Question: Which two recruiting blunders by rivals most benefitted the UConn women? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question: Which two recruiting blunders by rivals most benefitted the UConn women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Thank you RadyLady....based on your response it appears there is a reasonable gap between provocative/controversial comments and trolldom

As always, a human element is involved in determining one or the other. Some see some things as provoking and controversial, others dismiss it as nothing, and not everyone will agree.

The long time posters on this board are a great bunch. I remember my first couple of posts on the board - I was nervous of course, because between them all was an obvious camaraderie, a great deal of basketball knowledge, and unbridled passion for the UConn women's basketball program. I admit was scared at first I would make a mistake, be made fun of, and so on, but you know what? I really wanted to be a part of this board and learn from these folks, so I posted and waited and I was fine. I didn't post anything too pushy or controversial, I let them get to know me, and now for the most part I am one of the gang.

So if you are new and anxious about posting, I say get over it, think about what you are going to say before you say it and then go about it. And be patient.

There are different personalities on the board, and you have to realize that this is an internet board, so sometimes it is difficult to determine the intent of the poster, but that is something that can be realized over time once you get used to posting styles. The anonymity of the internet sometimes releases unusual qualities in people that they would not normally display in daily conversation with other adults. We see that all the time on social media sites and of course, on fan forums such as this one.

Also you have to realized that everyone has their opinion, and no one likes to be told that they are wrong. So you have to learn to walk away. Just as I said, I was new once, and here I am.

Good luck, and welcome to the Boneyard.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Perhaps you, since you seem to be intent on finding controversy in an otherwise innocuous thread. Personally I hope he continues to post. His Sue Byrd trivia question led me to a fruitless Google search - obviously JS has a better search engine.

While I don't know how to answer his question regarding recruiting blunders - I read it as which coach screwed up enough to cause a recruit to come to UConn instead - I think the answer would have to come from a recruit or a player. It certainly seems like a reasonable thing to ask.

IMO I think that the question is provocative in it's way, and some answers may incite some of our posters from other teams...just saying.

JS

Reaction Score
Perhaps you, since you seem to be intent on finding controversy in an otherwise innocuous thread. Personally I hope he continues to post. His Sue Byrd trivia question led me to a fruitless Google search - obviously JS has a better search engine.
Same search engine. Just better, simpler or luckier, search terms.

"Susan Byrd basketball," after just a few Sue Bird hits, leads here:

http://www.fanbase.com/Susan-Byrd

Click on the 1992-93 link and you get lots of references to Van Chancellor.

Like you, I don't remotely consider rickyH's posts to be trolling. Wouldn't even have occurred to me.

They're trivia questions, sometimes with an amusing or ironic twist. Kind of enjoyable, IMO.

The only edgy thing here is that we're even having this discussion. The word "blunders" in reference to UConn rivals is trolling? A thread about put-down lines in movies is? Really?

Think I'll report the post accusing you, Ricky. Keep 'em coming.

Reaction Score
I remember Diana saying going to Tennessee and be coached by a woman? That would be like taking orders from my Mother!!!!!! Words to that effect.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Regarding the discussion about the OP's post and intentions: I find it surprising and disappointing that there's been no clarification from him/her concerning what he/she was really trying to ask.

JS

Reaction Score
Regarding the discussion about the OP's post and intentions: I find it surprising and disappointing that there's been no clarification from him/her concerning what he/she was really trying to ask.
Ricky is a he, based on his avatar.

And he hasn't been to the board since the original post, so he doesn't know about the prevailing puzzlement. Busy with other things one presumes.

He did the same thing with the Byrd thread. Long wait before he showed up to declare the winners.

Come to think of it, that one was surprising and disappointing, since I had the right answer and had to wait too long to bask in my well-deserved glory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Being new to this, I was not trying to "troll" or to be imprecise in my wording and apologize for doing so in the minds of many. With limited space, I was trying to get to the point as quickly as possible. I did it badly and I'm sorry. It is not in my nature to be hurtful or mean. My posting intent is to be insightful and entertaining and to provide a different look at things, that's all. I try to be civil and show people respect in all aspects of my life. HuskyNan is right, the two players I had in mind were Kara Wolters and Alana Beard. Tennessee signing Alana, and she begged them to do so, would have given them a greater chance to beat UConn during the Diana Taurasi years. UConn kept meeting the Vols in the Final Four and narrowly defeating them. Things may have been different if they added Alana to the mix. The direction of women's college basketball could have changed. To me, this is interesting. To interpret this as a smear of Pat Summitt is to infer something I never implied. She made a mistake, one of only a few in her career. She has eight national championships. She doesn't have to defend herself. I never expected the hostility generated by a harmless question or a micro-analysis of its wording. But to anyone who thinks that I am a threat to civilization, their world must be a terrifying place to them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Being new to this, I was not trying to "troll" or to be imprecise in my wording and apologize for doing so in the minds of many. With limited space, I was trying to get to the point as quickly as possible. I did it badly and I'm sorry. It is not in my nature to be hurtful or mean. My posting intent is to be insightful and entertaining and to provide a different look at things, that's all. I try to be civil and show people respect in all aspects of my life. HuskyNan is right, the two players I had in mind were Kara Wolters and Alana Beard. Tennessee signing Alana, and she begged them to do so, would have given them a greater chance to beat UConn during the Diana Taurasi years. UConn kept meeting the Vols in the Final Four and narrowly defeating them. Things may have been different if they added Alana to the mix. The direction of women's college basketball could have changed. To me, this is interesting. To interpret this as a smear of Pat Summitt is to infer something I never implied. She made a mistake, one of only a few in her career. She has eight national championships. She doesn't have to defend herself. I never expected the hostility generated by a harmless question or a micro-analysis of its wording. But to anyone who thinks that I am a threat to civilization, their world must be a terrifying place to them.
I hope you don't let a few harsh responses color your opinion of the Boneyard. Most here are perfectly nice folks that will undoubtedly ask next time before assuming ill intent on your part. It's just that we don't know you yet but hopefully we soon will.

Welcome to the 'Yard!

Reaction Score
How about Renee Montgomery? Wasn't she overlooked mostly because Alexis Hornbuckle, who was on her HS team, was a year older and thought to be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the HS class of 2004?

JS

Reaction Score
How about Renee Montgomery? Wasn't she overlooked mostly because Alexis Hornbuckle, who was on her HS team, was a year older and thought to be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the HS class of 2004?
I remember Geno being at one of that high school's games, and the media asked him what he thought of Hornbuckle after watching her. He replied "Great player but she's not coming to UConn . . . " [Recruiting violation? Quick! Call the cops! It's never too late!]

As that answer implied, he was really there scouting Renee.

Reaction Score
That's the ugly side of the internet.

There is a high degree of safety in cyberspace.

Absolutely. People feel free to say things on the internet that they'd never say to a person's face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom