Question re: PMs | The Boneyard

Question re: PMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How do we PM someone on the board so the message is truly private?

The "start a conversation" posts seem to be viewable to everyone...I just read comments between posters that I felt like I shouldn't be privy to.

Thanks!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
That start a conversation is private. You select the posters name and only you and they can see it.

JS

Reaction Score
How do we PM someone on the board so the message is truly private?

The "start a conversation" posts seem to be viewable to everyone...I just read comments between posters that I felt like I shouldn't be privy to.

Thanks!
Any PM you start only includes the person(s) you enter in the Participants box. If you're reading something between others it's because you were designated an original participant, or the originator added you, or the originator checked the box for "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others" and one of the other participants invited you.

Hey, what did you read? Sounds like something juicy.

Reaction Score
Any PM you start only includes the person(s) you enter in the Participants box. If you're reading something between others it's because you were designated an original participant, or the originator added you, or the originator checked the box for "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others" and one of the other participants invited you.

When I clicked on the poster's name I read a conversation about a long ago thread that was quite heated. I've never had conversations with any posters before so didn't know why I could read any of it.

I did just contact a poster. If I get banned b/c everyone can read it I know who to blame. LOL

JS

Reaction Score
When I clicked on the poster's name I read a conversation about a long ago thread that was quite heated. I've never had conversations with any posters before so didn't know why I could read any of it.

I did just contact a poster. If I get banned b/c everyone can read it I know who to blame. LOL
When you "click on a poster's name," if you mean you're clicking on the avatar, or the name under it, you come to something called Profile Posts, among other things. Those are conversations that are NOT private. Anyone who clicks on the poster's name or avatar can read them.

If that's what you just did, you have the ability to delete it.

To start a private conversation, click on your Inbox at upper right. Then click on Start a New Conversation at upper right and go from there, entering a subject and the desired participant(s).

If you don't follow these instructions successfully, you WILL get banned -- for general ineptitude.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
inside scoop that said Diamond, Erica and Linnae were all getting set to verbal this weekend! i was part of the messages. oops! did i let the cat out of the bag??!!! :p

Reaction Score
inside scoop that said Diamond, Erica and Linnae were all getting set to verbal this weekend! i was part of the messages. oops! did i let the cat out of the bag??!!! :p
I'll never tell . . . :)

Reaction Score
When you "click on a poster's name," if you mean you're clicking on the avatar, or the name under it, you come to something called Profile Posts, among other things. Those are conversations that are NOT private. Anyone who clicks on the poster's name or avatar can read them.

To start a private conversation, click on your Inbox at upper right. Then click on Start a New Conversation at upper right and go from there, entering a subject and the desired participant(s).

If you don't follow these instructions successfully, you WILL get banned -- for general ineptitude.
Thanks, I figured it out. For today anyway!

Reaction Score

If you click on the avatar or the screen name (at the left side of a post) of a person, you can select Start a New Conversation. Wouldn't that automatically start a private conversation with that person? Wouldn't it be the same as clicking the inbox as you describe above except you don't have to add the recipient of the message?

Reaction Score

JS - did you mean banned "by" general ineptitude? That's MY name. Signed: General Ineptitude

JS

Reaction Score
If you click on the avatar or the screen name (at the left side of a post) of a person, you can select Start a New Conversation. Wouldn't that automatically start a private conversation with that person? Wouldn't it be the same as clicking the inbox as you describe above except you don't have to add the recipient of the message?
You're right, Beast-Fighter. I condensed two steps. Speaking of ineptitude.

With the avatar click you get an expanded avatar with four links.

One of them, the Start a Conversation link, is indeed the same as clicking the Inbox, but with the added convenience of the system filling in the other participant for you.

Another link is to the Profile Page. THAT's where you can see the non-private Profile Posts and resulting conversations, and that's where I think justML was.

JS

Reaction Score
I'll never tell . . . :)
I took a stab at guessing where you looked and found some Profile Posts that I'm pretty sure weren't meant to be public. If they were, we'd have a problem with them.

So I cleaned them out. Take another look and tell me if I was right about the Profile where they resided.

Reaction Score
Another link is to the Profile Page. THAT's where you can see the non-private Profile Posts and resulting conversations, and that's where I think justML was.

I think that's where I was too.

Fun place to check out. Like eavesdropping without the fear of getting caught!

Reaction Score
I took a stab at guessing where you looked and found some Profile Posts that I'm pretty sure weren't meant to be public. If they were, we'd have a problem with them.

So I cleaned them out. Take another look and tell me if I was right about the Profile where they resided.

Wow! You're good, JS.

Everything I read that I thought would have been private is gone now . . . glad I asked my original question:)

JS

Reaction Score
Everything I read that I thought would have been private is gone now . . . glad I asked my original question:)
As public discourse, you could call it embarrassing candor, I think.

Reaction Score
And here I thought you were General Jubilation T. Cornpone.

I can't imagine a more likely place to find "Jubilations" than in a place dedicated to UConn wbb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom