Question to the players: What do you like most about Geno? | The Boneyard

Question to the players: What do you like most about Geno?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geno and UConn recruit great people -- that's part of what makes Geno a great coach and UConn a great program. There's no resentment that he pushes them so hard. They WANT to be pushed hard.

And off the court, outside of practice, he cares for and about them.

That's why I'm so passionate about this program. The winning is great, but the camaraderie is what I really love.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember which game from Nika's freshman season that footage was from?

Reaction Score
Definitely not Tennessee, she didn't play that game (coaches decision). I'm thinking the game before maybe , which would have been Butler.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Definitely not Tennessee, she didn't play that game (coaches decision). I'm thinking the game before maybe , which would have been Butler.
I'm pretty sure it was the game before the Tennessee game. After that conversation, he surprisingly put her back into the game. She did not play against Tennessee, but Geno surprised everyone by starting her the game after as Paige turned her ankle against the LadyVols. The rest is history.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Tennessee I think?
That was at Seton Hall 12/15/2020. Weird games that season, few if any fans allowed, Geno was unusually grumpy that season.

Nika missed a few games with a foot injury, got a DNP against Tennessee, but started against Georgetown on 1/23/2021 because Paige tweaked her foot against Tennessee (surgery for it after the season). From that point on Nika got significant minutes and became a big factor. Pretty amazing turnaround.

That team probably doesn’t get the credit it deserves. Only two losses, totally demolished the Big East, wins over South Carolina, Tennessee and Baylor, unfortunately played a bad game against Arizona.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Anyone remember which game from Nika's freshman season that footage was from?
IMHO, the important thing for both Geno & Nika is that they figured out how to work with each other, and what each wanted. In other situations (teams, schools), an interaction like that could have a negative effect. At the end of the day, most/all of our players know that he has their best interests in mind. Other schools probably have some coaches that do a great job of keeping in touch with alums, however I loved that the current players talked about all the alums texting him.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It was the Butler game, I remember it because of the red UConn sweatshirt Geno is wearing along with the mask as well as the seats being separated due to COVID rules.

Correct (my bad), the white uniforms are also a tell (wore blue on road versus Seton Hall).

So even more remarkable, she started and played 36 minutes four days later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom