OT: - Question RE: Cutting the cord and OOMA/Home Security System | The Boneyard

OT: Question RE: Cutting the cord and OOMA/Home Security System

Reaction Score
My plan for cutting the cord was to get the local wifi (gonetspeed) and use Ooma for home phone service (wife still uses it). Turns out our home security system can't send emergency signals properly the way a land line does. Other option would be to get land line only through comcast but that's about $40/month and negates most of the savings from cutting the cord. Has anyone been through this in the past and has a workaround?

Reaction Score
I think most home security systems have a cellular option. I have an ADT cellular box that was origingally meant for backup, but now it is supposed to work to notify them (and then they call me on my cell). I don't remember how much I paid for it as a back-up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We have SimpliSafe.

We don’t have a landline - the system has a 4G cellular connection for monitoring.

Costs $24.99 a month.

Reaction Score
We have SimpliSafe.

We don’t have a landline - the system has a 4G cellular connection for monitoring.

Costs $24.99 a month.
I use standard security for $32/month but it doesn't have that 4G connection. Looking more into this it looks like there is a way to connect Ooma directly to my old land line. I could also get a radio (dedicated cell line) to send the signal but that just adds to the monthly cost as well. Beginning to think cutting the cord is not worth the hassle at this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom