters know they have to ask some of those questions, and the players have been trained on how to respond. Then after the questions are asked and not answered, they move on. No biggie.
Would love to see at least one of them throw out the old “Belichick” answer. “ We’re on to Temple.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
would you then agree that reporters should not have access to a college team after... a loss? an ugly win? a game?
This is a goofy discussion. Unlike most people, these players have been dealing with media/questions for a loooong time. The media doesn't hold them hostage. If a player says, "I'd rather not answer that at the moment," most folks would move on. The players aren't cowards, and neither should the media be. "Access" is important, but you can't let that dictate what you do or do not ask. (NOT saying reporters don't see/have access to a ton of stuff they do not report on. Trust is key).
Reporters should absolutely have access to the players after a win or loss regardless of how ugly or pretty. Not suggesting anyone involved in the process is or should be a coward. Trust is indeed key, as are tact & professionalism.
Not tactful or useful: Q: “Azura your coach said that the people who came to the game should get their money back, what do you think?”

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I know they aren't corporate employees. My point is, media training is important, and it's fine for them to recognize questions they should and should not answer. It's fine for the reporters to ask questions, and it's fine for the players not to answer them. And CD doesn't answer for them, they can answer for themselves. UConn does a great job of preparing these women to speak articulately in front of a camera, which is indeed a life skill that will serve them well down the road.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Would love to see at least one of them throw out the old “Belichick” answer. “ We’re on to Temple.”
thats what Im talking about if they started acting like Coach Pop (Spurs) or Marshawn Lynch that would be funny. Why aren't they "trained" to speak their mind... its nice of CD to teach them "proper speaking" but training them to say things "the UConn way" is silly. Is she teaching them to be themselves as well after UConn?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Reporters should absolutely have access to the players after a win or loss regardless of how ugly or pretty. Not suggesting anyone involved in the process is or should be a coward. Trust is indeed key, as are tact & professionalism.
Not tactful or useful: Q: “Azura your coach said that the people who came to the game should get their money back, what do you think?”
thanks Coco

Reaction Score
Actually that’s what he asked Kia. He asked Z what she throught of coach saying, “It’s not possible to give up more layups than she does.”

Yes they should be able to deal with it, and they did. They sucked it up and took the party line and we learned absolutely nothing from the whole 3 interviews except that the reporters were xxxxx’s [my word got auto-edited].

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the nice things about Uconn WCBB and WCBB in general is that it remains a universe where 'investigative' journalism still takes a back seat to a more gentle brand of reporting - as it should. That doesn't mean that a UNC story or one like the Tyler Summit issue do not get investigated and reported, just that the level of snooping and the grilling in those instances are mostly directed at the schools and the professionals on the staff and not the college age players.

On the men's side there is a bit more intensity focused on the players, but even the horror of the PSU situation pretty much left the current players alone.

Reaction Score
One of the nice things about Uconn WCBB and WCBB in general is that it remains a universe where 'investigative' journalism still takes a back seat to a more gentle brand of reporting - as it should. That doesn't mean that a UNC story or one like the Tyler Summit issue do not get investigated and reported, just that the level of snooping and the grilling in those instances are mostly directed at the schools and the professionals on the staff and not the college age players.

On the men's side there is a bit more intensity focused on the players, but even the horror of the PSU situation pretty much left the current players alone.
I have no problem with the players getting asked the hard questions. In this case I just thought that, if the interviewer's job is to ask probing questions in a way that gets the players to provide insight, then they were particularly bad at it. It seemed like they just wanted to be the first one to say, "Did you hear what Geno is saying about you? Na-na-na-na-naaaa-na."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have no problem with the players getting asked the hard questions. In this case I just thought that, if the interviewer's job is to ask probing questions in a way that gets the players to provide insight, then they were particularly bad at it. It seemed like they just wanted to be the first one to say, "Did you hear what Geno is saying about you? Na-na-na-na-naaaa-na."
do they expect the players to say "Coach is wrong, I think I played well and my defense is great." How do they answer those question without looking like they're being bullied into say "the right thing". Geno can speak his mind but they cant?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
do they expect the players to say "Coach is wrong, I think I played well and my defense is great." How do they answer those question without looking like they're being bullied into say "the right thing". Geno can speak his mind but they cant?

LOL. They're not delicate fleurs! You think they can't answer directly? Give as good as they get? OR, be honest and provide honest reflection.

Sheesh. Please explain how that's not "tactful" or "useful"? You think they've never heard something like that out of his mouth? Several options in response:

He's entitled to his opinion. We won, didn't we?

I agree with him. We used our talent, not our skill, and I hate it when I play like that.

He was right. I wasn't *fill in the blank*

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ah coach is talking crazy... they paid, we played and won! its a win win you know how coach always exaggerate and is never please

Reaction Score
Remember when KML made a behind-the-back dribble & spin move for a razzle-dazzle layup, and after the game Geno sort of made fun of her (normally not-so-nimble), implied it must have been an accident, etc. Reporter told KML what he said and she said something like, "He can say whatever he wants - I made the move."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Remember when KML made a behind-the-back dribble & spin move for a razzle-dazzle layup, and after the game Geno sort of made fun of her (normally not-so-nimble), implied it must have been an accident, etc. Reporter told KML what he said and she said something like, "He can say whatever he wants - I made the move."
that was a positive move so it was back and forth banter... Did Geno make KLS cry, did KLS ever get questioned about how she felt about that? (I cant recall)

Reaction Score
that was a positive move so it was back and forth banter... Did Geno make KLS cry, did KLS ever get questioned about how she felt about that? (I cant recall)
Good point - it was a positive play. But Geno passed up the reporter's obvious offer of an opportunity to compliment KML on it, and instead gave a backhanded criticism of Kaleena's lack of mobility and handle. The similarity with the other night was the reporter broke the news to the athlete -with the cameras rolling - that her coach said something critical about her to the world. The KML thing was actually on live TV, but you're right - it was more light-hearted. The other other night was much worse.

Reaction Score
UCONN WCBB are not the same as corporate employees. Thanks to CD and others the UCONN WBB team are very savy and articulate with the media. The UCONN players don't need more PR training to learn to "not answer" as long as they have CD.
The professional media had access to Geno before they spoke to the players. It was unecessary and inconsiderate to ask Azura what she thought about her coach ripping her. What is Azura going to say?
Really? You'd rather the reporter printed the remark without giving her a chance to respond?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Good point - it was a positive play. But Geno passed up the reporter's obvious offer of an opportunity to compliment KML on it, and instead gave a backhanded criticism of Kaleena's lack of mobility and handle. The similarity with the other night was the reporter broke the news to the athlete -with the cameras rolling - that her coach said something critical about her to the world. The KML thing was actually on live TV, but you're right - it was more light-hearted. The other other night was much worse.
true... still had to dog out KML over her nifty move smh

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom