Question on UConn social media policy | The Boneyard

Question on UConn social media policy

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I am asking this question based on a blow-up that is now occurring on VolNation regarding a "fan" posting really negative comments about Westbrook, which led to a sharp post from her mom resulting in angst about whether Evina will now want to transfer.

I know that the staff requires the players to put away social media during the course of the season. My question is: does anyone know if the school encourages the players' parents to do likewise? I can't imagine that they could require this but it is within their rights to make the suggestion/request. Just wondering if they do or not.

Reaction Score
I am asking this question based on a blow-up that is now occurring on VolNation regarding a "fan" posting really negative comments about Westbrook, which led to a sharp post from her mom resulting in angst about whether Evina will now want to transfer.

I know that the staff requires the players to put away social media during the course of the season. My question is: does anyone know if the school encourages the players' parents to do likewise? I can't imagine that they could require this but it is within their rights to make the suggestion/request. Just wondering if they do or not.
I dont know the answer about Parents media. Over the years Geno has encouraged (I'm being nice) parents to keep comments to themselves. Typically he won't recruit players whose parents expect Serious involvement with the program.
As to the Fan and parent back and forth negativism: If the player will allow the negative comment of ONE fan to force her to transfer; her feet where probably heading that way before the comment. Uconn kids, or someone on that staff, read the BY and negative comments have followed a player or 3 for a few seasons. I don't remember any transferring and naming the BY.

Reaction Score
I visited the VolNation website to see what you were referring to. It seems that the fan posted their comments on FB. Just another good reason to steer clear of FB.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've never heard anything specific on parents being urged to limit or refrain from using social media.

I will say, regarding this whole Westbrook kerfuffle, that people are blowing the fans' role WAY out of proportion. If she or anyone else decides to transfer, it certainly won't be because she felt underappreciated by some overzealous fans. One player's mom supposedly going off on social media is just a sideshow.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So the UConn players are banned from all social media platforms... Or just Twitter?

cabbie191

Reaction Score
I've never heard anything specific on parents being urged to limit or refrain from using social media.

I will say, regarding this whole Westbrook kerfuffle, that people are blowing the fans' role WAY out of proportion. If she or anyone else decides to transfer, it certainly won't be because she felt underappreciated by some overzealous fans. One player's mom supposedly going off on social media is just a sideshow.

I agree, and I think this has been typical of Lady Voldom for quite a long time.

It goes back to the rise of UConn as a challenger to UT's dominance and I think played a hand in the rather idiotic charges UT and the SEC made against Geno, Connecticut, and even the Boneyard. Today it continues in the fan base's reaction to Warlick's tenure.

Granted that Holly is not proving to be an elite coach, and if I were a Lady Vol fan I'd be unhappy about where the program is today compared to 15 years ago, but still, the negativity launched at her is full blown hysteria. If I were the parent of a potential LV recruit, the comments on VolNation would give me pause to recommending my kid go to Knoxville.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

One reason Geno and Co. not only recruit really good kids, but also try to recruit really good families.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I believe the restriction on social media is that they cant post or respond to messages. I have seen "likes" done by player(s). Obviously they can read all of the social media they want.
As for parents, no restrictions as far as I know.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I've seen players interacting with posts on Instagram and I've also seen some of that interaction deleted.

I wonder if they're just learning to monitor themselves, or if someone on staff is watching over their shoulder.

Reaction Score
can't understand why a parent at the big DI level could give a damn what a fan on the internet thinks, I know with my daughter she (and I) really only care what her coaches and team mates think.......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Boneyard can be considered social media. Parents, high school & AAUcoaches, and occasionally players read the board

I once asked Geno straight out if he read the Boneyard and he said, “No, but everyone else does”. At one point, Kathy Auriemma read the board.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Boneyard can be considered social media. Parents, high school & AAUcoaches, and occasionally players read the board

I once asked Geno straight out if he read the Boneyard and he said, “No, but everyone else does”. At one point, Kathy Auriemma read the board.

"Kathy, I'm begging you, can you never say that word again and certainly not when we are cooking together or eating?"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've seen players interacting with posts on Instagram and I've also seen some of that interaction deleted.

I wonder if they're just learning to monitor themselves, or if someone on staff is watching over their shoulder.

I recall at one point House Mom CD followed them all on their media pages.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I recall at one point House Mom CD followed them all on their media pages.

Veeerrryyyy interesting. The thought had crossed my mind at one point, but assumed she had better things to do.

cabbie191

Reaction Score

Nan - this is a good place to thank you and the other mods for the posting rules on this forum and your actually enforcing them. I like VolNation much more than I did the Summitt when it was a free board, but I find it sometimes a slog with what posters are allowed to write. I like that we are only allowed a certain level of vitriol.

Reaction Score
I’d have to bet there are two teans in Evina’s home state that wouldn’t mind her services.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom